Sunday drink

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Of all Sharp's goals last season how many were penalties? If he isn't performing this season he should be dropped. Just because he got 20 last year doesn't make him undroppable this season. Does it?

Leon Clarke the same. I don't think it's going to work out at all.

Agreed, But if he doesn't fit the managers style and he's also not performing, why keep him?

Er, maybe it's the manager's 'style' causing Sharp not to perform?

I'm not saying to sell him, but haven't we said square pegs in round holes doesn't work...

That's just Wilder-speak for 'If it doesn't work, it's the player's fault, not mine.' It's not rocket science. We've sold Che and wasted much of the money on average L1/below talent. Sharp's 'strike partner' - who I personally consider is an utter donkey - is the square peg here, not Billy.

At least if Billy - who's goals were the only reason we didn't get relegated last season - is sold, we won't have to worry about which talent will be the next to be flogged. We won't have any.

King Of The Whoosh eh...
:cool:
I didn't want him to come back to us because the striker we needed should be big, strong and fast. The formation Adkins played last season was just to suit Sharp as he was his favourite and that is one of the reasons why we finished mid-table. Getting rid of him and his high salary will allow us to find a better striker. We need a good team rather than have a few individuals on high salary

I didn't want him to come back to us because the striker we needed should be big, strong and fast. The formation Adkins played last season was just to suit Sharp as he was his favourite and that is one of the reasons why we finished mid-table. Getting rid of him and his high salary will allow us to find a better striker. We need a good team rather than have a few individuals on high salary

Which striker will we sign then?

Hang on....Billy scored some goals yes.
You do know that if he wasn't in the team someone else would have been?

Look, Sharp didn't win football matches all on his own. He didn't fly past players, smash home goals from all over the place. He took a few penalties, and scored the odd goal. But also missed a lot.
We would not have gone down but for Sharps' "heroics"

If we all want to rant about paying silly money for crap players....we need to look at what players are earning and what they bring to the team....so if we apply that to Sharp...he's paid way too much.

Getting rid of him and his high salary will allow us to find a better striker.

I'd love to have that faith and confidence in Wilder.
But.
I can't. There's nothing so far i've seen that makes me think he'll get it right. Not yet.

If he does. Great.

But if anyone's asking me to choose, Big Harv or Billy Sharp as main striker.

I think it's obvious who I would go with.

Let's wait and see what this week brings.
Players will come in....and they might just be pretty good.

Wilder needs to stick to the plan he had from the off. Replicate what worked for him at Northampton. High tempo, hard work and team work.
If the players here can't cut it....we can't waste time we get rid for some who can.

Wilder is in a very dificult place, budget being cut and his highest earners not performing. So he has to make quick decisions, some might not like them. No player is bigger than the club, and certainly not Billy Sharp.

Let's wait and see what this week brings.
Players will come in....and they might just be pretty good.

Wilder needs to stick to the plan he had from the off. Replicate what worked for him at Northampton. High tempo, hard work and team work.
If the players here can't cut it....we can't waste time we get rid for some who can.

Wilder is in a very dificult place, budget being cut and his highest earners not performing. So he has to make quick decisions, some might not like them. No player is bigger than the club, and certainly not Billy Sharp.

It is fine to say this, however he spent the summer chasing Leon Clarke, and as yet I don't think he has broken sweat. Doesn't bust a gut to get on the end of any cross and yet everyone is seeing Sharp as the problem. There wasn't a problem in pre-season so what's changed?

I have no problem with getting rid of Sharp, however if you're leaving me with Leon Clarke as our main striker we're fecked.

Leon Clarke offers a hell of a lot more to the team than Sharp....because of the way Wilder wants the team to play.

Clarke is bigger, stronger, faster. He can score, and without checking will have a similar scoring record to Sharp. (Might look a chuff here, but prepared to stick to it)
If Sharp isn't doing the Job he needs to go. He was made Captain based on his effort last season, the only player busting a gut.

Same cannot be said so far....so he was either doing it for Adkins, doesn't want to do it for Wilder or his legs have suddenly gone and he can't do it.

My two penneth.

So far we have seen Brayford miles off form. Personally think due to finding out we wanted rid of him. He's a bit of a wet lettuce it seems and needs to be loved.

