Best goals seen at bramall Lane

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Just seen the Pele miss on you tube and very similar as I remember it ,would put it up but IAM useless with technology

Yep my favourite to correct me if IAM wrong ,I thought he was put through by Morris one on one with the keeper Ray Cashley but then ran around the keeper before walking the ball up to the kop with arms in the air and tapping it in , I've sure I've seen a picture with the keeper on his knees AMAZING
The keeper and the covering defender collided when he dummied. It was a thing of beauty.

Tony Pritchett in the Green Un “his 39th goal of the season, and probably his easiest”

My Dad won 5 quid Star Letter writing in and pointing out it was worthy of Pele (who of course missed in the same situation).

Mel Sterland's FK for L***s in the 2-2 has to be up there for an away goal. If the net hadn't stopped it,it would have killed someone on the kop.
if we are broadening it out (and it hurts to say this) and if I'm honest ,the best goal scored at BL by a Utd player ,in my time (since Sept 1970) , was scored by Terry Curran when he played for Weds. Boxed off in the corner , back to goal with 2/3 players surrounding him.... well ..... you know the rest.

Woodward two goals at Derby away. both from 25 to 30 yards out. Edwards at port vale away. Hefferman scored a beauty at Bramall Lane. I was there and forgot who was against.. my favorite Woodward against Leicester boxing day 1970 at Bramall Lane. a free kick just outside the penalty area I think. It curled round the wall and Shilton just stood and watched the ball go in. he was nowhere near it. split second that how quick it was.

dam, why spoil it by mentioning Curran's goal. I don,t want my tea now spoiled my appetite.

As no one else has mentioned it, Patrick Suffo's brief spell with United yielded several brilliant goals, he only scored 5 for us, each one a beauty! The best of which was v Rotherham in a 2 - 2 draw, I'd say it's similar to Tony Currie's v West Ham skip to 4.40 on the video. For two more crackers see 3.00 gone for v Grimsby Town. Suffo also scored a screamer against United the season after at Coventry which is on the second video 1.18; Jack Lester got the winner for us that day thankfully!

In terms of skill I don't think many had more than Suffo in my time following United 89 onwards, it's just a shame that Suffo was a total loose cannon otherwise he'd have gone onto much bigger things but probably never joined us in the first place!

if we are broadening it out (and it hurts to say this) and if I'm honest ,the best goal scored at BL by a Utd player ,in my time (since Sept 1970) , was scored by Terry Curran when he played for Weds. Boxed off in the corner , back to goal with 2/3 players surrounding him.... well ..... you know the rest.
Not a patch on the goal by Brown over Wednesday, I've never seen a better goal for or against to be honest, the technique required for that - wow! Curran's was a good goal but the defending is awful, he just runs inside unchallenged; decent finish fair enough.

Not a patch on the goal by Brown over Wednesday, I've never seen a better goal for or against to be honest, the technique required for that - wow! Curran's was a good goal but the defending is awful, he just runs inside unchallenged; decent finish fair enough.
Don’t agree

Curran had much more to do

Mel Sterland's FK for L***s in the 2-2 has to be up there for an away goal. If the net hadn't stopped it,it would have killed someone on the kop.

What a sickener .

It must have been from around 35 yards and I remember thinking surely the daft twat isn’t going to have a go from there but I hope he does so that we can all have a laugh , not anticipating a shot which was still rising when it hit the back of the net at what seemed like 100 mph . :(

Don’t agree

If you can ever stomach to watch it again, have another look at the defending. He just runs away from the goal in a wide arc whilst no United defender bothers to put a challenge in. They just limply run beside him and allow space to turn back to facing the goal before he properly wellys it past Terry Poole. He hit it fair enough but the defending was abysmal. Wasn't a 'great' goal at all in my book as he was allowed to do what he wanted and he didn't actually beat any single defender. We will have to disagree on that one. It certainly wasn't like Steve Wigley's v Blackburn in the 80s when they actually tried to tackle him and he beat man after man with a superb skilful dribble. Chalk and cheese.

That Della’s one that’s mentioned, it was a great strike and I thought it was from way out, like 35/40 yards but I saw a replay of it a few years ago and was surprised it was not too far outside the box, maybe 25 yards at most, still a great goal. I can remember John Ryan scoring a very similar strike.

