Down memory Lane.....this day

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Today 5 years ago August 8th 2010.

Opening day of the season. Away.

Sunday Lunchtime. On Sky, Blackie's red and white army taking on Cardiff. His Last league game in charge.

Not surprising as he puts Simmo, Ertl and Taylor in the same back four :confused:

Team: Simonsen, Ertl, Taylor, Lowton, Morgs, Monty, Quinn, Britton, Ward, Cresswell, Evans.

United lead halfway thro the 1st half via Ched, but Lowton is dismissed before half time. Bothroyd equalises and we draw 1-1.

View attachment 12783 View attachment 12784

That defence!! :eek:

Not his last league game though, losing to Warnock a week later would do owd Blackie.

Today, 46 years ago today: 1969

View attachment 12810

A 3-0 win on Opening weekend in 1969.
View attachment 12811
ASSIST - v Middlesbrough (h) 9.8.69. After a fine run and cross by Woodward, Reece hit a brilliant volley while in mid-air to leave Short hopelessly beaten.
GOAL - v Middlesbrough (h) 9.8.69. Mick Heaton began the hard work down the left flank with an intelligent interception and follow up and when Woodward got control just inside the penalty box he sent the three white-shirted defenders the wrong way before beating Short with a beautiful low drive to the far corner.
GOAL - v Middlesbrough (h) 9.8.69. Though Reece and Currie were thwarted in scoring efforts the ball rolled out to Woodward, near the six yard box, and he hammered the ball home

August 10th. 16 years ago 1999. Worthington Cup 1st Rd a 3-0 win over Shrewsbury

5656971585_8727ac0f3a_z.jpg

Katchouro and 2 goals from super sub Martin Smith

50 years ago August 11th 1965. Still pre-season in them days.

A 1-1 draw at the Baseball Ground, with Gil Reece netting for the Blades. 4 page programme.

5456109484_c4ba4eaff2_o.jpg

Today August 12th 1972, 43 years ago 1972

Over 37,000 for United's visit to St Andrews. Keith Eddy makes his league debut as Hockey and Woodward score in a 2-1 win.

Awful square size programme that were impossible to keep flat, well the old man failed to do so with this copy.

5507350987_ee745f7fd6_z.jpg

Today 5 years ago August 8th 2010.

Opening day of the season. Away.

Sunday Lunchtime. On Sky, Blackie's red and white army taking on Cardiff. His Last league game in charge.

Not surprising as he puts Simmo, Ertl and Taylor in the same back four :confused:

Team: Simonsen, Ertl, Taylor, Lowton, Morgs, Monty, Quinn, Britton, Ward, Cresswell, Evans.

United lead halfway thro the 1st half via Ched, but Lowton is dismissed before half time. Bothroyd equalises and we draw 1-1.

View attachment 12783 View attachment 12784

Evans scored from a great pass from Leon Britton, who then retreated into the midfield hole previously occupied by the likes of Hoyland, Ford and Howard for the rest of his Blades career.

Over 37,000 for United's visit to St Andrews. Keith Eddy makes his league debut as Hockey and Woodward score in a 2-1 win.

Awful square size programme that were impossible to keep flat, well the old man failed to do so with this copy.

View attachment 12851

Bert kept his copy flat. The return journey home on the SUT bus was quite draughty due to the lack of windows.

View attachment 12851
Got in touch with ITV about the possibility of getting footage of the above match that was shown on Midlands TV on 13th August 1972. It seems they dont have it and if they do then it will cost a lot!

View attachment 12851

Saw the below photo for the first time last year. Studying the photo I realised that it was taken at the above match as you can see a glum Gordon Taylor of Birmingham on the bottom left. Brum fans had been booing Hockey every time he touched the ball until he stunned the fans with a stunning equaliser from outside the box leaving Brum keeper, Paul Cooper, helplessly rooted to his spot. Not sure if the photo was taken just after the equaliser or late in the match but it is obvious that he is taunting the Brum fans

1yn2u0.jpg

Saw the below photo for the first time last year. Studying the photo I realised that it was taken at the above match as you can see a glum Gordon Taylor of Birmingham on the bottom left. Brum fans had been booing Hockey every time he touched the ball until he stunned the fans with a stunning equaliser from outside the box leaving Brum keeper, Paul Cooper, helplessly rooted to his spot. Not sure if the photo was taken just after the equaliser or late in the match but it is obvious that he is taunting the Brum fans

1yn2u0.jpg

They were chanting something derogatory about him, Bert can't remember what, so he was "conducting" them. Bert remembers the incident well.

A couple of interesting programmes today

Today: 39 years ago, August 7th 1976

An Anglo Scottish Cup encounter with Newcastle. Single sheet. Quite sought after worth a few quid. United lost 1-0.View attachment 12774

August 7th, 42 years ago today1973 . The end of an era at the Lane. Did anybody go??????
View attachment 12775

Bert was there also. It was all a but dull and an anti climax.

21 years ago today, August 13th 1994.

Opening day of the season, Back in Division 2, or as it was known Endsleigh Division 1

Flo, and Mitch Ward twice were on the scoresheet as United win 3-0

I used to have an Umbro top like that :)
5706021739_3ae42345d9_z.jpg

44 years ago, August 14th 1971, seems like yesterday that dad came skipping up our side passageway on Sharrow Lane :) after this game.

The 1st programme I can remember him giving me, took another 30 years to get the rest of them :mad:

Look like a reight set of hooligans.

United won 3-1. I'm sure some of you will remember it well.

5518918795_816a4a3d6b_b.jpg

44 years ago, August 14th 1971, seems like yesterday that dad came skipping up our side passageway on Sharrow Lane :) after this game.

The 1st programme I can remember him giving me, took another 30 years to get the rest of them :mad:

View attachment 12883
Looks like the players in the picture are about to board the coach outside the John Street players entrance ready for the Holland/Belgium pre-season tour. I can see Mick Speight in the middle

View attachment 12883

When the final whistle went I don't think I'd have believed any one who had warned me that 16060 days later I'd be worrying about Collins and McEverley at the back. :(

View attachment 12883

What a bunch of heroes.

When the final whistle went I don't think I'd have believed any one who had warned me that 16060 days later I'd be worrying about Collins and McEverley at the back. :(

That was eleven days ago.

You've forgotten to include the extra leap year days.

Mind you, you were probably worrying about Collins and McEveley eleven days ago...

That was eleven days ago.

You've forgotten to include the extra leap year days.

Mind you, you were probably worrying about Collins and McEveley eleven days ago...

Still worrying, what if one gets injured?

Kennedy is some way away, need another one in.

August 16th, 29 years ago, a pre-season friendly at York. 1-1 draw with Tony Philliskirk scoring.

5495274947_d1539b7230_z.jpg 15364451844_bd152a7c18_z.jpg

The York player in the same photo as Tony Philliskirk is Ricky Sbragia who managed Sunderland after Roy Keane left

Saw him last season at Shirecliffe, got something to do with Scotland now hasn't he?

View attachment 12883
Is that Willie Carlin in front of Eddie...that's a right photo of Eddie,looks like a Gomez tribute act out of Adams family.

Back
Top Bottom