Phipps

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

0 balance then. Prince is an angel and Wilders gone rogue type comments from him, seemingly from a place of knowing absolutely nothing, apart from being a hanger on for a time.

As bromtom said, it'll be in the grey area inbetween.

Well that took a bit longer than I expected but pretty much as predicted. Jim Phipps giving his opinion on this is the same as asking Dermot Gallagher if it was a penalty against Fulham.
The man has no real affinity to United, oh so he says some nice shit on Twitter every now and again. Believe me if/when the Prince goes he won’t be far behind him.
Its funny how Phipps never mentions the training ground and lack of work carried out on it and the fact the manager wanted another pitch on the training ground but was told no. It’s also funny how he never mentions the signing Wilder wanted or the fact that the only reason his mate is managing a premier league club is because of Chris Wilder. He also fails to mention his mate hasn’t put in a penny of his own money. The money invested was all earned on the pitch.
Believe me when the shit hits the fan and the supporters then turn on the owner tour won’t see Jim Phipps for dust.

This is the thing for me. It’s not the first time he’s done it either. I’d say it’s an orchestrated attempt by the owner and board to discredit Wilder before the official statement is released.
PA’s statement about McCabe and the plots of land he’s holding us to ransom for was pretty scathing. He doesn’t strike me as someone who would need Jim to go on Twitter oh his behalf. Like Chris Wilder, they are there own man. My experience of Jim is that he tells it as he sees it. Even knowing at the time l was a big supporter of McCabe he discussed a couple of things with me. His comments turned out to be bang on. I see Chris as the same, except the pressure on him is very very different. Whatever happens, l hope Wilder gets back to how he was, running down the touch line to celebrate, spinning ball boys around in the air after goals. (Unless he’s resigned because he’s got the Celtic job, then he can fuck right off.......)

He has a genuine affection for United. That might not suit, but he has. He’s as entitled to an opinion like the rest of us.
Why do you believe that? I don't believe it. If he did, he would be doing everything to persuade abdullah to make Wilder stay. Wilder leaves, we will be dropping down divisions against if Abdullah is still in charge.

0 balance then. Prince is an angel and Wilders gone rogue type comments from him, seemingly from a place of knowing absolutely nothing, apart from being a hanger on for a time.

As bromtom said, it'll be in the grey area inbetween.

Grey areas don't exist in 2021 unfortunately.

We may never know the truth or all the details, but what JP put out there doesn't strike me as inconceivable. Feels like it has more than a ring of truth behind it.

As for timing, maybe poorly timed, maybe no thought went into the timing of it, or maybe it's a conscious effort to set some records straight or provide an alternate view to the emotive bandwagon.
Jim is a spin doctor by trade and that statement doesn’t seem either hastily written or formatted. Both the language used and time of release will be carefully choreographed.

In my opinion, it's sounded for years like the Prince wanted a Director of Football who's one of his associates. This all kicked off in League One.
He smells his chance here as we aren't doing so well.

My guess is that he wants a DOF who he's in control of as he wants to meddle a bit in team affairs.

And I wouldn’t argue with any of that. Wilders successes proved he didn’t need one then. Does the failure this season mean that it’s raised it’s head again?
Rather than let him go now, I’d keep him for next season, DoF free, and see where we go. Especially since the names on offer are depressingly familiar, unconvincing.

Christ reading those comments it’s almost like he’s got an agenda. Oh wait.

I couldn’t care less what an ally of the Prince thinks. You could’ve guessed what that would say.

Us Blades indeed.

Some responsibility but not all.

The pool they are signing players from is very small and limited given policy dictated by the board

I really don’t believe this is the boards transfer policy at all. It doesn’t make sense that the Prince and other members of the board are making connections around Europe and the rest of the world and then dictating to the manager that he can only buy players from Britain.

The pool is small and expensive and we have no way at all of competing for the best players in that pool hence we aren’t getting value for money. Wilder has had it all his own way in terms of targets and he’s dictated to the board who he wants, we know that from how he chased and chased Brewster. The signings haven’t worked out thus far and have been costly, hence the Prince has probably tried to encourage a wider scouting network. That’s not the Princes fault if Wilder isn’t interested in that.

We didn’t need Brewster, we needed guile and craft in midfield. A good proportion of the board said it at the moment. Obviously, when we signed the lad we were all hoping for a big impact. Doesn’t change the fact that going into the season, we knew the squad was imbalanced and lacking creativity and cover in key areas.

We did need a midfielder but at the time we needed a striker and if i remember rightly that's what alot of ours fans wanted.
If you look at the strikers we had

Sharp never going to get the goals needed in the Premiership.
McGoldrick See above
McBurnie hasn't looked like scoring all season.
Mousset CW might as well have played me up front, I'm 54 and not kicked a ball in 10 years but i would have put more effort in than Mr Lamborghini.

Why do you believe that? I don't believe it. If he did, he would be doing everything to persuade abdullah to make Wilder stay. Wilder leaves, we will be dropping down divisions against if Abdullah is still in charge.

