Match Thread 12/08/23 - Sheffield United v. Crystal Palace

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

SUFC
SUFC
SUFC

Final

Final
Final
CRY
CRY
CRY
Status
Ratings for this match closed
  • Admin
1691011797830.png vs. 1691011807318.png

Premier League Matchweek 1 - Saturday 12th August 2023 - 15:00 - Bramall Lane
Please keep all discussion related to the match within this thread.

Matchday Stats/Player Ratings - https://s24su.com/forum/match-day/match/sheffield-united-vs-crystal-palace.657/

Officials:

Referee: John Brooks
Assistants: Lee Betts, Akil Howson
Fourth Official: Sam Allison
VAR: Tony Harrington
Assistant VAR: Eddie Smart

Coverage:

Follow via S24SU Twitter: https://twitter.com/s24su
Threads: https://www.threads.net/@s24su
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/s24su/

Need a VPN? - https://www.s24su.com/forum/threads/vpn-usage.87094/

VPNAd.png

📺
Live TV Coverage:

palace.png

Last edited:

When I saw the starting lineup I felt like crying

What with injuries and pissing about on the recruitment front, it is what it is mate until a few more bodies come in, and some who are already here get up to speed.

I think that Hamer, Souza and a fit experienced striker in the first 11 will make us instantly better.

It'll be reyt.

Ah well, we are above Burnley for the first time in ages 🤣

Ref totally bent.
Osula was my man of the match.
Osborne was very obviously the weak link.
Bash was superb. Number of blocks and even tried a 720 twist moments before coming off, which didn't quite work, but it didn't do any harm.
Traore thinks he is faster than he actually is. Looked like a headless chicken to me for most of the match.
Bash's 720 turn was fantastic! Dancing on Ice awaits...?

Thought Palace looked strong and but for fine margins, they could've had a few more goals. We probably rode our luck a bit in the second half after they scored. But defensively fairly solid.

Going forward, we got into good positions, created, but we're not clinical enough or perhaps smart enough up top to really trouble them. There isn't a big enough threat of goals and whilst it's not an easy or cheap position to fill, we have to bring in a Striker

Thought we could've made some changes earlier, but good to see some minutes for the new lads and the youngsters.

We have number 8 and number 10 in the squad numbers list that need filling, pretty quickly.

On today's showing, long season ahead but with the new signings getting up to speed and Hamer to come in as well as some coming back from injury, its not beyond hope.

But, on paper this was a game which we should be hoping to get more out of.

Meh, not bad I suppose all things considered. I imagine 6 of those that started are not intended to be starters in the long run so I wasn't expecting much from today.

What with injuries and pissing about on the recruitment front, it is what it is mate until a few more bodies come in, and some who are already here get up to speed.

I think that Hamer, Souza and a fit experienced striker in the first 11 will make us instantly better.

It'll be reyt.
👍

Their pace destroyed us. I'll wait and see how new lads settle in before I shit the cot.

not going to dig out a single player for that. they all went out there and did their best. Osula, Wes and Baldock fantastic, Traore grew into the game second half. the level of effort shown out there made me proud. its not their fault a lot of them aren't premier league quality. for us to have a top flight match day squad significantly weaker than the one we had in the championship is a disgrace, but I'm confident that when players are back from injury, we get Hamer in there, hopefully Doyle and Archer too, we can give it a really good go. we weren't embarrassed today, on to Forest.

Ah well, we are above Burnley for the first time in ages 🤣

Ref totally bent.
Osula was my man of the match.
Osborne was very obviously the weak link.
Bash was superb. Number of blocks and even tried a 720 twist moments before coming off, which didn't quite work, but it didn't do any harm.
Traore thinks he is faster than he actually is. Looked like a headless chicken to me for most of the match.
I thought Traore did well all game,Osula as well,neither of them got any support.
Midfield is the big pr6blem,hopefully that is being addressed soon .

Wasn’t as bad as expected after seeing the line up. Next few players who hopefully will be starters will really help but all in all not bad

I thought Traore did well all game,Osula as well,neither of them got any support.
Midfield is the big pr6blem,hopefully that is being addressed soon .
I also thought Traore looks decent plus bags of pace. Once the likes of Hamer etc settle there should be options to slide a splitting pass through the last defender for him to latch onto. He's got the credentials hence why we bought him. Game 1 over and no surprise.

