Sunday drink

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Some good obs, difficult to disagree with much of what you say.

But I'll stand by my pre season assertion that Clarke will be a bad signing. And I don't see that changing, to use your own style of analogy, even if we were to get Iniesta, Pogba, Modric and Payet running the midfield.

Stay tuned.

UTB

Whether he is a good signing or not (and I think he is. You need a good tall mobile striker in this league and he will prove himself just that) it is not for Billy the Blade to decide who plays alongside him. He should do as the manager asks him and give 100% whilst he's at it. Either that or fuck off. Leon Clarke has done nothing wrong yet some want him to take the stick for Bladey Bill playing crap.

Pathetic.

Whether he is a good signing or not (and I think he is. You need a good tall mobile striker in this league and he will prove himself just that) it is not for Billy the Blade to decide who plays alongside him. He should do as the manager asks him and give 100% whilst he's at it. Either that or fuck off. Leon Clarke has done nothing wrong yet some want him to take the stick for Bladey Bill playing crap.

Pathetic.
For someone who has a genuinely deep understanding of the game, this latest instalment is staggering Pinch. Staggering.

Explain this to me.

Under Wilder.

Sharp looks "sharp" in pre-season, scoring and assisting for fun (albeit against lower opposition).

Clarke arrives. On the back of a "successful" season at Bury.

BOTH subsequently turn to dogshit overnight.

Cause,

Effect.

Basic common sense, and, bluntly, glaringly obvious.

UTB

One thing in all this mess is a constant. Kevin McCabe. I'd be in agreement in isolation that Wilder hasn't had the best start but I can guess he didn't sanction selling Adams in the same way Adkins didn't sanction Murphy, Clough didn't sanction Harry etc etc.

Our owners are behaving like utter cretins who appear unable to stick to any plan and have smaller bollocks than a vole.

Wilder not just sanctioned the Adams sale, he deliberately procured it. He was right. Yes, I know Adams scored in a 3-1 home defeat and that proves positive that we were wrong to sell...

Done has had one good season in his entire career. It's gone. He's a waste of a shirt.

Sharp is showing neither talent not effort. Anyone who suggests he's doing more than Clarke wants their Bladey bumps feeling. At least the latter is running around and winning a few headers from the aimless punts forward.

Wilder not just sanctioned the Adams sale, he deliberately procured it. He was right. Yes, I know Adams scored in a 3-1 home defeat and that proves positive that we were wrong to sell...

Done has had one good season in his entire career. It's gone. He's a waste of a shirt.

Sharp is showing neither talent not effort. Anyone who suggests he's doing more than Clarke wants their Bladey bumps feeling. At least the latter is running around and winning a few headers from the aimless punts forward.

Your accounts been hacked. 100%.

Or the drugs do actually work, as it turns out !

UTB

For someone who has a genuinely deep understanding of the game, this latest instalment is staggering Pinch. Staggering.

Explain this to me.

Under Wilder.

Sharp looks "sharp" in pre-season, scoring and assisting for fun (albeit against lower opposition).

Cause,

Effect.

UTB

From what I read (as someone unable to attend) there have been many instances of "Clarke just failing to get a touch" in match reports, but zippo re Billy.
Any truth in that - or am I reading the wrong reports? :(

A shaky defence that isn't strong enough, a midfield that isn't creating enough, and a strike force that has never struggled to score at this level before currently having to work wonders from appalling service to them. Naturally we should sell one of the strikers then – I'm sure the defence will be more solid as a result, and that those good goal scoring chances will flow...

Sharp and Clarke aren't the problem. Sharp wasn't the problem last year at all either – some bizarre revisionism now to try and suit the argument to ditch him. A leaky defence and weak midfield were the problems last year. Even with the squad deficiencies last season though, we were able to carve out chances for Sharp (and others) to profit from. We're not carving out anything with the way we're set up now.

Explain this to me.

Under Wilder.

Cause,

Effect.

UTB

Pre-season is utterly meaningless mate. It is useful for fitness and very little else.

Sharp has absolutely no excuse for his performances and attitude. His performances are his responsibility and his alone. He has no right to choose who plays alongside him or what his role should be. If we're going down that line, sack Wilder, bring back De Juve and appoint his daft dad as manager.

