Best goals seen at bramall Lane

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I wasn't there in person, however I believe Gil Reece scored a special goal against Birmingham in 1971. The following programme noted that he beat several Birmingham players and an ice-cream salesman before slotting home. He also scored a flying header that day, hence being dubbed "The Flying Welshman".

Alan Young's overhead kick was in a 3-2 win v Oxford at the Lane on 19th March 1983.

Steve Wigley's mazy run was in a 3-3 draw with Blackburn on 16th November 1985. We would have won if Budgie hadn't misjudged a shot that bounced over his shoulder as he bent down to collect it.

I was there for both of those.

There was also the goal that Keith Edwards scored against Bristol Rovers when he dummied the keeper, Pele-esque, however the difference being that Keith actually scored!
I was going to mention the Edwards goal and was surprised no one had mentioned it previously.

Once saw Alan Young score a screamer of an overhead kick from (what I remember) as being way out.... mid 1980s. The other thing I remember about him was that he signed for (what was then) big money.... but spent loads of time out injured. Another goal I recall from that era was a mazy run and goal by Steve Wigley... seemed to start from the half way line and beat every opposition player (well maybe not every one!) before scoring at the Lane end. Can't remember the opposition on either occasion (although I'd have a guess that Young's goal might have been against Oxford....)
It was United 3 Oxford 2 in March 83. One of my favourite goals too.

Y unforgettable goal. For some reason I was just behind him in John St and had a great view.
Couple of things not mentioned from that port vale game. I was one of the lucky ones that was there that day. I recall we were one nil up at the time before Saunders scored that brilliant goal. Seem to recall port vale soon after scored an absolute beauty themselves from long range, so Saunders cheeky goal was in the end the winner. The other thing not mentioned which may interest you get fans is the number 2 celebrating in the video at the end is Chris Wilder in his second spell with United as a player.

Billy Dearden v Brizzle City 75 FA Cup won 2 -0
TC hit an Exocet of a volley from left side of (kop) penalty box that was destined to go out for a throw on opposite side
Everyone, bar Bill, ducking & diving to get out of road to avoid being maimed
BD leans back, stoops twists & puts his forehead behind it - ball accelerates into net
Must have neck muscles of a rhinoceros
Got gubbed in next round @ Villa(?)

Off the top of my head goals i saw.

Deane v Liverpool
Boborkis v Sunderland
Calve v Preston
Peschisolido v Forest
Brown v Pigs
Jags v Middlesbrough
Baldock v Swansea

Then here's 2 I wasn't there for:

Jags v Leeds
Evans v Middlesbrough

With my own eyes and that I have a good memory (which rules a few out I am sure) of:

Brian Deane vs Bruce Grobelaar
Steve Wigley vs Blackburn (sat in that old diabled corner between John St and the Kop with a pot on my leg.)

Oxford utd 82-83 was 3-2 very late goal
Can you remember Young getting a Hatrick? I’m sure he did but my memory is not the best now, it came to my mind when remembering his bicycle kick, obviously not the same game which initially I thought it might have been.

I forgot the Evans v Boro one!

I was actually in the BLUT for that fucker! Directly behind the goal an all!

pommpey

That Della’s one that’s mentioned, it was a great strike and I thought it was from way out, like 35/40 yards but I saw a replay of it a few years ago and was surprised it was not too far outside the box, maybe 25 yards at most, still a great goal. I can remember John Ryan scoring a very similar strike.

Still that Brown on versus pigs for me. The technique and finish in a big game, means it beats all others.

That Della’s one that’s mentioned, it was a great strike and I thought it was from way out, like 35/40 yards but I saw a replay of it a few years ago and was surprised it was not too far outside the box, maybe 25 yards at most, still a great goal. I can remember John Ryan scoring a very similar strike.
From memory
I thought it was a 35 to 40 yard strike too.
He hit the ball on the half volley putting all his hefty weight behind the ball.
Hit with so much power, the shot was like a rocket with the goalie having little chance.

Can you remember Young getting a Hatrick? I’m sure he did but my memory is not the best now, it came to my mind when remembering his bicycle kick, obviously not the same game which initially I thought it might have been.
He got a hattrick v Boston in the FA Cup earlier the same season.

The overhead kick was v Oxford in March on a quagmire of a pitch. We won 3-2 after being 2-1 down. I remember it vividly because it was the first overhead kick I had ever seen!

Loads of great goals over the years, remember the Edwards one and the Wiley one like many have said.

Beagrie also scored a couple or worldies. One against Hull at home if I remember correctly

after Ndiaye stunning solo goal on Saturday. i was thinking putting it on here. what are the best goals we've seen in person. & it always good to reminisce & remember some crackers that we may have forgotten

ill start that goal on Saturday i havent seen a better individual goal of that type since Jamie Murphy took on 5 gillingham player. & scored the winner with what felt like final kick of the game in like the 95th minute

John Matthews hit some beauts.

Keith Edwards v Bristol Rovers

If they put him on Penn and Teller Fool Us they wouldn't be able to figure out how he did it.

One minute he's heading towards the corner flag with the keeper and a defender closing in, nowhere to go...the next minute he's vanished, defender and keeper are looking at each other trying to work out where he's gone, meanwhile he's appeared in front of the empty net with the ball at his feet.

I don't know if the tale has grown in the telling, but in my memory it's the only time I've ever seen a player punch the air before he put the ball in the net.

Magic. Possibly literally magic.
Yep my favourite to correct me if IAM wrong ,I thought he was put through by Morris one on one with the keeper Ray Cashley but then ran around the keeper before walking the ball up to the kop with arms in the air and tapping it in , I've sure I've seen a picture with the keeper on his knees AMAZING

Back
Top Bottom