The John Ryan goal was probably the one v Rotherham in the 80-81 relegation season when we lost 2-1 against the Millers (Richard Finney and Mark Rhodes scored for them to put them 2 up before Ryan's thunderbolt at the kop end). It was filmed and you can find it on UTube I think. Coincidentally that was the last time the Millers won at the Lane. Stan the Man played for them that day too.

I wasn't there in person, however I believe Gil Reece scored a special goal against Birmingham in 1971. The following programme noted that he beat several Birmingham players and an ice-cream salesman before slotting home. He also scored a flying header that day, hence being dubbed "The Flying Welshman".

Alan Young's overhead kick was in a 3-2 win v Oxford at the Lane on 19th March 1983.

Steve Wigley's mazy run was in a 3-3 draw with Blackburn on 16th November 1985. We would have won if Budgie hadn't misjudged a shot that bounced over his shoulder as he bent down to collect it.

I was there for both of those.

There was also the goal that Keith Edwards scored against Bristol Rovers when he dummied the keeper, Pele-esque, however the difference being that Keith actually scored!
100% agree - The Keith Edwards goal was one of the best I've ever seen..

And Bob Atkins last minute winner v Rotherham (away) - Pandemonium. No idea when that was, but what a goal

100% agree - The Keith Edwards goal was one of the best I've ever seen..

And Bob Atkins last minute winner v Rotherham (away) - Pandemonium. No idea when that was, but what a goal
3rd Div promotion season (84)
Not especially a quality goal but (proved to be) extremely significant given we went up on goal difference
Just afore or just after Arnott also got a last minute (1-0) winner @ Sarfend ran from midfield dancing round a couple hundred opponents afore rolling it in on a a pitch akin to A1 half way through refurbishment.
For significance Edwards ( (courageous 😳) header in Bank holiday 3-1 loss @ Bolton has to be most important (ever?) - came home thinking we’d fucked promotion until ‘ull played & lost (to Port Vale ?) that evening
(Very) Thin margins🤔

Woodward two goals at Derby away. both from 25 to 30 yards out. Edwards at port vale away. Hefferman scored a beauty at Bramall Lane. I was there and forgot who was against.. my favorite Woodward against Leicester boxing day 1970 at Bramall Lane. a free kick just outside the penalty area I think. It curled round the wall and Shilton just stood and watched the ball go in. he was nowhere near it. split second that how quick it was.
Those Woodward goals are on youtube. I'm pretty sure McAlister also saved a penalty in that match, but that's not on these highlights.

Don’t agree

Ha ha, each to his own, you defend the Wednesday goal all you like. Not even the best strike by a Wednesday player in a derby at the Lane, I'll not go there as to which one is better.

If you can ever stomach to watch it again, have another look at the defending. He just runs away from the goal in a wide arc whilst no United defender bothers to put a challenge in. They just limply run beside him and allow space to turn back to facing the goal before he properly wellys it past Terry Poole. He hit it fair enough but the defending was abysmal. Wasn't a 'great' goal at all in my book as he was allowed to do what he wanted and he didn't actually beat any single defender. We will have to disagree on that one. It certainly wasn't like Steve Wigley's v Blackburn in the 80s when they actually tried to tackle him and he beat man after man with a superb skilful dribble. Chalk and cheese.
Is there footage of the goal by Wigley over Blackburn, what season was it? Don't think I've seen that.

Is there footage of the goal by Wigley over Blackburn, what season was it? Don't think I've seen that.
I was on the Kop and seem to remember he scored it in the away end but it was really foggy and we could hardly see the finish or maybe it's my memory that's foggy.

No I've never seen any footage of that Steve Wigley goal v Blackburn which is a real shame as it was fantastic skill and he just kept beating man after man. I remember watching it live and thinking that he kept trying to pass the ball off to a teammate but kept hold of it as no bugger wanted to receive the ball off him and so he kept beating another man. I think he surprised himself when he finally beat the last defender and went round the keeper and thought 'sod it, if non of my team mates want the ball off me I'd better put the ball in the net myself then". Strange goal as I don't think for one minute he picked up the ball and thought this is what I'm going to do, he just went on the run and kept going. Brilliant goal though. I bet Yorkshire TV might have footage of it squirreled away somewhere but who knows? It was in November 1985 and we were winning 3-2 until injury time when Burridge had a brain fart and somehow chucked the ball (which was rolling to him very slowly) over his shoulder and into our net. I bet Wigley thought 'what the fuck is going on?' after his goal had put us back in the lead.

