Sunday drink

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

So if we get shut of Sharp Done McNulty as well as Adams we are clearly planning on not scoring goals.

One thing your mate will be right on is getting shut of players.

The transfers in won't happen.
We can;t score less than now. Can we?

For fucks sake, this better not be true. The one thing we were sure of at the start of the season was that we were strongest up front. One thing Wilder needs is time to build, this squad is shit and a lot of that happened before he arrived. Yes, he's bought his own players in and they haven't been overly convincing but he just had too many gaps to fill anyway.

A promotion side is built on firepower and a few weeks ago we had Sharp, Done, McNulty, DCL and Adams. Since then, we've sold Adams for relative peanuts IMO and brought in Clarke. And now what? Rumours of top scorer/captain going, previous top striker in this league (which of course we play him on the fucking wing) going and the sale of a player that has always looked a threat but never been given a run in the side. We're risking leaving ourselves short in the one area we were strong!!

Strikers like these do not lose form overnight. It is no coincidence that they've turned shite because the midfield behind them is shit. Back there, there's no ball winners, no leaders, no width or creativity. Sort the midfield and leave the attack the fuck alone.

Since selling Brian Deane in 1994 we have had four players who have managed to score 20 goals in a season.

There is a reason that they are in demand. We would be nuts to let Sharp go, absolutely barmy.

Yeah but we can get some money for him so watch this space.

The more this unfolds the more ridiculous it all looks.

When Wilder came in the one thing he didn't need to worry about was the forwards.

We had Sharp (21 goals) Adams (11 goals) Done (4 goals, but in an interrupted season) and McNulty (plenty of goals in league 2).

So far he has sold Adams, played Done in a position he can't play, hardly used McNulty, and signed another goalscorer who (a) can't play with Sharp and (b) almost single handedly knocked us out of the League cup with his misses.

I know McNulty is the black sheep of the family and I've resigned to him being sold, and I was resigned to the sale of Adams(because McCabe) but selling our top scorer from last season and Done smacks of monumental stupidity.

Sharp is our highest wage earner for a reason. He's our best player. Are we going to keep selling our highest wage earner, whoever that is.

Wilder needs to focus on what is broken - the defence and most importantly the midfield - and do something about fixing them, rather than dealing with problems that do not exist, or which would not exist if we had a couple of midfielders who could pass or, god forbid, actual wingers who can cross a ball.

If Wilder sells Sharp he last lost my support. I will also start to question his sanity, yet alone his fitness for the job.
You are so obsessed with goalscorers. I bet if you were 20 years older you would be fuming with Alf Ramsey for picking Geoff Hurst not Jimmy Greaves for the 1966 World Cup final.

We need a good and balanced team

If Billy does leave it will be a financial decision, sale value going down with every season, salary well over double of nearest high earner.

Wilder in charge of the budget, decided to let Brayford go for the same reason.
Burton are paying ALL Brayfords salary too

Surely 'a financial decision' is down to McCabe..he sets Wilder's budget after all...all managers are 'in charge of their budget'

Surely 'a financial decision' is down to McCabe..he sets Wilder's budget after all...all managers are 'in charge of their budget'
Ultimately, yes.

But Wilder knew the budget when he took the job, letting Sharp go would give him more freedom in the transfer market.

IMO letting Billy go would be a mistake.

You are so obsessed with goalscorers. I bet if you were 20 years older you would be fuming with Alf Ramsey for picking Geoff Hurst not Jimmy Greaves for the 1966 World Cup final.

Goals win football games it's not hard to comprehend why he likes goalscorers.

My thoughts... I don't give a monkeys about any of our players. Sharp was vital to us last season but his form has gone off a cliff.

Therefore, on the assumption we recruit more superior replacements before we sell anyone, I'm happy to see any player leave - no exceptions.

But the there are two problems here. Getting the right players in, and doing so before anyone leaves. Our record on that score is atrocious.

So getting rid of Sharp in particular would be a gamble and a half. I've lost faith in SUFC's capacity to make these big moves, even if they're necessary.

Ultimately, yes.

But Wilder knew the budget when he took the job, letting Sharp go would give him more freedom in the transfer market.

IMO letting Billy go would be a mistake.

I understand he knew the budget before he started, perhaps he should have done Stuart McCall?

Too big a Blade to turn it down...

I'm not sure he understood just how many of the squad would need replacing and, as many others have found before, the machinations involved behind the scenes in getting players over the line...it would appear that for whatever reason's, the club has struggled to get Wilder's first, second, third and fourth targets in...

McCabe wants the club to 'stand on its own two feet'...I'm guessing he wants the budget at around £3 million,...players of Billy's calibre don't fit into that budget.

And we don't have one with or without Sharp in the team. As someone from the Keith Edwards school of goalscoring I cannot for the life of me think why you would sell the bloke who last season pretty much kept us away from relegation.

