Match Thread 12/08/23 - Sheffield United v. Crystal Palace

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

SUFC
SUFC
SUFC

Final

Final
Final
CRY
CRY
CRY
Status
Ratings for this match closed
  • Admin
1691011797830.png vs. 1691011807318.png

Premier League Matchweek 1 - Saturday 12th August 2023 - 15:00 - Bramall Lane
Please keep all discussion related to the match within this thread.

Matchday Stats/Player Ratings - https://s24su.com/forum/match-day/match/sheffield-united-vs-crystal-palace.657/

Officials:

Referee: John Brooks
Assistants: Lee Betts, Akil Howson
Fourth Official: Sam Allison
VAR: Tony Harrington
Assistant VAR: Eddie Smart

Coverage:

Follow via S24SU Twitter: https://twitter.com/s24su
Threads: https://www.threads.net/@s24su
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/s24su/

Need a VPN? - https://www.s24su.com/forum/threads/vpn-usage.87094/

VPNAd.png

📺
Live TV Coverage:

palace.png

Last edited:

Boo fuckin hoo !
Not sure what this means but Hecky is publicly stating that we need several quality signings and he's right and I sympathise with him but not with the club.
We were promoted 4 months ago and to be forced to field such an understrength team in a higher league reflects very badly - what a waste of a close season.
Having heard from the Prince that players who don't renew their contracts will be sold (yet selling Ndiaye & Berge so late) and having known full well that we would lose Doyle & McAtee , we knew that we would likely lose our 4 highest performers and certainly all our creativity & goal threat.
The window closing a month after the season starts is something I'll never understand but we have started our campaign failing to take full advantage of 3 games where points might have been expected - unforgivable.
That said , I suppose the only thing to do is look at what we need from now on :
Bogle is out so we have no cover for Furious.
There is only Bash to cover Anel & Egan.

Bang on. Chuck em straight in after a few weeks, anyone would struggle, but it would give beer belly Kev another chance to fuckin moan and say they're shit.
And yet clubs up and down the country sign players and put them straight in their starting line ups. We sign players and don't see them for weeks/months. There's always poor excuses for everything with United when we don't do what everyone else seem to manage to do.

And yet clubs up and down the country sign players and put them straight in their starting line ups. We sign players and don't see them for weeks/months. There's always poor excuses for everything with United when we don't do what everyone else seem to manage to do.
Some do, but some don't. Also we have bought players from lower level leagues abroad, some who have only been in the UK just over 1 week, who need time to bed in. I have no issue with the approach we have taken at all.

Not sure what this means but Hecky is publicly stating that we need several quality signings and he's right and I sympathise with him but not with the club.
We were promoted 4 months ago and to be forced to field such an understrength team in a higher league reflects very badly - what a waste of a close season.
Having heard from the Prince that players who don't renew their contracts will be sold (yet selling Ndiaye & Berge so late) and having known full well that we would lose Doyle & McAtee , we knew that we would likely lose our 4 highest performers and certainly all our creativity & goal threat.
The window closing a month after the season starts is something I'll never understand but we have started our campaign failing to take full advantage of 3 games where points might have been expected - unforgivable.
That said , I suppose the only thing to do is look at what we need from now on :
Bogle is out so we have no cover for Furious.
There is only Bash to cover Anel & Egan.
Sorry , pushed button accidentally...
Cba typing it all again as edit time ran out.
Summary we need 6 or 7 starters.
Larouci , Slimane , Souza , Hamer could be 4 of them but we immediately need a Lfooted MF & 2 strikers - that's 3 top quality.
For cover we need a RWB & CB for which we might already have youngsters.
We have 2 PL loans so ought to have enough for one decent transfer fee.

Just what are some on here expecting ?
Even LEEDS who have spent quite a bit lately are back in the Championship after a couple of seasons .
We were in trouble last season for none payment and HRH was willing to sell the club for a low offer.
So tell me without selling our prize players where 'was money coming from for new ones ?

I think today was an education about how far we have to improve to be able to play year in year out in the PL. Palace were organised and composed on the ball. We tried hard but rarely strung 3 passes together. Usually the 3rd one was intercepted or given away. Defensively we worked hard but it was last ditch attempts at tackling and pin ball on a few occasions.

On a positive note Traore looks like a decent player and he is a trier. Osula will improve given time. Hamer should help improve things. The jury is out on the other signings yet.

