Match Thread 12/08/23 - Sheffield United v. Crystal Palace

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

SUFC
SUFC
SUFC

Final

Final
Final
CRY
CRY
CRY
Status
Ratings for this match closed
  • Admin
1691011797830.png vs. 1691011807318.png

Premier League Matchweek 1 - Saturday 12th August 2023 - 15:00 - Bramall Lane
Please keep all discussion related to the match within this thread.

Matchday Stats/Player Ratings - https://s24su.com/forum/match-day/match/sheffield-united-vs-crystal-palace.657/

Officials:

Referee: John Brooks
Assistants: Lee Betts, Akil Howson
Fourth Official: Sam Allison
VAR: Tony Harrington
Assistant VAR: Eddie Smart

Coverage:

Follow via S24SU Twitter: https://twitter.com/s24su
Threads: https://www.threads.net/@s24su
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/s24su/

Need a VPN? - https://www.s24su.com/forum/threads/vpn-usage.87094/

VPNAd.png

📺
Live TV Coverage:

palace.png

Last edited:

I think it was somewhat of a battling performance really, but with very little to offer going forwards... Which to be honest, I somewhat expected without Ndiaye and McBurnie.

Defensively, I feel for the most we managed palace's pace relatively well. The worrying thing about the style in which we play, is that we find ourselves susceptible to the counter against top flight teams. We didn't look overly panicked and for the most we dealt with all that they threw at us.

That midfield.... Well, it didn't work did it??

I understand the reasons behind Hecky's decision to go experience etc, but it wasn't a midfield that would ever dominate and win a game.... nor would it pose any sort of additional attacking threat. Ozzy for the all the flack that he gets, actually worked his socks off and ran himself ragged. He attempted to back up our wide theeat, but at the same time was extremely cautious in getting back in numbers. Bash likewise is happy to drop back and mop up pressure but it all leads to us becoming so deep, with little outlet going forwards.. Norwood was completely ineffective in terms of getting us forward...... It just didn't work and I was perdonally calling for those midfield changes much earlier than they happened.

The front two were extremely isolated and I feel that we needed a battering ram up there to assist them. Benie was a slow burner in the first half, but then again there was no quality going forward from midfield...and no support in behind him. Osula on the other hand....he worked hard, battled hard and gave everything that he has, however once more the above applies.....

We did see glimpses of improvement from the front two second half, most of this was due to direct running and realising that we would have to grab the bull by it's horns....

Strikers required being the biggest thing that I take out of that result...Midfield I think we have the assets, possibly one more if a possibility.

Also Larouci.... I thought he showed great desire and was much improved in his cameo today.

Reminded me of the Sheff Wed versus Southampton game.
It was really embarrassing how bad we were as an attacking force, Palace were a clear class above.

However it was no surprise, we played a really weak team that would struggle to finish mid table in the Championship.
However lets no forget, next month we'll have a whole new midfield and attack.
So not worried yet, however we'll be a few points behind when eventually get our act together and put out our normal side.

We're back to the infuriating ref performances. He didn't have a clue how to implement the new rules.

Osula booked for time wasting by kicking the ball a few yards in the 15th minute. Yet their keeper could hold on to the ball as long as he wanted.

We get pushed over constantly and get nothing. There was a clear push on Bash when he went for a header, ref was next to them. Nothing. Traore pushed over. Nothing. But when a Palace player goes near one of ours and goes down its a free kick. Traore definitely had a look of "wtf is this shit" when he got penalised 3 times for nothing.

Overall though it could have been worse, but we've gotta be proud of the lads on the pitch and the management team today for the effort. A bit more quality in the starting 11 and we'll be alright.

I stayed up late to see the result, as I couldn't find a link that worked to watch the game.
Pretty sad to see the result, but I saw comments saying could have been worse, so two things I can take from this, is 1) if gonna lose, 1-0 is not too bad for GD as this could be important later, and 2) this picture which made me smile. BBTBL looks beautiful and I miss it.

(quite surprised to see the away end full, Palace aren't usually well supported away, I seem to think)

What was the attendance?

Thought the ref gave typical premier calls
If a player falls down & clutches the ball he gets a free kick
When was the last time you saw a booking for simulation
Eze should have had 2

Osborne MOM for blades
Wow that says it all,I couldn't pick a player for man of match

When Basham can get a starting role in midfield ahead of any one else who was available and then saw who was lining up aside of him you knew it was just going to be damage limitation on our part

Souza has a bit of cuntstram about him,,,,,,,,,,,,,he likes pointing.

Atleast we are'nt bottom of the table.