Having a big striker as a focal point, to hold up the ball and bring others into play is perfectly valid in a proper football team. The problem comes when such a role is misused by Hoof and Hopers taking the easy way out, and that's what's happening to us at the moment.

I repeat, no amount of dissatisfaction with manager, other players, or systems, begins to justify Sharp's negligible contribution to the team effort this season. One goal; well taken. One good cross. That's it. The armband is the only evidence he's captain. Whatever else happens, remove it now....

The problem for me is that neither of them are playing well enough, if Sharp is playing at 4 or 5 out of 10 level, then Clarke is no more than 5 or 6 out of 10.

The problem is the system and a strike partnership that will never work.

I think it is safe to say at the end of last season any Blade if asked would have said our best players or the ones with any re-sale value would be Adams, Brayford and Sharp. Anyone else see a pattern emergimg here? I would not be the least bit surprised if Sharp is offloaded to me it is just a cost cutting exercise that Wilder has very little control over he is just there to take the flack at the end of the day. I can see things getting much worse before they get better the main reason I did not re-new my season ticket for this season.

I don't know how many times this needs to be said: Tufty did not rate Adams. He wanted to sell him to procure funds for recruitment. He wouldn't have been a starter in any event. One of our very best substitutes, without a doubt...

I don't know how many times this needs to be said: Tufty did not rate Adams. He wanted to sell him to procure funds for recruitment. He wouldn't have been a starter in any event. One of our very best substitutes, without a doubt...

That appears to have not worked out for the gaffer:

Sharp has absolutely no excuse for his performances and attitude. His performances are his responsibility and his alone. He has no right to choose who plays alongside him or what his role should be.

Of course Sharp can't pick the team, but it shouldn't be a surprise to see his performance level drop when you play a system that doesn't suit him. Sharp couldn't play with a target man when he was up front with Beattie many years ago, so why are we trying to do it again when Sharp is 30?

Wilder is the one making a mistake trying to make this partnership work, he needs to decide between Sharp or Clarke.

The problem for me is that neither of them are playing well enough, if Sharp is playing at 4 or 5 out of 10 level, then Clarke is no more than 5 or 6 out of 10.

The problem is the system and a strike partnership that will never work.

If you mean bringing in a big centre-forward and then using him as unintelligently as humanly possible, I agree entirely. It doesn't have to be that way.

So if we get shut of Sharp Done McNulty as well as Adams we are clearly planning on not scoring goals.

One thing your mate will be right on is getting shut of players.

The transfers in won't happen.
How many have these folk scored so far?

Your accounts been hacked. 100%.

Or the drugs do actually work, as it turns out !

UTB

My principles remain the same mate and are very close to your own.

However, we have to back Tufty. I say that as one of the fiercest opponents of his appointment. He needs to be given his head and some time to build his own team. That, or we sack him and reassemble the bricks yet again...

My principles remain the same mate and are very close to your own.

However, we have to back Tufty. I say that as one of the fiercest opponents of his appointment. He needs to be given his head and some time to build his own team. That, or we sack him and reassemble the bricks yet again...
Agree on Tufty.

Disagree, fundamentally and to my very core, on Clarke.

Time will tell !

UTB

Well the rumours are out there now, and the waters will be tested.
Based on this thread alone 70/30 sharp gone.

Chris Wilder and Alan Knill know more about football than you!!

Don't you just love those "know nothing about football" jibes. Usually come from wet behind the ears young tyros and predicated on the dubious notion that they themselves are steeped in football wisdom...

Don't you just love those "know nothing about football" jibes. Usually come from wet behind the ears young tyros and predicated on the dubious notion that they themselves are steeped in football wisdom...

Well I also said you could be mentally ill to be fair.

I said this on Saturday, but I personally think Billy Sharp is only successful under one manager who can get the best out of him. I'd hazard a guess that he has scored 70% of his league goals under 1 manager, and that is the bloke we sacked last season.

Thought I'd give this a look for Sharp's league record, as I was genuinely interested to see what the stats were.

Under Adkins...

United: Played 46(2) 22 goals
Reading: Played 6 (4) 2 goals
Southampton: Played 11(6) 9 goals
Scunthorpe: Played 28, 18 goals (a further 17 games, 12 goals the season NA took over came before he took over)

Total: Played 91 (12) 51 goals

Other teams: 245 (48) 111 goals

So Sharp has scored around 30% of his goals under Adkins – around 70% of his goals have been actually scored while he's been managed by someone not Adkins.

