Sunday drink

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

what happens when the high earners aren't performing though, such as now? And in Brayford's case since we signed him permanently.

Sharp was on the whole, decent last season. Not amazing though but you can't argue he scored the goals. This season he has been awful, and chances are he won't get better since our style of play is not going to suit him at all. We've seen him playing in a direct, long ball side before and it doesn't work for him. He'll continue to be a passenger IMO, but a very expensive one. I'd look to move him on if we can.

It's quite simple really, when the high earners aren't performing, you move them on........and then you end up with some cheaper players not performing.....move them on and then get relegated.

DB,
I'm not suggesting we should build around Clarke.
I like what I heard about CW's 'pressing football' and was looking forward to seeing us use pace to put teams under pressure.
As we know, this has so far failed to materialize, so by off-loading more high-earners (Sharp/Done) we will have more than enough for their replacements.
Personally, I'd give McN a chance in the new system, but as Grizzly pointed out, his card might already be marker for an exit.
As for who we get in instead, no idea mate. I just hope CW has earmarked the necessary replacements to instil his preferred style.

Spooky!

It's quite simple really, when the high earners aren't performing, you move them on........and then you end up with some cheaper players not performing.....move them on and then get relegated.

Or, we bring in players that suit the style of play favoured by the manager, and deemed the way to get us up.
So far, only one on loan. I reckon we might sign a couple permanent and then look to the premier league to loan us some young stars.
Doesn't seem to be much avenue for our youngsters mind

Leon Clarke offers a hell of a lot more to the team than Sharp....because of the way Wilder wants the team to play.

Clarke is bigger, stronger, faster. He can score, and without checking will have a similar scoring record to Sharp. (Might look a chuff here, but prepared to stick to it)
If Sharp isn't doing the Job he needs to go. He was made Captain based on his effort last season, the only player busting a gut.

Same cannot be said so far....so he was either doing it for Adkins, doesn't want to do it for Wilder or his legs have suddenly gone and he can't do it.

I'll be honest I cannot for the life of me be arsed to read through 10 pages of this but I want to pick you up on this.

Sharp's scoring record is miles better than Clarke's and the majority of Sharp's goals were scored in a higher division. This is not just aimed at you so don't take it too personally. The people calling for Sharp to be sold are the same people that called for McDonald to be sold. Oh he does not run around like a headless chicken and chase no hope passes get rid.

Anyone saying get rid of last seasons top scorer is either mentally ill or knows absolutely nothing about football.

Please understand that Leon Clarke is not fit to lace Billy's boots and it's got nowt to do with him being an ex Wednesday player it's just basic facts. I saw something on Sky the other day that says Sharp is still currently the 4th highest goalscorer ever in the championship and some of you want rid.

Jesus supporting United is frustrating.

I'll be honest I cannot for the life of me be arsed to read through 10 pages of this but I want to pick you up on this.

Sharp's scoring record is miles better than Clarke's and the majority of Sharp's goals were scored in a higher division. This is not just aimed at you so don't take it too personally. The people calling for Sharp to be sold are the same people that called for McDonald to be sold. Oh he does not run around like a headless chicken and chase no hope passes get rid.

Anyone saying get rid of last seasons top scorer is either mentally ill or knows absolutely nothing about football.

Please understand that Leon Clarke is not fit to lace Billy's boots and it's got nowt to do with him being an ex Wednesday player it's just basic facts. I saw something on Sky the other day that says Sharp is still currently the 4th highest goalscorer ever in the championship and some of you want rid.

Define miles better? I like Sharp, I like Clarke. I wish they could play together.

I believe in building an offensive strategy, Not one built solely around Clarke...or Sharp for that matter.
I favour one that's fluid in its style and type, one that sees maybe 4 players getting double figures in goals. Yes it's nice having a striker scoring 20plus goals and in a fluid, unpredictable attacking system we may well have someone surpass that figure too.

For too long we have been predictable. We have relied on inch perfect crosses when teams have had numbers back....poor conversion the result as we don't have the players good enough to deliver. What we should be looking for is Pace. Pure and simple. Pace and movement, quick passing and ball retention. Move teams around, exploit gaps, run at them and make them double up to leave space elsewhere to exploit. When have we done this? Who in recent times have we had that can do this for us....Murphy...and to a lesser extent Adams....and once every 10-15 games JCR.