Wasn’t as bad as expected after seeing the line up. Next few players who hopefully will be starters will really help but all in all not bad

Its true consider the team then we didnt do too bad. Osula's chances go in and we could have won. There goal was because we fell asleep. It will be telling next few games when the new players start to be incorporated better but I`m optimistic.

None of our midfield was remotely attacking. We'll look different when that changes, I reckon. Souza coming in, Hamer and maybe Doyle and that midfield is a different kettle of fish. For example, they'll be able to support the attack as well as look solid defensively

I don’t think any of the 11 out there played particularly badly today, but as an attacking unit we are currently nowhere near a Premier League side. The hoof down the channel was easily snuffed out. Palace also cut through us too easily and could have had more.

Fingers crossed the new additions keep coming and get up to speed quickly.

Palace looked decent. I don't think we were that terrible, but we had zero link between Traore/Osula, who both worked hard, and the rest - Hamer will be part of the solution to that and it always stood out as a likely issue given the makeshift nature of that midfield

Thought the ref gave typical premier calls
If a player falls down & clutches the ball he gets a free kick
When was the last time you saw a booking for simulation
Eze should have had 2

Osborne MOM for blades

Midfield was not competitive in terms of achieving both attack and defence.

Game running from Ozzy and Bash but zero creativity.

It’s a shame we couldn’t play City, Liverpool and co first up.

Get the bearings out of the way.

Then when you play teams like Palace you hopefully have more direction in the team like Hamer who does a bit of everything and perhaps others.

Defence was ok but today served as a reminder that if you switch off you pay. Two players ran with Ayew and neither attempted to stop the cross. Likewise a player either side of the scorer though it was Anel who wasn’t tight enough.

I thought Traore grew into the game and showed he could be a useful tool, especially when we counter attack.

Osula did himself proud. Just not sure he has the maturity yet as shown today and pre-season to take the opportunities when they come. Unlucky with the curler and with the first time hit. He’s well ahead of expectations however two chances, two misses and we will have to make them count in such games.

32% possession to their 68. We HAVE to be much better in possession or we are going to get bullied every week. Need to attempt to control the game way more than we did today. Palace will be comfortably bottom half and they looked a league above today.

I sound like a broken record but our composure on the ball is poor even by championship standards. Need players to be brave and not panic and launch aimless balls. That waste possession.

Positives:
Baldock - love that he was telling off Anel for launching it into the stands instead of a 3 yard pass to him when in space. Tenacious as always.
Ousala - showed real quality in his hold up play, touches and some decent efforts.
Norwood - composed, calm and tried to always play to feet.
Brooks- more composure than most our first 11. He looks decent. Made 1 mistake butbhe’s young so can forgive.

Negatives:
Anel: at fault for the goal (lost his man), panicked clearances and wasted possession a few times
Egan: same as above, really wasteful when he has the ball, it either gets launched into the stands or floated forward. Almost gave away a goal if it wasn't for robbo tidying up for him.

Overal: we were like a pack of dogs chasing the ball today. Lots of energy burnt playing retreiver running after the ball but lacked any finesse and composure when we had it apart from the 3 boys mentioned above. We use a ton of energy to get the ball off them just to give it back to them in 3/4 passes. We are going to kill ourselves playing like that each week. Considering our starting 11 then 1-0 isnt too bad but to win games then we need to be much much better. We need to accept that getting stuck in and running about isn’t enough. Trying to pluck the ball out the air is x10 harder than controlling a ball to feet so god knows why we send so many balls up into the air for 5ft 6 traore to try and control.

We need at least 3 players to drop into our starting 11 IMO. Worryingly not sure Slimane/traore will be good enough based on what i’ve seen so far. Slimane had a few good periods earlier in pre-season but stuttgart and palace hes not been convincing. Today he didnt have that long though and generally its too early to make a full judgement on either so will cut them some slack until a few more games.

We don’t have many PL quality players.

Egan and Baldock are. That’s it.

Of the others, Wes had an excellent game. The rest, meh. I was particularly disappointed by Anel.

They were bigger, stronger, more skilful and fitter.

I was baffled by the team selection.

Back
Top Bottom