Incidentally, I remember going to the reverse match in April 86 and that was when King Edwards grabbed his 200th league goal at Ewood Park. The Blackburn fans were very puzzled as to why the Unitedites were going beserk and loving it so much, as we were 6-0 down at the time. Special breed Unitedites back in the day. 😁

I was on the Kop and seem to remember he scored it in the away end but it was really foggy and we could hardly see the finish or maybe it's my memory that's foggy.

Yes it was at the Bramall Lane end and yes it was a foggy day.

No I've never seen any footage of that Steve Wigley goal v Blackburn which is a real shame as it was fantastic skill and he just kept beating man after man. I remember watching it live and thinking that he kept trying to pass the ball off to a teammate but kept hold of it as no bugger wanted to receive the ball off him and so he kept beating another man. I think he surprised himself when he finally beat the last defender and went round the keeper and thought 'sod it then, if non of my team mates want the ball off me I'd better put the ball in the net myself then". Strange goal as I don't think for one minute he picked up the ball and thought this is what I'm going to do, he just went on the run and kept going. Brilliant goal though. I bet Yorkshire TV might have footage of it squirreled away somewhere but who knows? It was in November 1985 and we were winning 3-2 until injury time when Burridge had a brain fart and somehow chucked the ball (which was rolling to him very slowly) over his shoulder and into our net. I bet Wigley thought 'what the fuck is going on?' after his goal had put us back in the lead.

Incidentally, I remember going to the reverse match in April 86 and that was when King Edwards grabbed his 200th league goal at Ewood Park. The Blackburn fans were very puzzled as to why the Unitedites were going beserk and loving it so much, as we were 6-0 down at the time. Special breed Unitedites back in the day. 😁
There is no footage of the game, sadly. No club video, and there was no TV football early that season due to a dispute between the football league and the TV cos.

Everyone says this equaliser (by John Lowey) was rolling to Burridge but I think that’s wrong. It was a long range shot that was airborne and hit him on the left arm/shoulder and went in. Terrible error all the same

Burridge had that in his locker though. He could pull off some quite unbelievable point blank saves with superb reactions (I remember one at home v Reading when we were 3 up at half time and nearly lost it late on after Stan the Man went off injured and Trevor Senior then had a birthday against our midget defence - his save to get us a point was breathtaking), but then he could be very dodgy at crosses and corner kicks and he did have the occasional 'what the fuck' moment like v Blackburn. I liked him though and he was a proper character and he was a hard bastard (anyone who has medicine balls chucked at their stomach as they lay prone on the floor pre game is a tad off his rocker anyway).

No I've never seen any footage of that Steve Wigley goal v Blackburn which is a real shame as it was fantastic skill and he just kept beating man after man. I remember watching it live and thinking that he kept trying to pass the ball off to a teammate but kept hold of it as no bugger wanted to receive the ball off him and so he kept beating another man. I think he surprised himself when he finally beat the last defender and went round the keeper and thought 'sod it, if non of my team mates want the ball off me I'd better put the ball in the net myself then". Strange goal as I don't think for one minute he picked up the ball and thought this is what I'm going to do, he just went on the run and kept going. Brilliant goal though. I bet Yorkshire TV might have footage of it squirreled away somewhere but who knows? It was in November 1985 and we were winning 3-2 until injury time when Burridge had a brain fart and somehow chucked the ball (which was rolling to him very slowly) over his shoulder and into our net. I bet Wigley thought 'what the fuck is going on?' after his goal had put us back in the lead.

Memories of the Blackburn game:

Budgie's howler cost me a successful accumulator.

I watched the game with a fan of champions elect, Everton. He said it was the best game he'd seen so far that season.

Before Wigley's, Colin Morris scored another fine goal at The Kop end.

Back
Top Bottom