Duffy is capable, but needs others to work with. McNulty also looks good at that type of game...Scougall too. But we need the pace more than anything, so if these lot aren't doing it then cheerio.

I don't do names, I don't make suggestions and that's down to not having seen sufficient evidence. I watch Sheff United, and the premier league games on Sky. Don't have the time to spend looking for players.
Seen players look decent against us but that isn't enough to think they are for us, but it's not my job. Mitchell is here and being paid to do it with the manager, Knill and also Binnion.
I'm more than happy to let them do their job, after all it's their job that will be gone if they don't do it well.

Here's hoping Mitchell has a little black book full of top targets from lower leagues.

Is the fuck up due to this Mitchell fella not being good as we thought he was . Did Wilder take advice / recommendations from him regarding players in his little black book. If so his strike rate ain't that good up to press.

Wilder carries the can but ALL back room staff and players have to step up to the mark .

Wilder still could walk to save the club and himself . The guy is making Adams look good at the moment .

It's a fuck up . Need 4 new players and just running out of time .

But we aren't in the championship and Clarke has many more goals in League 1 than Sharpe .

I'm not actually disagreeing with you , just reminding you that statistics can be manipulated any which way you chose .

Define miles better? I like Sharp, I like Clarke. I wish they could play together.

In terms of goal scoring ability.

Sharp 30 year old 161 career goals with a larger amount (70's) scored in the league above.
Clarke 31 year old 111 career goals mostly in this league.

Clarke is a good signing and a good player to have in this league but he should not be compared to Sharp.

But we aren't in the championship and Clarke has many more goals in League 1 than Sharpe .

I'm not actually disagreeing with you , just reminding you that statistics can be manipulated any which way you chose .

Yes they can but I am not manipulated stats I am proving that Sharp is a better footballer than Clarke and he is.

In terms of goal scoring ability.

Sharp 30 year old 161 career goals with a larger amount (70's) scored in the league above.
Clarke 31 year old 111 career goals mostly in this league.

Clarke is a good signing and a good player to have in this league but he should not be compared to Sharp.

Has Clarke scored for more than one manager? Goals to game ratio? Assists? (I have no idea of the stats, i cant be arsed to look them up but people talk about Clarke as someone who holds the ball up and brings others into play)

Whether Sharp scored in league above or not is irrelevant, its not the league we are in.

Shearer is the all time goal scorer in the prem but right now, I would rather have Sharp or Clarke instead of him.

Yes they can but I am not manipulated stats I am proving that Sharp is a better footballer than Clarke and he is.

And does your analysis include a comparison of the merits , or otherwise , of the two in League 1 and in a team set up/system that's frankly alien to Sharpe but not Clarke ?

Has Clarke scored for more than one manager? Goals to game ratio? Assists? (I have no idea of the stats, i cant be arsed to look them up but people talk about Clarke as someone who holds the ball up and brings others into play)

Whether Sharp scored in league above or not is irrelevant, its not the league we are in.

Shearer is the all time goal scorer in the prem but right now, I would rather have Sharp or Clarke instead of him.

I take it you mean Shearer now not Shearer 15 years ago otherwise I have to question your judgement.

Sharps Goal to game ratio is 0.41 Clarkes is 0.31. No idea on assists.

And does your analysis include a comparison of the merits , or otherwise , of the two in League 1 and in a team set up/system that's frankly alien to Sharpe but not Clarke ?

Well to say Clarke is used to this system he's hardly performing.

It is beyond me why Clarke and Sharp can't play as a pair or any two random big /small striker combination come to that.
If Sharp isn't getting on Clarkes flick ons, then Clarke needs to tell him to get closer and where he's going to put it? Surely they can communicate FFS?

Although having seen Clarkes introductory interview on Bladesplayer, perhaps therein lies the problem :confused:

One thing why they can't play as a pair - Pace .

I won't repeat what others have said, as they have made one of my points for me.

However, I haven't said I believe Clarke is a better footballer.