He has a slightly better scoring ratio under Adkins. Compared to a career rate 0.4 goals per game overall, he has 0.5 under Adkins, 0.38 when he was managed by others. Though 40 of the 51 Adkins goals game in League 1.

He's performed well elsewhere for other people – Scunny under Laws before Adkins, Donny under mostly O'Driscoll.

This isn't a "he only plays well under Adkins" thing. He's shown he's a good player elsewhere and at a higher level.

And the only proof that they want to get rid of Sharp is from a man in the pub.

He is an overpaid player and thinking of his car (see below photo) winds me up when he doesnt have a good game especially in the 3-0 defeat against Southend last week.

CguT8vKW0AA6LTy.jpg

Is it Clarke himself, or the notion of a traditional centre-forward? I'm interested... :)

I think there has been evidence of how effective a traditional CF can be, in the two home games as recently as this season.

Calvin Andrew showed himself to be effective.

Nile Ranger did more in 20 mins than Clarke has done in 4 / 5 games.

I don't have a problem with Clarke, the man. For example, what has happened in his personal life, is genuinely tear jerking.

I do have a problem with Clarke the player. There is more than an element of truth in what you say, as regards to balls flying in from all angles, which are clearly not going to be effective, whoever you are.

But when Clarke (or any other target style man) is deployed in a system such as the one we are presently using, I look for one key element.

Is possession retained, or does it turnover ? Rather simplistic, but bear with me.

A target mans primary objective, IMHO, is to link the play.

Yes chip in with a few goals and assists along the way, but primarily, it's to link up play.

This can be acheived by flicking headers for runners, or out to wider players. By controlling the ball with chest and linking in players, or with balls in to feet, and then linking in players.

Ignoring the balls which are hoofed aimlessly, the ones that are ACCURATELY played in to Clarke, where he has a genuine opportunity to link play as described above, more often than not (around 80% in my estimation) result in a possession turnover. That's not great, IMHO.

On top of this L1 defenders tend to be tall, strong, dominant headers of the ball. Leon, contrary to some ludicrous ascertains,does not win all of these aerial battles. Far from it.

This style of play just plays in to the oppose hands. Our target man, unlike Ranger etc. Is actually not very good at being a target man. Go figure.

So getting back to your play it in to his feet and see the difference suggestion.

Do you see what I see ?Cos if you do, you will see a first touch that's woeful, mostly resulting in the 2nd touch being a tackle.

In summary, and I must dismiss your suggestion that pre-season is meaningless, we have signed a very poor "striker", changed our playing style in the course of a few short weeks to accommodate him, and in the same breath, alienated to the point of frustration and despair last seasons top scorer, top assisted, fans player and players player of the season.

I don't buy it.

I don't get it.

I don't like it.

UTB

And take those 35 out we'd be relegated with the worst ever record because can you really see goals coming from anywhere else in the team? I can't.

At the start of the season I was very optimistic regarding our forwards scoring many goals between themselves. Personally I think things changed when Leon Clarke was signed and Wilder found it too tempting to try and squeeze both into his preferred formation. More on that here. Effectively turning into a dysfunctional 4-4-2, with little link up play/playmaking from the withdrawn Clarke, affected other roles too and Done and Duffy were forced into more defensive work, which reduced their attacking impact. Basically the balance and playing style of the side became messed up.

So we agree that currently it's looking like we have a team where few will chip in with goals, but I think playing Sharp and Clarke is the main reason for it.

If this is going to happen we need it to happen quickly.
Both us and PNE are in a position to want this to happen quickly too, so fingers crossed. We need as much time as possible to get things done
Would Sharp want to commute to Preston
He is an overpaid player and thinking of his car (see below photo) winds me up when he doesnt have a good game especially in the 3-0 defeat against Southend last week.

CguT8vKW0AA6LTy.jpg
Cars gorra fat arse like him anall.

Sharp may not want to do that commute.

It may all be idle speculation. Maybe once Prestons interest is shown, and it becomes known we are willing to do business other clubs may bid.

Who knows. Will know one way or t'other in 9 days time.

Back
Top Bottom