An embarrassment

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Prince is a bit more savvy than we all think, he saw what was coming today. Bringing in CW to save the season is all part of the plan😉

PH said it would be early October before the team would gel, to be fair it did look as if we were getting better until now.

But we should give him a chance and judge him then, remember we have no money.

Who would want to come in with no funds.
If that’s the case explain the overall value of
Disagree.

Wes - decent
Bakdock - good
Anel - good
Egan - good
Robinson/Trusty - decent
Thomas - good
Hamer - very good
McAtee - very good
Bono - very good
McBurnie - good
Archer - good
at championship level

That was... woeful.

No excuse but it did feel that the first couple of goals were gifted by refereeing decisions.

JLTs yellow card which resulted jn 3rd goal was (in my opinion) someone jumping into him.

Heads went down and we simply don't have any serious quality to introduce off the bench.

No rash decisions needed now, it will show a lot about the team how they collectively respond away to West ham.

I want Slimane to get a chance, when we aren't 5 nil down, I actually thought benie looked a bit stronger than previous games... maybe I was really looking for positives though.

Mcburnie is our game plan, just have to hope he doesn't get injured or banned.
Totally agree. Referee caused our heads to go down early in match, and after that, we had no chance.

Been going since 77 .. worst I’ve seen was 5-0 at home to Arsenal in 78 & Oldham in 87 .. that is beyond embarrassing seen us play league & European champions but fuck me haven’t got the words …players hang their heads in shame
4 down after 18 minutes arsenal took pity on us after that and only scored 1 more lively day on the shoreham though with about 12 arsenal fans right in the middle of our lot suddenly making themselves known just before kick off led by the biggest guy ive ever seen in crombie dalton i think his name was

They have an expression in prize fighting.
"Everyone has a plan until they've been hit".

Well today my friends, we have been hit. Getting up... well that's up to us.

Now is the time to show some bollocks United.

We’ll agree to disagree mate. I know where you’re coming from. And don’t wanna drag it out cos I can’t be arsed to talk about it. I just feel rank.
You’re not alone mate

They have an expression in prize fighting.
"Everyone has a plan until they've been hit".

Well today my friends, we have been hit. Getting up... well that's up to us.

Now is the time to show some bollocks United.
Agreed.

I can't say I was amongst those that were confident of some points today but in my wildest dreams did I never imagine a score line like that. In a way things were looking up and we do seem to have threat going forward but fuck me could we have not done with this today.

They have only one thing to do now as far as I'm concerned, put the scoreline behind, don't dwell and show some teeth. Fuck it, we're bottom, we're likely to go down so we've nothing to lose.

Players not following any plan here
Do we have a plan?

I’ve not seen a pattern in how we’ve played from
one game to the next.

Unless it’s ‘kick the ball to the opposition players and then try (and fail) to defend’.

We really haven’t retained the ball at all and we don’t even just boot it either. We’d be 4 points better off if we just twatted the ball when we needed to.

The whole ethos of the Club stinks in my opinion. From top down to the bottom. Nobody ever grabs it by the scruff of the neck, no one’s ever accountable, a total lack of professionalism brings us to the point of our worst ever defeat. A lack of fitness. and conditioning? Fitness Coach, you’re sacked. 8-0 at home, Defensive Coach should be sacked. What’s the betting they’ll all be here by the end of season? Giving one year extensions to players past their sell by date 3 years ago. The Sheffield United gravy train and retirement plan paid for by incompetent and inept Board and senior management. I bet John Fleck couldn’t believe his luck. Minimum of £10k a week for another year. Not a bad gig after 3 years of being fucking shit. I know this is a rant after the worse day of supporting the club and I will get pelted for it but I don’t give a shit. This feeling festers with me supporting the club and I’ve had enough. And especially when I see Anel today totally and unapologetically down tools and stroll through a game, standing around picking his nose, dreaming of a move to Spurs. I can take being beat, nothing wrong with that, but I will not accept lack of effort. Would Wilder stop the rot, probably not but he sure as shit wouldn’t accept not even fucking trying. Rant over, I do feel better for putting it in print, others won’t agree but hey ho.

Honestly thought we were a bit unlucky in the first half. Missed McBurnie (harsh sending off and suspension last week); then 3 dubious goals - where you might think at least 1 or 2 wouldn’t have gone their way).

Then we’re 3-0 down to a brilliant team.

I have no idea why we then go 4 at the back leaving Ahemdhodzic (on a booking) up against Gordon who’s been smashing us all through the first half. We look like nobody knows where they’re meant to be and it is incredibly easy for excellent players full of confidence to just play through us.