Sharp- scored goals last season for Adkins. Played nearly all games, missed some real sitters and took penalties. Is pretty slow, and so far has done nothing to justify role as captain, and done nothing to suggest he would even get into double figures. Not even a particularly good penalty taker.

Done- another who's done very little. Been given plenty of game time and not done the job needed by the manager.

McNulty- despite what the manager said when he came in, the fact he's not played despite clear deficiencies up front with Sharp and Done says enough to me. The club want rid, and at her than release him felt they would get a fee if they bide their time.

So if the OP's mate is right....we lose 3 players who have so far looked crap, or don't fit in with what the manager wants. Freeman has done nothing wrong so deserves the chance to prove he can do the job Wilder wants.
We get an experienced centre half, and a lot more genuine pace in the side.
Might piss a few off, but might also have us closing down opponents quicker, beating opponents with pace and generally a more dangerous team.
I hope he is right. Completely fresh start....patience and we will be a lot better long term.

Absolutely spot-on. Done was a flash in the pan. McNulty has an interesting approach to his duties as a professional footballer. The Billy Sharp occupying the number 10 this season is a waste of said shirt. He should never have been made captain and is proving that game by game.

It's not working and radical changes are needed.

Gerremselttufty.

When Wilder came in the one thing he didn't need to worry about was the forwards.

We had Sharp (21 goals) Adams (11 goals) Done (4 goals, but in an interrupted season) and McNulty (plenty of goals in league 2).

So far he has sold Adams, played Done in a position he can't play, hardly used McNulty, and signed another goalscorer who (a) can't play with Sharp and (b) almost single handedly knocked us out of the League cup with his misses.

I know McNulty is the black sheep of the family and I've resigned to him being sold, and I was resigned to the sale of Adams(because McCabe) but selling our top scorer from last season and Done smacks of monumental stupidity.

Sharp is our highest wage earner for a reason. He's our best player. Are we going to keep selling our highest wage earner, whoever that is.

Wilder needs to focus on what is broken - the defence and most importantly the midfield - and do something about fixing them, rather than dealing with problems that do not exist, or which would not exist if we had a couple of midfielders who could pass or, god forbid, actual wingers who can cross a ball.

If Wilder sells Sharp he last lost my support. I will also start to question his sanity, yet alone his fitness for the job.

And when we are relegated with a top scorer putting about seven in, ignorant stuff like this is going to look hilarious.

I see that now Sharp is overrated and rubbish. Apparently we'd have been fine without him last season. Someone else would have got those goals. Probably Connor Fucking Salmon.

3 players with 20+ goals in 25 years and you can't wait to get rid of them. Same with Beattie.

I'm stepping away for a while. The lunatics have taken over the asylum.

When Wilder came in the one thing he didn't need to worry about was the forwards.

We had Sharp (21 goals) Adams (11 goals) Done (4 goals, but in an interrupted season) and McNulty (plenty of goals in league 2).

So far he has sold Adams, played Done in a position he can't play, hardly used McNulty, and signed another goalscorer who (a) can't play with Sharp and (b) almost single handedly knocked us out of the League cup with his misses.

I know McNulty is the black sheep of the family and I've resigned to him being sold, and I was resigned to the sale of Adams(because McCabe) but selling our top scorer from last season and Done smacks of monumental stupidity.

Sharp is our highest wage earner for a reason. He's our best player. Are we going to keep selling our highest wage earner, whoever that is.

Wilder needs to focus on what is broken - the defence and most importantly the midfield - and do something about fixing them, rather than dealing with problems that do not exist, or which would not exist if we had a couple of midfielders who could pass or, god forbid, actual wingers who can cross a ball.

If Wilder sells Sharp he last lost my support. I will also start to question his sanity, yet alone his fitness for the job.

And when we are relegated with a top scorer putting about seven in, ignorant stuff like this is going to look hilarious.

I see that now Sharp is overrated and rubbish. Apparently we'd have been fine without him last season. Someone else would have got those goals. Probably Connor Fucking Salmon.

3 players with 20+ goals in 25 years and you can't wait to get rid of them. Same with Beattie.

The voice of reason.

Who are you suggesting, Neymar? Nah, the 'other players in the team' haven't got a shot in them, let alone any goals. The type of player who'd 'replace' Sharp (but not his goals) would be Darius Henderson Mk. II, Leon fucking Clarke.