What I am saying, is that Clarke may be a more beneficial player for us to have at this moment in time, and in our position. Sharp may well have scored more goals at a higher level....surrounded by players capable of creating they type of chances he can thrive on.
Furthermore, the cost of keeping Sharp is possibly a luxury we cannot afford when we desperately need other recruits...and crucially THE OWNERS ARENT GOING TO PAY FOR THEM.

so sadly, Sharp is good at what he does. He has a value, and a wage cost that is needed to help fund more players in. We can all aim our anger at the manager, but the probability is that we missed out on certain targets who were free, due to policies enforced on the manager and a refusal to trust the manager to make the cuts when he could. And by that I mean the owner refusing to temporarily fund additions while the right time came about and the bidders came in to move others out. Those others being Adams, Brayford and quite possibly Sharp now too.

It's only my opinion, but I believe if Wilder had got his way we would have had at least 3 more players in by now, and the team he wants completed well before the Bolton game. Proper clubs are finishing off their squads now....we are still desperate for players.
Wilder....sold down the river and let down by the board. Just like Wilson, Clough and to some degree Adkins. And the distrust was brought about as the board have such a poor understanding of football and believe that every signing should be an instant success.

Wilder needs our backing...vocally and on here. Same as the players.
We as fans are doing ourselves no favours being divided and getting on our own. We should be sticking together, because if we really want rid of the problem, we need to be in a position where he can find a buyer.

I take it you mean Shearer now not Shearer 15 years ago otherwise I have to question your judgement.

Sharps Goal to game ratio is 0.41 Clarkes is 0.31. No idea on assists.
He clearly means Shearer now, not Shearer 15 years ago ffs.

Why's everyone popping at Ckarke ffs. Won nearly every header pumped up to him. Not his fault we don't have fast attacking players playing an aggressive attacking game. At least no one promised that, did they? Ow ang on.
EXACTLY

I won't repeat what others have said, as they have made one of my points for me.

However, I haven't said I believe Clarke is a better footballer.

What I am saying, is that Clarke may be a more beneficial player for us to have at this moment in time, and in our position. Sharp may well have scored more goals at a higher level....surrounded by players capable of creating they type of chances he can thrive on.
Furthermore, the cost of keeping Sharp is possibly a luxury we cannot afford when we desperately need other recruits...and crucially THE OWNERS ARENT GOING TO PAY FOR THEM.

so sadly, Sharp is good at what he does. He has a value, and a wage cost that is needed to help fund more players in. We can all aim our anger at the manager, but the probability is that we missed out on certain targets who were free, due to policies enforced on the manager and a refusal to trust the manager to make the cuts when he could. And by that I mean the owner refusing to temporarily fund additions while the right time came about and the bidders came in to move others out. Those others being Adams, Brayford and quite possibly Sharp now too.

It's only my opinion, but I believe if Wilder had got his way we would have had at least 3 more players in by now, and the team he wants completed well before the Bolton game. Proper clubs are finishing off their squads now....we are still desperate for players.
Wilder....sold down the river and let down by the board. Just like Wilson, Clough and to some degree Adkins. And the distrust was brought about as the board have such a poor understanding of football and believe that every signing should be an instant success.

Wilder needs our backing...vocally and on here. Same as the players.
We as fans are doing ourselves no favours being divided and getting on our own. We should be sticking together, because if we really want rid of the problem, we need to be in a position where he can find a buyer.

I agree that Wilder needs to be backed but selling our best players then not replacing them is why we are in this current situation. We have already gotten rid of Brayford and Adams, Woolford is now off the wage bill as well. Surely with those gone we do not also need to offload or top scorer from last year.

A 20+ a year goal scorer is a rare commodity and it frustrates me to see fellow blades happy to see us lose that commodity. Sell quality and replace with rubbish and you end up rubbish hence why we are were we are.

So was Billy one that 'needed to go' before he took the job?

No, he's played himself into that position. He was certainly one that 'needed not to be captain' as all but the Bladiest of Bladey Blades knew at the time...

And I agree Danny lad.
We got Adams a lot cheaper than we sold him for so it can be done.

Worry is that we are looking at the past when contemplating who might come in. We just have to trust that Wilder will be able to find players like Clough managed with Adams to replace Adams, Brayford, Sharp.
They are out there...it's just that we haven't been very good at finding them in the past.

I'm hoping we have changed wi that regard.

Back
Top Bottom