Okay. Then why don’t you believe he has?

PA’s statement about McCabe and the plots of land he’s holding us to ransom for was pretty scathing. He doesn’t strike me as someone who would need Jim to go on Twitter oh his behalf. Like Chris Wilder, they are there own man. My experience of Jim is that he tells it as he sees it. Even knowing at the time l was a big supporter of McCabe he discussed a couple of things with me. His comments turned out to be bang on. I see Chris as the same, except the pressure on him is very very different. Whatever happens, l hope Wilder gets back to how he was, running down the touch line to celebrate, spinning ball boys around in the air after goals. (Unless he’s resigned because he’s got the Celtic job, then he can fuck right off.......)
At the moment I don’t think PA would come out and say what he thinks, he needs a club statement first.

You’re a poster whose opinion I (99% of the time) value so if he’s made a decent impression on you then maybe I’m being harsh. However I still think he’s a bit of a PA unofficial mouthpiece and it doesn’t sit right with me.

Christ reading those comments it’s almost like he’s got an agenda. Oh wait.

I couldn’t care less what an ally of the Prince thinks. You could’ve guessed what that would say.

Us Blades indeed.
But what if some or all of it is true?

Jim is a spin doctor by trade and that statement doesn’t seem either hastily written or formatted. Both the language used and time of release will be carefully choreographed.

He’s a lawyer and before that was a bit more than a spin doctor. You’re doing the same as you’re accusing him of.

Because the "bloke" is the owner of the club.

A bloke who supported him with a fair transfer budget that has been squandered.

Bloke also flew over to reassure CW and praised him in the national media. Wilder responded by making subtle digs by bigging up other clubs expenditure, undermining those above (board) & beneath (players) him.

I have the utmost respect & admiration for Wilder but he shouldn't be above criticism for his shortcomings and petulant behaviour.
He was given an amount to sign players on low wages. His main targets went to other clubs because they were offered Premier League wages. Wilder was never given a chance to sign players who would keep us in the Premier League. He did very well under the circumstances, but does anyone really believe a new manager with the same financial rules will come anywhere close to what Wilder would have achieved next season? Our owner appears to be almost as bad as McCabe!

At the moment I don’t think PA would come out and say what he thinks, he needs a club statement first.

You’re a poster whose opinion I (99% of the time) value so if he’s made a decent impression on you then maybe I’m being harsh. However I still think he’s a bit of a PA unofficial mouthpiece and it doesn’t sit right with me.

He’s a company man. His loyalty is to the Prince.

Spinning bullshit about signings. If the Prince or any of the transfer committee wanted a player they suggested, all they had to do was out vote Wilder and Knill when it came to a vote (they have more than the numbers). If they wanted to veto any of Wilder's recommendations the same. Quelle surprise spinning for the Prince.

He’s a lawyer and before that was a bit more than a spin doctor. You’re doing the same as you’re accusing him of.
I agree but and if it was you or nearly any other fan doing it I might disagree but I wouldn’t have the same issue with it. My issue with Jim is he’s gone to great lengths in the recent past to prove he has an inside line at the club and that gives what he says far more weight than what anyone of us says. For the record had wit or anyone of wilders mates come out with a similar point by point breakdown tonight I would have the same issue as they have proven the same thing in the recent past.

Maybe so Sean but it doesn’t get away from the fact he won’t criticise the owner in any way shape or form. He won’t even admit there have been mistakes on both sides.
I’m sorry but I’m more inclined to think there is much more to this than meets the eye Wilder wouldn’t go without good reason.

I’m not suggesting there’s not an element of bias there, but l see him as his own man, opinion wise. As l do Wilder. As for PA, yes, l did mean as a club statement , as when he seemingly exposed McCabes mendacity over the land deal crashing and burning.

He's basically saying Wilder should the toe the line. That means a Director of Football, which therefore means signings forced upon on him. No decent manager would accept that change in circumstances
A director of football doesn't make signings.
He either makes them happen
Or he puts the kibosh on them

Depending on money

But the players the management would be talking to would surely be players Wilder had already identified

Spinning bullshit about signings. If the Prince or any of the transfer committee wanted a player they suggested, all they had to do was out vote Wilder and Knill when it came to a vote (they have more than the numbers). If they wanted to veto any of Wilder's recommendations the same. Quelle surprise spinning for the Prince.

And then people on here would be moaning that he’s taking control and he’s not letting Wilder do the job. It looks as though the Prince has given Wilder every opportunity to make decisions of his own back and he’s been very clear about that in the past.

One of the reasons people on this board are pissed off is because they think the Prince is wanting to interfere too much. You can’t have it both ways.

And then people on here would be moaning that he’s taking control and he’s not letting Wilder do the job. It looks as though the Prince has given Wilder every opportunity to make decisions of his own back and he’s been very clear about that in the past.

One of the reasons people on this board are pissed off is because they think the Prince is wanting to interfere too much. You can’t have it both ways.

The Prince and the transfer committee are just as responsible for the signing as Chris "one vote" Wilder. That's the point.

Back
Top Bottom