After the 4th we are in big trouble: our game in the premier league is about running ourselves into the ground, trying to be disciplined and organised and keep with the opposition, taking any sniff of a chance we can get. After the subs, we’ve got players all over the pitch who have played just a few games for us (Archer, Traore, Souza, Slimane, Davies, Thomas) is it surprising they’re not showing ‘what we’d expressed from a Sheffield United side’? - they’re 4 goals down with no chance of a result - they’re playing a significantly superior side. The pride, commitment, togetherness and organisation were all non-existent.
I was expecting us to get Basham on, go back to a 5, get ourselves into a discernible shape, get Ahemdhodzic away from Gordon (even if it’s just to stop him getting red-carded), and steady things.

But we didn’t.

Suddenly we were literally all over the place, with seemingly no idea what we were meant to be doing and nowhere near enough commitment to doing it.

And now every Newcastle player is full of confidence and totally relaxed and the centre back can step up towards the penalty area if he fancies it before playing a nice pass, and the goals start flooding in.

And in go 4 more easy goals.

The difference to the discipline, commitment and running from us in the Man City game was huge.

Think it will be a blessing....it's a wake up call.

Before this game the fanbase seem really happy with 99% fully behind Hecky, saying he performed miracles last season.
He was good last season but it's hardly a miracle when you are given one of the best squad of players in the league and was amongst the preseason favourites.

The vast majority of Blades have also said Hecky has been great this season because we played so well with narrow defeats.
I try to be neutral and level headed but all we've done this season is be set up well defensively and we've generally just sat back and defended.
Not sure how that can be classed as great play. Norwich were relegated a few seasons back but at least they were attacking and went for it.
We're just putting everyone in defence trying to keep the score down. Archer has hardly touched the ball so far, which is a terrible sign.
Also I'd say that man for man this season's players are individually better than any of the Wilder teams, but they don't play as a unit.
Couldn’t give a s**t about that lot to be honest.

We are Sheffield’s flag ship club and that today was an embarrassment to the city.

It was beyond humiliating.

Apologies, meant to quote the OP starting his post off talking about the Wendies.

As I say, we are the team everyone now thinks of when they think of Sheffield and that today was humiliating for the city.

I was there at BL (and am still traumatized) from when we lost 0-5 to Oldham in1988.

Dunno how people are going to cope with this one.
Fortunately I was busy and didn’t see the game. Thank fk for small mercies..

At the end of the day though it’s how you rebound that counts…

You can only piss with the cock you’ve got. We’re skint. We’ve got a decent first XI - probably mid bottom half - but we can’t afford strength in depth, so as soon as we lose a player we rely on (McBurnie in this case) we’re going to get fucked. Nothing we can do about it. We haven’t got the coin to compete.

Granted today’s capitulation is annoying and embarrassing, but let’s not forget we nearly got a point against the European champions.
And on another day they wouldn’t have missed a penalty and a hatful of chances -we got off lightly with a 2-1 defeat that could have been 5/6

And on another day they wouldn’t have missed a penalty and a hatful of chances -we got off lightly with a 2-1 defeat that could have been 5/6
If we’re talking about possibilities, if the ref and VAR had been worth anything at all today the first two goals wouldn’t have stood, and possibly the third. Then we go in at half time level and it’s potentially a very different game.

Or do hypotheticals only work when you want to bash the club?

1970 for me - as well as the ones you mentioned Bolton and Norwich also stuck 5 past us. Personal worst was 6 at Ayresome in '88.
Yeh as there also they all giving Beagrie the pelters if if remember right ?
.I think Bolton beat us 1-5 at the The Lane week after Arsenal did in 78 , but yesterday was the worst i’ve seen at The Lane by a mile , total capitulation second half

Pep would be my choice too but we still won't be getting him either. Jesus Potter turned down Lyon and Rangers..that's why he wouldn't touch us.
maybe he didnt want to go to 2 weaker leagues than the premier league blimey france and scotland still would be my choice

Worst I've seen in 60 years gŕrrrrrr
Not wanting to go full Silent Blade * but 27 years ago to the bastard day, 24/09/96 Stockport fuckin County thrashed us 2-5 at The Lane
I'm not one for remembering last week's game, but that night stands out as the worst performance in my almost 70 years of following the Blades. Far worse than yesterday. I remember it because there was a bloke with his wife and two kids sat in front of us who got up and walked out after about twenty minutes cursing and swearing all the way to the back of an almost empty kop.

* Unlike Silent, I had to look it up.

If we’re talking about possibilities, if the ref and VAR had been worth anything at all today the first two goals wouldn’t have stood, and possibly the third. Then we go in at half time level and it’s potentially a very different game.

Or do hypotheticals only work when you want to bash the club?
Who’s bashing the club
we knew it would be tough we’ve not prepared well but
it’s being realistic
we’ve stayed in games but we’ve had our share of luck with keeping the score down

They were ripping us on from the moment Gordon came on we couldn’t pass couldn’t win the ball was out chased and as last week at Spurs it was inevitable we wouldn’t hold out

So yes those first three goals Sunday were questionable in the incident leading up to them

But every goal in the first half we had the opportunity to defend and deal with it and we couldn’t

Back
Top Bottom