Down memory Lane.....this day

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

30 years ago today, Jesus where did it all go :(, 17th August 1985.

Stoke City with what can only be described as a god damn awful attempt at a programme.

Another horrible square shaped effort. Mick Mills and Sammy Chung grace, if that's the right word, the cover.

United win 3-1 with goals from Cockerill and two from Morris.

5576579610_cffe078213_z.jpg

August 21st 1971 - Everton 0 Blades 1 (Woodward). One of the three games I missed going to that season as I was on a family holiday in Ayr. I was gobsmacked when I found out the result. We beat Southampton 3-1 a week earlier then we beat L**ds (1969 League champions) 3-0 in midweek and then beating the 1970 League Champions at Goodison Park. Any of you remember going to the match?

79025467-sport-football-goodison-park-england-21st-gettyimages.jpg

August 21st 1971 - Everton 0 Blades 1 (Woodward). One of the three games I missed going to that season as I was on a family holiday in Ayr. I was gobsmacked when I found out the result. We beat Southampton 3-1 a week earlier then we beat L**ds (1969 League champions) 3-0 in midweek and then beating the 1970 League Champions at Goodison Park. Any of you remember going to the match?

79025467-sport-football-goodison-park-england-21st-gettyimages.jpg

L to r Alan Ball, Hockey, Joe Royle, Scullion (11 behind Royle), TC, Hemsley.

Don't know the Everton player on the far left :)

Everton's team almost picked itself. From memory...

West, Newton, Labone, Hurst, Wright, Ball, Harvey, Kendall, Husband, Royle, Morrissey.

(433)

Brian Labone?

The one directly behind Alan Ball - you can see him through Ball's legs... is John Morrisey... I recognise the left foot.

honest.

Everton's team almost picked itself. From memory...

West, Newton, Labone, Hurst, Wright, Ball, Harvey, Kendall, Husband, Royle, Morrissey.

(433)
It was West, Newton, Labone, Hurst, Scott, Darracott, Ball, Kendall, Royle, Husband, Morrissey

August 21st 1971 - Everton 0 Blades 1 (Woodward).

GOAL - v Everton (a) 21.8.71. With nine minutes left Woodward smashed United into the lead with a ferocious shot from eight yards that found the net via the bar and post. The opening was created by Hockey's persistence followed by an intelligent pass and Everton thinking quite wrongly that Woodward was offside.

Went to that game and thoroughly enjoyed the finish. To be fair Everton were well on top all game till then and the goal was a real breakaway. Woody had to run about 20 yards with the ball but once clear it was a foregone conclusion. I had to be very careful though with my celebrations as I seemed to be the only Blade on our end.

22 August 1970 Blades 2 (Woodward, Colquhoun) Swindon 1 (Noble). The only home game I missed in my first full season as I was on a family holiday at Great Yarmouth. Below is Eddie's late winner heading in a cross by Woody. Swindon's number 10 is Peter Noble (who later played for Burnley). Frank Burrows (who later managed Portsmouth, Cardiff and Swansea) is the other Swindon player watching helplessly. The ref is Jack Taylor who refereed the 1974 World Cup final
11938246_10154181655539418_1625927221_n.jpg

24th August 1971 Arsenal 0 Blades 1 (Scullion). Four wins out of the first four matches of the season! I was again gobsmacked when I found out the result when on a family holiday in Ayr. After beating Southampton we beat the 1969 league champions, 1970 leage champions and the 1971 double winners in a row! Any of you remember going to the game?

22 August 1970 Blades 2 (Woodward, Colquhoun) Swindon 1 (Noble). The only home game I missed in my first full season as I was on a family holiday at Great Yarmouth. Below is Eddie's late winner heading in a cross by Woody. Swindon's number 10 is Peter Noble (who later played for Burnley). Frank Burrows (who later managed Portsmouth, Cardiff and Swansea) is the other Swindon player watching helplessly. The ref is Jack Taylor who refereed the 1974 World Cup final
11938246_10154181655539418_1625927221_n.jpg
5506118516_296e880859_z.jpg 14396222278_7723eb5e6e_z.jpg

24th August 1971 Arsenal 0 Blades 1 (Scullion). Four wins out of the first four matches of the season! I was again gobsmacked when I found out the result when on a family holiday in Ayr. After beating Southampton we beat the 1969 league champions, 1970 leage champions and the 1971 double winners in a row! Any of you remember going to the game?
5519299705_8cdf5aa6eb_z.jpg 14622964973_18f795ea8a_z.jpg

To fill in the recent gaps: August 23rd 29 years ago 1986. 1-1 with Shrewsbury in front of a crowd of less than 10,000
5495865336_829c29cba5_z.jpg15800697879_67ec003498_z.jpg

August 26th: 43 years ago 1972. 2-0 win at the Hawthorns. Woodward and Cammack on the scoresheet.

Recall the old man going into a pub in West Bromwich and discovering the songs on the juke box weren't english.

View attachment 13062 View attachment 13063
Two great goals. Still can picture them very well as if it were last week

GOAL - v WBA (a) 26.8.72. In all this period Blades attackers had been very quiet but they scored with their first real shot at goal in the 21st minute, Woodward hitting a blistering shot from 25 yards into the top corner past Latchford's right hand. It came from a free kick tapped into Woodward's path after Robertson had handled a pass from Currie.
ASSIST - v WBA (a) 26.8.72. Cammack scored his first League goal for the Blades. Woodward's centre from the right was deliciously judged and Cammack's diving header was delightful. From ten yards he gave Latchford no chance.

Darren , remember me telling you about Glen Keeley's own goal in that match? My dad said in his match report letter to me that it was an own goal. Complete Records say it was Tony Field

You told me it was an OG. I said it was Field!

Two great goals. Still can picture them very well as if it were last week

GOAL - v WBA (a) 26.8.72. In all this period Blades attackers had been very quiet but they scored with their first real shot at goal in the 21st minute, Woodward hitting a blistering shot from 25 yards into the top corner past Latchford's right hand. It came from a free kick tapped into Woodward's path after Robertson had handled a pass from Currie.
ASSIST - v WBA (a) 26.8.72. Cammack scored his first League goal for the Blades. Woodward's centre from the right was deliciously judged and Cammack's diving header was delightful. From ten yards he gave Latchford no chance.

You have omitted the most significant event of the WBA game....... Bert caught the ball in the crowd. Amazingly there was no mention of it in the Green 'Un.

Yes I wondered why Dennis Clareborough had Field as the scorer when the papers and the 1974/75 programme had "OG" as the scorer

I believe Rothmans had Field as the scorer. Don't know what the papers said. All the records credit Field with 11 league goals in 74-5, including that Newcastle one.

I believe Rothmans had Field as the scorer. Don't know what the papers said. All the records credit Field with 11 league goals in 74-5, including that Newcastle one.
Not all, the 1974-75 programmes credited Field with 10 league goals. Do you have 1974-75 programmes? I have a few

Not all, the 1974-75 programmes credited Field with 10 league goals. Do you have 1974-75 programmes? I have a few

Got all the home ones. I think future stats were all taken from Rothmans which gave him 11.

Back
Top Bottom