Look, Sharp didn't win football matches all on his own. He didn't fly past players, smash home goals from all over the place. He took a few penalties, and scored the odd goal. But also missed a lot.
We would not have gone down but for Sharps' "heroics"
The only player like you describe who we've had in recent years is Ched Evans, and our spineless board bowed down to a few Z-listers. 'Took a few penalties'? Just 4 out of his 21 goals. They all need putting away. Who, out of the current shower, would you have confidence in? (Basham would probably look to pass it). 'Scored the odd goal'? 21 in 42 League starts - good by anybody's standards.

If we all want to rant about paying silly money for crap players....we need to look at what players are earning and what they bring to the team....so if we apply that to Sharp...he's paid way too much.

'We need to look at what players are earning', total it up and realise that a number of players are stealing far more than Billy is paid - and for what?

Bladey Blades line up in support of "Billy". All too predictable. The thought that he, Done. Adams and McNulty meant we had no goal scoring problems is risible. They were all here last season weren't they? That went well...

Sharp is captain. He shouldn't be. He is acting like anything but. There can only be one manager. Players are paid to play, not interfere on the one hand or sulk on the other.

So if we hadn't had Sharp we wouldn't have signed someone else?
Pull the other one.
Adkins brought him in. He paid him Championship salary. No other player would KM have allowed this BTW...it's cos he's a Blade.

Much like Hammond....Sammon....you can't tell me that for the fee and wages paid we couldn't have found a player elsewhere capable of scoring 20 goals. We might well have had him at the club already if Adkins had played Done there....or McNulty as you say. In fact I would go as far as to say, Done would have got 20 if he'd played the games Sharp had in the same position.

Why the fook did Wilder make Billy captain to now be considering selling him? Has Clarke coming in upset the apple cart? Something appears to be very off behind the scenes, as fooking usual.

Maybe not behind the scenes, maybe rather on the scene?

The decision to make Sharp captain so soon puzzled me at the time; announced at Wilder's first press conference I think?. Presumably Wilder had met Sharp socially, and maybe there's no real surprise that two Blades who bump into each other get on?

Being very confident in his own preferred style I think Wilder imagined that he'd be able to put together a team that would create a lot of chances for Sharp to put away. But it hasn't happened and Wilder may have found out that he's desperate for some other qualities from the main striker (pace, movement, physical presence, aerial ability), and for now it's difficult to see how we're going to get the balance right with Sharp spearheading the attack. If Sharp was on average wages, no doubt he'd be kept around, but I don't think we can afford to have the highest earner on the bench and not quite fitting in.

So if we hadn't had Sharp we wouldn't have signed someone else?
Pull the other one.
Adkins brought him in. He paid him Championship salary. No other player would KM have allowed this BTW...it's cos he's a Blade.

Much like Hammond....Sammon....you can't tell me that for the fee and wages paid we couldn't have found a player elsewhere capable of scoring 20 goals. We might well have had him at the club already if Adkins had played Done there....or McNulty as you say. In fact I would go as far as to say, Done would have got 20 if he'd played the games Sharp had in the same position.

As you mention, KM allowed Hammond, Sammon (and fucking Higdon) to come in on fat salaries. And they weren't Blades, just useless pricks lining their pockets at the end of average careers. We had ample chance to see their talents. The suggestion that Done would have 'got 20 if he's played the games Sharp had..' is beyond laughable. Prior to this season, Done's career over 11 years has seen him play 311 matches and score 31 - one goal per ten games. Or was he just 'played out of position' by his previous six clubs?

As you mention, KM allowed Hammond, Sammon (and fucking Higdon) to come in on fat salaries. And they weren't Blades, just useless pricks lining their pockets at the end of average careers. We had ample chance to see their talents. The suggestion that Done would have 'got 20 if he's played the games Sharp had..' is beyond laughable. Prior to this season, Done's career over 11 years has seen him play 311 matches and score 31 - one goal per ten games. Or was he just 'played out of position by his previous six clubs?

No, he was played in his position, which was left back. He only played upfront as rochdale had no fit strikers, then scored a boat load (by rochdale standards) then then sold him to us, as a strike (Think he had a little over a season as a striker for Rochdale) - I am in no way advocating that done would have bashed in 20/25 goals, but to say his scores 1 in ten is just as laughable.

Back
Top Bottom