TC's goal in his Blades debut

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

An actual pic of TC on his Blades debut. Note the differing hairstyle Silent Blade

View attachment 154752
Ok. I was too young to go to the match but if you read the match reports in the link below, TC headed in our 2nd after a cross by Munks on the right. It does look on the photo that the cross was from the right. I have no memory of seeing Bernard Shaw playing for us so I am asking the older Blades fans if it was quite common for Bernard Shaw to go for headers in the opposition box?

Yes, it is him. He had short hair until the 1970s
Silent mi owd here's TC signing hairs quite long,i have to admit that photo dont really look like TC,as i remember the goal pretty sure there was a defender in close proximity.
image.jpg

I’m almost certain that’s not TC and like others , my money is on it being Bernard Shaw .

Although being very short for a defender he had a good spring on him and the pose in that photo with one knee much higher than the other is absolutely typical of his technique for achieving that .

Also , as Sneinton Blade 1952 commented , I don’t remember TC’s header being a downward one but rather rising above a defender who was goal side of him and sending it high into the net .

I can’t be 100% on any of this , but those are my thoughts FWTW .

b25lY21zOmY5YWM2OTk0LTZlOWUtNDEwNy05NjZhLTMwMTNiZDkyYTU1MDplZDdhNjA4NC0wYTEzLTRjNzItYjQyZi00NGYwZmZlMTI1MDA=.jpg

I got my silk scarf nicked off me by Tottenham Hotspur fans near the Siver Blades whilst waiting for the 71 circular bus after the game !!!!

Silver not Siver
Ahhh, used to sit outside there int summer on my Lambretta LI 150 straight out of Qdadraphenia. Inside in bad weather with chips ‘n gravy.

This is a thread for’t older blades looking at some of the names. I was at the game (I think/probably) but can’t remember details. What were we talking about nurse?

yes that was the game that cost us our first division place finlay along with wraggy flogging mick jones to leeds the previous september we were coasting against fulham at 2 up but completly went to pieces after their first goal was at that 3 - 2 game with spurs fantastic match

God. My dad's face when the news broke we'd flogged Mick Jones to Leeds. He was in a dark, dark place.

"M-I, M-I-C, M-I-C-K, MICK JONES!"

Allus remember us watching that 1972 FA Cup Final when he went over and dislocated his shoulder. My dad kept muttering 'Reyt player.'

pommpey

Allus remember us watching that 1972 FA Cup Final when he went over and dislocated his shoulder. My dad kept muttering 'Reyt player.'
Yeh and Leeds plays ran off celebrating and left him in agony. MJ came to see me (and everyone else on the ward) in hospital after a car hit me and gave me a brain bleed (can’t spell heaomarage)

God. My dad's face when the news broke we'd flogged Mick Jones to Leeds. He was in a dark, dark place.

"M-I, M-I-C, M-I-C-K, MICK JONES!"

pommpey
don revie wanted to sign both mick jones and alan birchenall but rejected him saying the fans wouldnt forgive him then sold birch to chelsea in november 67 he cost us our first division position

Yes it has to be him ! Not a regular header of the ball that was a rare one. What a debut that was ,remember even now he had the ball on the touchline on the terrace side a couple of spurs closed in on him ,they couldn't tye him down it was clear even then he was a special talent just 18 he was at the time.
We managed to get relegated as well losing a lot of home games on the bounce.
This after beating Liverpool at anfield on good Friday 2-1. We just collapsed after Fulham came from 2 down to beat us 3-2! Fulham were already down really by then we just couldn't buy a win at home.
Losing to an already relegated team also cost us some years later.
We lost to Blackburn at home when leading, prior to the fateful visit to Cambridge. The loss virtually sealed relegation. I remember Micky Guy missing a sitter in front of the Blades, stood on the small terrace behind the goal.
It’s funny, as you get older, some of the bollocks that springs to mind.😳

Allus remember us watching that 1972 FA Cup Final when he went over and dislocated his shoulder.

pommpey
Elbow.

I wouldn't have mentioned it normally but I did exactly the same the year before, falling off an older kids back whilst playing Donkey Feyts. I fell head first, put my arm out to break my fall and my elbow joint went the opposite way to what it should have done. One of the older kids who saw it happen, puked up.

Ok. I was too young to go to the match but if you read the match reports in the link below, TC headed in our 2nd after a cross by Munks on the right. It does look on the photo that the cross was from the right. I have no memory of seeing Bernard Shaw playing for us so I am asking the older Blades fans if it was quite common for Bernard Shaw to go for headers in the opposition box?
Looks like Chris Guthrie to me

Silent mi owd here's TC signing hairs quite long,i have to admit that photo dont really look like TC,as i remember the goal pretty sure there was a defender in close proximity.
image.jpg
Think that's TC signing a new contract in the early/mid 70s. The V neck jumper is definitely from that fashion era.

I’m almost certain that’s not TC and like others , my money is on it being Bernard Shaw .

Although being very short for a defender he had a good spring on him and the pose in that photo with one knee much higher than the other is absolutely typical of his technique for achieving that .

Also , as Sneinton Blade 1952 commented , I don’t remember TC’s header being a downward one but rather rising above a defender who was goal side of him and sending it high into the net .

I can’t be 100% on any of this , but those are my thoughts FWTW .

Yeah, I was on the Kop, can’t be sure, but I don’t remember scoring…

Can't work it out,but the cross on the photo has come from our left,Lane end..so from memory Munks played right half and his cross was from the right..also unusual for Bernard Shaw to be up there on the right from left back..Wagstaffe didn't score with a header it was a shot..the caption says Currie but does look more like Shaw or maybe Wagstaffe and Munks crossing from the right makes me think the caption could be wrong.

Looks like Chris Guthrie to me

I’m puzzled by this .

If it’s a joke it’s one that needs explaining to me . If not , I would have expected Silent or one of our other esteemed historians to gently point out that when this goal was scored , the said Mr.Guthrie was still in short trousers before going on to join us some 7 years later .

I’m puzzled by this .

If it’s a joke it’s one that needs explaining to me . If not , I would have expected Silent or one of our other esteemed historians to gently point out that when this goal was scored , the said Mr.Guthrie was still in short trousers before going on to join us some 7 years later .
The amount of misinformation on here is simply extraordinary

Back
Top Bottom