Sunday drink

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I said this on Saturday, but I personally think Billy Sharp is only successful under one manager who can get the best out of him. I'd hazard a guess that he has scored 70% of his league goals under 1 manager, and that is the bloke we sacked last season.

I wouldn't be too disappointed if he left, same goes for Done, however I have got an inkling that Coutts and Freeman will perform better under the tutelage of Wilder

Clarke, categorically, is. We beg to differ.

Stay tuned !

UTB
We could have Ruud Van Nistelrooy and Raul up top. If you have Chris Basham, Matt Done, Stefan Scougall in midfield - you aren't going to win the midfield battle and you aren't going to create chances for the strikers to score. Hence why we have to boot it long.
The midfield is the biggest problem, closely followed by the defence.
The forward line is not the issue. There are at least 60 goals in that whole front line given the right service.

We could have Ruud Van Nistelrooy and Raul up top. If you have Chris Basham, Matt Done, Stefan Scougall in midfield - you aren't going to win the midfield battle and you aren't going to create chances for the strikers to score. Hence why we have to boot it long.
The midfield is the biggest problem, closely followed by the defence.
The forward line is not the issue. There are at least 60 goals in that whole front line given the right service.

Some good obs, difficult to disagree with much of what you say.

But I'll stand by my pre season assertion that Clarke will be a bad signing. And I don't see that changing, to use your own style of analogy, even if we were to get Iniesta, Pogba, Modric and Payet running the midfield.

Stay tuned.

UTB

No idea. But I think it's a very safe bet that Sharp and Brayford will be the highest earners.

Dya think SUFC are the only club who have players in the first XI who's wages vary?

So, we get rid of the high earners (who are high earning as they're potentially the best players) and replace them with players who earn less but who are also not as good as the high earners we get rid of?

If that's the case, let's not moan and groan and all sit back comfortably and watch the seasons in L1 become decades of nothingness.

Some good obs, difficult to disagree with much of what you say.

But I'll stand by my pre season assertion that Clarke will be a bad signing. And I don't see that changing, to use your own style of analogy, even if we were to get Iniesta, Pogba, Modric and Payet running the midfield.

Stay tuned.

UTB
He scored 19 goals for Bury last season... I think if he had Iniesta, Pogba, Modric and Payet in midfield in league one he could quite easily match that.
Not sure what I'm staying tuned to.

Dya think SUFC are the only club who have players in the first XI who's wages vary?

So, we get rid of the high earners (who are high earning as they're potentially the best players) and replace them with players who earn less but who are also not as good as the high earners we get rid of?

If that's the case, let's not moan and groan and all sit back comfortably and watch the seasons in L1 become decades of nothingness.

what happens when the high earners aren't performing though, such as now? And in Brayford's case since we signed him permanently.

Sharp was on the whole, decent last season. Not amazing though but you can't argue he scored the goals. This season he has been awful, and chances are he won't get better since our style of play is not going to suit him at all. We've seen him playing in a direct, long ball side before and it doesn't work for him. He'll continue to be a passenger IMO, but a very expensive one. I'd look to move him on if we can.

He scored 19 goals for Bury last season... I think if he had Iniesta, Pogba, Modric and Payet in midfield in league one he could quite easily match that.
Give it 10 games.

Come back to me.

Tell me I was wrong.

UTB

Yet Sharp scored more playing with our clowns

Absolutely feckin no!

I'm just trying to hang on to my sanity are telling myself it will get better!
It will get better, at some point. For example, next season, in league 2, we might actually keep a few clean sheets :)

Yet Sharp scored more playing with our clowns
Clarke only played 29 games and his dad died during that period. Significant mental strength. Sharp played 10 more games and scored 1 more goal...
This isn't a Sharp v Clarke thread either so don't try and turn it into one. I feel for both of them with the midfield we have.

You already spend your time calling him a bastard even though he is only to co-owner and it will be Wilder who sells him not McCabe.
Co-owner ffs. It's a good job, where we were going pre-prince god only knows. Weir was in charge, McDonald had just gone. Relegation was well and truly on the cards.
Wilder will sell him under advice from MCCabe that he'll have the money to spend. And then he'll give him a quarter of it and expect him to get us promoted.

Clarke only played 29 games and his dad died during that period. Significant mental strength. Sharp played 10 more games and scored 1 more goal...
This isn't a Sharp v Clarke thread either so don't try and turn it into one. I feel for both of them with the midfield we have.

Was already one. People can't come on here and harp on how Sharp hasn't played well and we should sell him, without comparing him to the striker we brought in who has done even less.

The one thing I think we can all pick up is that not all is well.

Coutts wants out, Sharp, Done, Long. We need to get them out or Wilder needs to do some repairing.

I can't for the life of me understand how anyone could advocate the sale of Billy Sharp, he's had a poor start to the season? scored with the only chance I've personally seen him being provided with, that's the problem no service. We need players who are prepared to give their all for the club during a relegation battle because that's where we're heading. Never mind we can always rely on Paul Coutts to put a shift in the world's gone mad.

Your right. It isn't.

But it IS a problem, is it not ?

I'll leave you with this.

Under Wilder.

Sharp looks "sharp" in pre-season, scoring and assisting for fun (albeit against lower opposition).

Clarke arrives. On the back of a "successful" season at Bury.

BOTH subsequently turn to dogshit overnight.

Cause,

Effect.

Basic ( or just a higher overall depth of understanding).

UTB

Co-owner ffs. It's a good job, where we were going pre-prince god only knows. Weir was in charge, McDonald had just gone. Relegation was well and truly on the cards.
Wilder will sell him under advice from MCCabe that he'll have the money to spend. And then he'll give him a quarter of it and expect him to get us promoted.
Fuckin el danny you are bitter, how do you know so much? How do you know that if, a big if as well, sharp goes it is without doubt because mccabe has said so and definitely not Wilder, I realise a lot of people are not lovers of our Co owner but sometimes you have to stand back a little and consider what you are saying

Again, do you think he would drop down?

I think we'd have a massive job on persuading him. He signed a new contract in the summer and I don't think he'll want to leave before at least January. If he does leave it would surely have to be for a better option than us given that he had Championship clubs interested in him. If I was him I wouldn't sign for us, put it that way. I don't think Bristol Rovers will have a hard time persuading him to stay until January.

Fuckin el danny you are bitter, how do you know so much? How do you know that if, a big if as well, sharp goes it is without doubt because mccabe has said so and definitely not Wilder, I realise a lot of people are not lovers of our Co owner but sometimes you have to stand back a little and consider what you are saying
I'm bitter? 6 years in fucking league 1 and the only real prospect of leaving it this year is to the old 4th, I'd be ashamed of myself if I wasn't.
The bloke is a sack.

The decision to make Billy captain is the most worrying aspect of this squad rebuilding. It smacked of Adkins decision to make McEvely captain but I kept my powder dry from myself convinced I was just feeling negative.
In hindsight it suggests it was as bad a decision as the McEvely one.

or Clough making Higdon captain - in his first game? If you need a captain (and in my book it's a big 'if') the very worst positions to choose are goalie or lone striker.

Problem is we 10% of the season has passed and we've got 1 point. That's a running rate of 10 points this season and everyone's saying we're only four games in, don't panic, well feck that....

But you are panicking. Actually, we're on course for 12 points. :(

Back
Top Bottom