Best goals seen at bramall Lane

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

sheff_blade90

Reaction score
after Ndiaye stunning solo goal on Saturday. i was thinking putting it on here. what are the best goals we've seen in person. & it always good to reminisce & remember some crackers that we may have forgotten

ill start that goal on Saturday i havent seen a better individual goal of that type since Jamie Murphy took on 5 gillingham player. & scored the winner with what felt like final kick of the game in like the 95th minute

after Ndiaye stunning solo goal on Saturday. i was thinking putting it on here. what are the best goals we've seen in person. & it always good to reminisce & remember some crackers that we may have forgotten

ill start that goal on Saturday i havent seen a better individual goal of that type since Jamie Murphy took on 5 gillingham player. & scored the winner with what felt like final kick of the game in like the 95th minute

Sorry but you have to go back to Tony Fields goal , think it was against Ipswich, sure someone will remember date and time. Not the greatest player but a class above for the goal.

Once saw Alan Young score a screamer of an overhead kick from (what I remember) as being way out.... mid 1980s. The other thing I remember about him was that he signed for (what was then) big money.... but spent loads of time out injured. Another goal I recall from that era was a mazy run and goal by Steve Wigley... seemed to start from the half way line and beat every opposition player (well maybe not every one!) before scoring at the Lane end. Can't remember the opposition on either occasion (although I'd have a guess that Young's goal might have been against Oxford....)

Once saw Alan Young score a screamer of an overhead kick from (what I remember) as being way out.... mid 1980s. The other thing I remember about him was that he signed for (what was then) big money.... but spent loads of time out injured. Another goal I recall from that era was a mazy run and goal by Steve Wigley... seemed to start from the half way line and beat every opposition player (well maybe not every one!) before scoring at the Lane end. Can't remember the opposition on either occasion (although I'd have a guess that Young's goal might have been against Oxford....)
Can picture Youngs goal now, brilliant. Can’t remember who it was against but don’t know why but 3 nil and a Young hatrick came to my mind. Probably getting several games mixed into the one mind you.

Michael Brown vs Wendy
Michael Tonge double vs Liverpool
Peschisolido vs Forest

Jon Harley vs Spurs (pre season friendly)

Colin Kazim-Richards vs Bolton
Christian Nade vs Arsenal

These are the first few that immediately sprang to mind.

Tony Currie v West Ham

“A quality goal from a quality player” said Kenneth Wolstenholme on Match of the day.

I had the pleasure of watching it on the day at BDTBL
Pretty sure John Motson was the commentator and indeed one of his iconic moments of commentary.

As others have said - Tony Fields` goal was similar to Maradona v England (2nd of course) wonderful goal

My favourite - followed by Curries v Liverpool

A few contenders in recent years.

Brown vs the Snorters
Jean Calve vs Preston
Jags vs Leeds
Lee Evans vs Boro
Billy vs Leeds
Duffy vs Villa
MGW vs Posh
MGW vs Boro
then Ndaye 'other day.

In terms of goals scored against us, Kyle Bennet's 2 worldies for Donny, in the same match, took some beating.

Last edited:
I wasn't there in person, however I believe Gil Reece scored a special goal against Birmingham in 1971. The following programme noted that he beat several Birmingham players and an ice-cream salesman before slotting home. He also scored a flying header that day, hence being dubbed "The Flying Welshman".

Alan Young's overhead kick was in a 3-2 win v Oxford at the Lane on 19th March 1983.

Steve Wigley's mazy run was in a 3-3 draw with Blackburn on 16th November 1985. We would have won if Budgie hadn't misjudged a shot that bounced over his shoulder as he bent down to collect it.

I was there for both of those.

There was also the goal that Keith Edwards scored against Bristol Rovers when he dummied the keeper, Pele-esque, however the difference being that Keith actually scored!

Like Highlander, 'there can be only one!'

It was against the pigs, it was right in front of their pudgy little snouts in the away end. Really, what's not to like about this one? Actually, if there was one, slight disappointment about the goal, it was that the netting stopped the ball from travelling on and smacking one of them right in the middle of their little pink piggy face.

I wasn't there in person, however I believe Gil Reece scored a special goal against Birmingham in 1971. The following programme noted that he beat several Birmingham players and an ice-cream salesman before slotting home. He also scored a flying header that day, hence being dubbed "The Flying Welshman".

Alan Young's overhead kick was in a 3-2 win v Oxford at the Lane on 19th March 1983.

Steve Wigley's mazy run was in a 3-3 draw with Blackburn on 16th November 1985. We would have won if Budgie hadn't misjudged a shot that bounced over his shoulder as he bent down to collect it.

There was also the goal that Keith Edwards scored against Bristol Rovers when he dummied the keeper, Pele-esque, however the difference being that Keith actually scored!
Keith's will be allways be the best ,never seen it done by anybody since anywhere

Yeah one of my favourites running towards us on the kop, pity there's no footage,and part of that run in to the Cardiff and Watford games to come.
That Tony Field goal looks better everytime I see it,and ofcourse TC's goal v WHU, Browny v pigs and Peschisolido!!!

Back
Top Bottom