The players ran around and tried but Palace were a class apart and they are likely to finish no higher than mid table. Any team that starts with a midfield of Bash Osborn and Norwood is not going to pick up any points in the EPL. Add in a left hand side of Osborn Robinson and Lowe and we have one hand tied behind our back before we kick a ball.

Lowe had a shocker time and time again he was turned and was playing at statues leaving his runner to cross for the goal. Osborn may get pelters for not cutting the cross out but his was trying to cover for Lowe losing his man again. The midfield was non existent as they passed through us like a red hot knife through butter. Anel was a huge disappointment today getting run ragged. Only 2 players looked capable of cutting it in the EPL on todays performance. Baldock and it looks like he's now injured and the goalkeeper who kept the score down.

We were slow in possession, couldn't cope with their pressing and pace and failed on the basics. Norwoods set pieces were woeful as usual and we didn't win a ball in the air all match.

Traore and Osula battled away for little return but overall we were sadly lacking in all departments. Great turn out and backing from the supporters today. We'll need it moving forward as the manager has a lot to do to get us up to a level where we can be competitive in this league.

despite defeat im more positive post match than i was pre match. on Monday after stuttgart & berge. i wouldve taken 1-0. if thats us at our weakest. then its only a good thing

on the game i was very pleased with start considering our issues, that front 5 was terrifying & not in a good way, we more than matching palace 1st half. thought that another half like that & ill be delighted with the performance & the point for 0-0 but not to be

Need 5 changes for forest got to get a fit striker in the team replace Osborne Lowe. With souza fit and hamer in be 50 per cent better . We miss McBurnie not letting defenders play out so easy.
No shortage of effort but a dearth of quality

That Lowe and Hodgson moment was a little weird weren't it?

Also there were a blow of wind at one point that literally blew my hat off, unlike much of that game.

Still that gave me some hope for the season assuming we sign a couple of players soonish.

Sorry about the hat. I just couldn't keep it in any longer. ☺

I think it was somewhat of a battling performance really, but with very little to offer going forwards... Which to be honest, I somewhat expected without Ndiaye and McBurnie.

Defensively, I feel for the most we managed palace's pace relatively well. The worrying thing about the style in which we play, is that we find ourselves susceptible to the counter against top flight teams. We didn't look overly panicked and for the most we dealt with all that they threw at us.

That midfield.... Well, it didn't work did it??

I understand the reasons behind Hecky's decision to go experience etc, but it wasn't a midfield that would ever dominate and win a game.... nor would it pose any sort of additional attacking threat. Ozzy for the all the flack that he gets, actually worked his socks off and ran himself ragged. He attempted to back up our wide theeat, but at the same time was extremely cautious in getting back in numbers. Bash likewise is happy to drop back and mop up pressure but it all leads to us becoming so deep, with little outlet going forwards.. Norwood was completely ineffective in terms of getting us forward...... It just didn't work and I was perdonally calling for those midfield changes much earlier than they happened.

The front two were extremely isolated and I feel that we needed a battering ram up there to assist them. Benie was a slow burner in the first half, but then again there was no quality going forward from midfield...and no support in behind him. Osula on the other hand....he worked hard, battled hard and gave everything that he has, however once more the above applies.....

We did see glimpses of improvement from the front two second half, most of this was due to direct running and realising that we would have to grab the bull by it's horns....

Strikers required being the biggest thing that I take out of that result...Midfield I think we have the assets, possibly one more if a possibility.

Also Larouci.... I thought he showed great desire and was much improved in his cameo today.
Agree

Why isn't he starting any of the new signings?

Hi Porkosauras, remember Doyle and McAtee last season.

It's the managers job to know when players are ready, not fans of other clubs on social media.

Speaking of managers, have you any top choices to replace Cisco ball.

The new players can only get match fit by playing. Surely 60 mins and being subbed off is better than 30 minutes coming off the bench?

Moving house.
Moving jobs.
Moving to a different country.

3 of the most stressful events in life.

Chuck um all straight in and let the fans get on their backs before they know what day it is.

We don’t have many PL quality players.

Egan and Baldock are. That’s it.

Of the others, Wes had an excellent game. The rest, meh. I was particularly disappointed by Anel.

They were bigger, stronger, more skilful and fitter.

I was baffled by the team selection.
Egan ? Egan looked less than PL quality today - terrible use of the ball , seemed to panic

Moving house.
Moving jobs.
Moving to a different country.

3 of the most stressful events in life.

Chuck um all straight in and let the fans get on their backs before they know what day it is.
Bang on. Chuck em straight in after a few weeks, anyone would struggle, but it would give beer belly Kev another chance to fuckin moan and say they're shit.

Back
Top Bottom