Right now Adkins isn't looking such a bad manager and Clough looks like a god.

As you mention, KM allowed Hammond, Sammon (and fucking Higdon) to come in on fat salaries. And they weren't Blades, just useless pricks lining their pockets at the end of average careers. We had ample chance to see their talents. The suggestion that Done would have 'got 20 if he's played the games Sharp had..' is beyond laughable. Prior to this season, Done's career over 11 years has seen him play 311 matches and score 31 - one goal per ten games. Or was he just 'played out of position' by his previous six clubs?

He was a full back, played up front.
I think you might find his record as a striker is pretty good. He was signed as a striker, and was scoring goals pre Adkins.
Perhaps his previous clubs were in fact playing him out of position....just like we have for12 months.

Adams improved beyond belief, without even kicking a ball. when it became clear we were going to sell him. I see Done and McNulty are turning it on exponentially as well.

Amazing.

Which brings me onto Sharp. Appalling, this season, here and now. No ifs, no buts. Appalling in performance and attitude. Not acceptable, Bladey Bill.

Sharp is another year older and even slower (if that was possible) now. Yes his goals were vital last season, but he was playing in an Adkins team that was built around him, a team that finished with a whimper in mid table. As he ever done it for a manager other than Adkins or O'Driscoll?
For the money he is on we could do much better (Taylor from Bristol?) and it could be wise to move him on now whilst he still has a reputation

Adams improved beyond belief, without even kicking a ball. when it became clear we were going to sell him. I see Done and McNulty are turning it on exponentially as well.

Amazing.

Which brings me onto Sharp. Appalling, this season, here and now. No ifs, no buts. Appalling in performance and attitude. Not acceptable, Bladey Bill.

And he hates Bassett, Warnock and Jagielka as well guys and gals...

Loan will become permanent.

The wages BAFC are paying Brayford, will then be deducted from the final transfer fee.

Fully expect United to announce he's gone and the fee was/is undisclosed.

Might be lucky to pull in, £100,000.

Next announcement, Billy to..... (it won't be another L1 club)

Billy to PNE .

This Billy , Clarke pairing up front which would never work puzzles me . Surely Wilder and Billy discussed the signing , tactics , can you play together , before it happened.

Could Billy be pissed off because it was never discussed . One playing , one being a impact player from the bench - yep great . Both playing - no disaster.

It is beyond me why Clarke and Sharp can't play as a pair or any two random big /small striker combination come to that.
If Sharp isn't getting on Clarkes flick ons, then Clarke needs to tell him to get closer and where he's going to put it? Surely they can communicate FFS?

Although having seen Clarkes introductory interview on Bladesplayer, perhaps therein lies the problem :confused:

Er, maybe it's the manager's 'style' causing Sharp not to perform?

That's just Wilder-speak for 'If it doesn't work, it's the player's fault, not mine.' It's not rocket science. We've sold Che and wasted much of the money on average L1/below talent. Sharp's 'strike partner' - who I personally consider is an utter donkey - is the square peg here, not Billy.

At least if Billy - who's goals were the only reason we didn't get relegated last season - is sold, we won't have to worry about which talent will be the next to be flogged. We won't have any.

Not saying that i agree, but i'd rather have a manager with players that he wants, rather than just because they are a top blade...

I think Billy and Clarke will work anyway, but we need to sort the defence out first, because thats proper wank

I understand he knew the budget before he started, perhaps he should have done Stuart McCall?

Too big a Blade to turn it down...

I'm not sure he understood just how many of the squad would need replacing and, as many others have found before, the machinations involved behind the scenes in getting players over the line...it would appear that for whatever reason's, the club has struggled to get Wilder's first, second, third and fourth targets in...

McCabe wants the club to 'stand on its own two feet'...I'm guessing he wants the budget at around £3 million,...players of Billy's calibre don't fit into that budget.

The club has been doing managers legs for years. McCabe loses his bottle the minute one or two signings don't pan out as hoped.
These delays are what cause managers to miss out on players. Clough had loads of issues fighting the board when players were wanted, I'm sure Adkins probably did too. And it's not unreasonable to think the same will be happening for Wilder.

Wilder knew exactly who and how many needed to go. I believe he hoped a few may be decent enough to keep while he got things going, but ultimately knew he needed almost a full squad.
Now for any club to achieve that in one window takes some doing, but for our shower and the issues it has at board level it's impossible.
Wilder was told he can do what he needs to....and so far has been let down. He's constantly talked of bringing in new players, but these have often dragged on way beyond acceptable. This delays other targets and it ends up like a domino effect.

My only criticism of Wilder is being daft enough to think he would be able to get the number of players in that he needed, with the restrictions he has imposed regards budget, and going to the far end of a fart to get the deals done.
It actually annoys me that we are 9 days away from the window closing and we still need 4 players minimum. We should be just adding the sutures, but instead are still performing open heart surgery. That is not the managers fault.

Back
Top Bottom