Frees and loans

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

For my own sanity I refused to get drawn into discussions around the clubs budget.

This thread was from last June, before we spent £4m on Anel.

Heckys budget won't be massive, but I'm confident he can bring in some good foreign signings and a couple of big players on PL loans.

See where we are on 12th August.

For my own sanity I refused to get drawn into discussions around the clubs budget.

Heckys budget won't be massive, but I'm confident he can bring in some good foreign signings and a couple of big players on PL loans.

exactly and i dont believe for one minute weve only got a 20m budget hecky plays things down no doubt about that

I saw this post has been bumped up and thought it was something I posted after the promotion parade 🤯 I can't remember the timeline now but I assume the bid I mentioned that was in was Anel.

For as much as Hecky distorts the truth as a tactic in press conferences he was spot on then and he's saying frees and loans again now 🤷‍♂️

This is an incorrect unfair generalisation of free transfers.

What you should have said is

The problem with GOOD free transfers is they expect to be paid a large wage

😂😂
I feel bad ones also command a higher wage as well (ask Wednesday fans)

For as much as Hecky distorts the truth as a tactic in press conferences he was spot on then and he's saying frees and loans again now 🤷‍♂️
There are some good free transfers available though. Just hope we can draw them in.

Ryan Manning, Yerry Mina, Tom Davies etc.

Time for our scouting network to earn their crust

The problem we're going to get this season in attracting any of these 'big name' free transfers is that they know we'll be relegation fodder scrappers. Therefore it probably becomes a financial decision for them based on which of the relegation fodder teams are offering them the most money and longest contract with the lowest relegation reduction clause. Either that or Hecky sells them the dream about how we're going to play attractive, attacking football and tear the league a new one.

In all honesty can anyone see us being the number 1 draw in terms of contracts offered or football played?!

We should have more chance than Luton (apart from the living in London bit), because they are a different type of football side to us and Burnley, but we'll be the next to last choice for most.

The problem we're going to get this season in attracting any of these 'big name' free transfers is that they know we'll be relegation fodder scrappers. Therefore it probably becomes a financial decision for them based on which of the relegation fodder teams are offering them the most money and longest contract with the lowest relegation reduction clause. Either that or Hecky sells them the dream about how we're going to play attractive, attacking football and tear the league a new one.

In all honesty can anyone see us being the number 1 draw in terms of contracts offered or football played?!

We should have more chance than Luton (apart from the living in London bit), because they are a different type of football side to us and Burnley, but we'll be the next to last choice for most.
I'm not sure there are even that many "known" free transfers we'll want.

Manning surely very high on the list, but his signature might be between (at a guess) us, Burnley, Southampton.

I'd be pretty interested in Nathan Redmond.

Who are the other vaguely realistic frees that are up to scratch? Brereton-Diaz isn't getting mentioned but probably isn't as desired as he'd hoped. Morelos from Rangers maybe.

Manning surely very high on the list, but his signature might be between (at a guess) us, Burnley, Southampton.

Who are the other vaguely realistic frees that are up to scratch? Brereton-Diaz isn't getting mentioned but probably isn't as desired as he'd hoped. Morelos from Rangers maybe.
I'd imagine we'd 'want' quite a few of them, however they'll need paying so there's a very small chance of getting anyone. That's my point really.

What's Rodwell up to nowadays?!

Brereton Diaz is going to Villareal.

Let's have a think about some of the big fees Wilder brought in last time we got promoted. It's not always about having a massive budget. It's about being smart with what we have.

Yes, we aren't as attractive as a lot of premier league teams, we won't be paying massive wages but most of our squad LOVE playing for this club, they didn't come expectations of huge wages or being near London so we must have something that attracts them. Henderson, Gibbs White, Doyle and Mcatee all came on loan and excelled and loved it so we have a good track record with young loan players in recent years.

Hecky says he expects a tough window but he'll do all he can to get in what he thinks we need. Let's try to be positive, we're in the top 20 teams in this country, we have some great young players coming through, Hecky deserves a chance to show he can get the right players in. He speaks well, Let's try to enjoy the ride and IF we go back down, so what, we'll go again all the stronger for the experience 💪

Yeah I know that's been mooted for months. But I've not seen anything recently suggesting it's actually happened or happening.
I don't think it's been rubber stamped but think free transfers usually happen when the contract ends on 1st July. All online articles suggest it's happening.

Charlie Wellens - on a free. Released by Man Utd's academy, plays RB, RWB, CM - so versatile. And in that, U23 premier league got 1 goal and 1 assist in 11 games.

I’m actually quite excited over the prospect of whom we might unearth. Anel was unknown to me and was a stellar bit of business. It could be a bit ‘Moneyball’ in that we hopefully find players overlooked elsewhere but fit perfectly into our system and culture.

We mocked Forest last year for spaffing fortunes on largely mediocre players. Hardly made them world beaters. With the right mindset and systems, having to be more methodical and prudent with every pound might just work out for the better.

Matheson released by Wolves lost his way after his big move but still a youngster and might be a candidate for a fix em up job. Caveat of course being that we’re well stocked at rightback

Ainsley Maureen’s-Niles released today…any takers?

Something doesn't quite correlate with the expectation of the signings coming late in the window.

I get the bit about loans. You're waiting to see those higher up the food chain get themselves sorted so you need to wait to see who they can release.

To some degree, you can understand if Forest waited to see how much interest there would be in Lewis O'Brien before signing off his departure, though it does feel his City Ground career is over before it has started, given the additional players they signed, and from his side, the poor treatment he ended up getting.

However, for frees, this surely does not hold true. Whilst player will have a little time to weigh up their options, these guys without clubs will be waiting to their own detriment once pre-season training commences and they are without an employer.

Frees are important so as mentioned specifically by CaptainMorgans swapping out 33 year old Pukki for 27 year old Sharp and 27 year old Manning for soon-to-be 33 year old Enda Stevens is a no brainer.

Likewise if we see something in 25 year old Maitland-Niles, then I don't see too much benefit in dragging our heals.

As time ticks on, the number of candidates for our open roles will be ever decreasing.

The transfermarkt page is not being helpful.

Loads must have disappeared. Massengo from Bristol City. Even Pukki.

I’m actually quite excited over the prospect of whom we might unearth. Anel was unknown to me and was a stellar bit of business. It could be a bit ‘Moneyball’ in that we hopefully find players overlooked elsewhere but fit perfectly into our system and culture.

We mocked Forest last year for spaffing fortunes on largely mediocre players. Hardly made them world beaters. With the right mindset and systems, having to be more methodical and prudent with every pound might just work out for the better.

I don't think Anel arrived via some clever scouting. He was recommended by Jack Lester who'd coached him at Forest.

I don't think Anel arrived via some clever scouting. He was recommended by Jack Lester who'd coached him at Forest.
Right, but I never said scouting needed to be clever. I said we need to be prudent and methodical, and go for players overlooked by others that would fit our system. Anel is a brilliant example of that, doesn’t really matter how we scouted him, the fact is he’s worth 5 times what we paid for him minimum.

Back
Top Bottom