I thought the back 5 were not at the level needed. Anel struggled at times. Baldock is limited going forward and Lowe is limited going backwards. There is no quick fix for this. Palace players looked comfortable on the ball and always seemed to know where the next pass was going. We really will be battling to stay up and need to turnover a few of the other stragglers to have a chance.

From my point of view, Lowe went to get the ball and Hodgson got mad it about and started pushing him. Then it all got a little school playground, as it does.
despite being at the match. i dont remember that & had no idea that was an issue until it blew on social media. couldnt even tell you if it was 1st or 2nd half

Not been on forum since match started. But Jesus we were poor. Why was Bash pussying out of midfield tackles constantly, as one example?! Shape, everything, pretty terrible.

We kept fighting though in a weirdly low quality way.

LUCKILY we won't be fielding that 11 all season (or hopefully ever again). Bash and Ozzy centre mid with Norwood... Yikes.

COYB.

Taken time to reflect yesterday, Weswas clearly our motm, which neveris a good sign. I think we made it uncomfortable for them but they clearly were the better team. Our issue was creativity. Osula and Traore worked hard and did their best with the scraps they had, but we didn't get our wingbacks forward enough (particularly down the left) and there was no attacking midfield options.

That being said, I think Hecky did the best he could with the squad available.

I'm buzzing about Hamer and I'm sure souza (when he's got some match fitness) will be a great addition but still plenty of work to do in recruitment.

Also there were a blow of wind at one point that literally blew my hat off, unlike much of that game.

Still that gave me some hope for the season assuming we sign a couple of players soonish.
I'm all up for superstitions pal but I've never heard of your hat blowing off being a sign of hope. I'll take it though.

see a poster earlier saying 33% possesion in the premier league is no good well ive got news for him those will be the stats most weeks in the premier league even if we get 3 new midfielders in its where we are im afraid yesterday was as good a result as we could have expected really with our starting line up a draw would have been a fantastic result under the circumstances if hecky manages to get us 17th spot this season it will be his best achievment in his football career

We're back to the infuriating ref performances. He didn't have a clue how to implement the new rules.

Osula booked for time wasting by kicking the ball a few yards in the 15th minute. Yet their keeper could hold on to the ball as long as he wanted.

Players have been specifically told not to kick the ball away after a free kick has been given and to leave it, or they'll get booked. I'm not sure why this would come as a surprise?

Sure, their keeper was holding the ball for a while. Wes was doing the same. Just needs McCall to stand next to the fourth official and say "one, two, three, four, five, free kick please"

Players have been specifically told not to kick the ball away after a free kick has been given and to leave it, or they'll get booked. I'm not sure why this would come as a surprise?

Sure, their keeper was holding the ball for a while. Wes was doing the same. Just needs McCall to stand next to the fourth official and say "one, two, three, four, five, free kick please"

OK but what about the CP coach smacking the ball from Lowe's hands? Surely that's the same thing?

According to spotrack Crystal Palace are paying eleven players more than £50k/week.
(I've no idea how accurate this is!)

How the heck can anyone newly promoted compete for the sort of quality players you need to survive?

If we get anywhere near 17th at season end it will be an absolute miracle.

see a poster earlier saying 33% possesion in the premier league is no good well ive got news for him those will be the stats most weeks in the premier league even if we get 3 new midfielders in its where we are im afraid yesterday was as good a result as we could have expected really with our starting line up a draw would have been a fantastic result under the circumstances if hecky manages to get us 17th spot this season it will be his best achievment in his football career
Sure Leicester won the title with an average less than 50% possession. This stat may not be all that important.

"Immediately improve your day by watching this clip of 76 year old Roy Hodgson fully backing himself against a man 50 years his junior."
Yeah and his 2 mates one of whom looks like a Sasquatch.

Sure Leicester won the title with an average less than 50% possession. This stat may not be all that important.

33% is a fair bit from 50% though. Letting the opponents have the ball twice as much is a sure way of inviting trouble.

According to spotrack Crystal Palace are paying eleven players more than £50k/week.
(I've no idea how accurate this is!)

So a mere £ 30 million per year in wages. (for 11 players)

No wonder some prefer to ignore wages and only see transfer fees as important markers of 'ambition'.

Back
Top Bottom