James Hanson

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Still strongly linked from the Bradford end. We don't need a new first choice striker with Sharp/Adams still at the club and Hanson would be a really good signing to add some depth and something different to our attack force, when needed. Dont buy the arguments about the poor style of play, we need to win games and sometimes it will have to be ugly, Hanson would sure help in that.

Would take him on a free or nominal fee basis, purely as the big man option. Its really disappointing not to be getting linked with young, hungry players with the potential for high resale values and/or the ability to go through the leagues. I think Hanson and Clarke would cost a pretty penny and be incapable of this.

i reckon Hanson would be a great signing 'at this level'. you can't play your way out of this league (sorry Pinchy. yes i have changed my mind on this) we've tried it. you have to bully your way out.
you get out. take stock and then get the players suited to the division you're playing in. just get better ones that anyone else. it's fucking easy.

He is the sort
Welcome aboard boys

_81313241_john_akinde.jpg
Akinde is the sort that would have the fans on their toe's on the Kop.

Hanson no thanks.

He is the sort

Akinde is the sort that would have the fans on their toe's on the Kop.

Hanson no thanks.

Definitely. I'm sure he'd score goals at this level but he'd do wonders for the players around him. In Sharp we have a clever poacher with great movement. A powerful striker who can take the other defenders out of the game will leave him with more space.

It's a wonder what a big man can do even if you're not playing direct. Remember in the home leg against Tottenham? We brought Higdon on and even though he's a feckless oaf they had to mark him and for the first goal he ties up the defenders leaving an acre for Adams to utilise.

I don't exactly want to see this kind of player signed.. But in this league, he's the kind of player we need.

That sums it up and my sentiments entirely . Same with that other chap Leon Clarke ! Whatever his name. Bit of a shit but knows we're the back of the net is , especially against us.

Needs must and horses for courses .

UTB

I think Hanson would be a good sensible signing for this level. Yes he's not particularly mobile but he is exactly the type of guy you bring on if you are hanging on; or if you are chasing a lead and you need to go more direct. Name me a better target man at this level?

It's pretty obvious we don't have anybody remotely like him in our squad right now.

Since we need to get nearly 10 players they are not all going to be marquee signings. Big Jim definitely a yes for me

There certainly seems to be something in this.

He'll be quite divisive if he signs because he's not a very good footballer and will be blamed by many for encouraging any hoofball we play - which we'll be sick of again after 3 months or so.

I'd hope that wouldn't be it for striker signings, but I think Hanson and Sharp would be fine as long as there was pace out wide and good balls regularly being put into the box.

If he is signing with a view to being first choice then we need to factor it in to any other signings we make - mainly in the wide positions. You wouldn't want a winger who cuts in all the time for example, and you'd want at least one full back who can put a good cross in. Having a set piece taker also becomes more important.

If Hanson does indeed sign he would be decent at this level. I agree that we have to bully our way out of this division and that has been our problem in recent seasons, too many small players. He is awkward and causes mayhem in the box at set pieces so he might very well be exactly what we need. I for one want us out of this god forsaken league as soon as possible.

So I guess the question is; is this a Chris Wilder signing? Was something already being talked about before NA walked and CW arrived? I assume if it is going ahead, CW has given it his blessing?

One thing is for sure, that "option for a third year", has to be our option, not his!

I'd like this signing if the rumors turn out to be true, decent player wins most of his battles in the air and provided we can get the service to him could be a good foil for Sharp!

I would rather play nyron nosworthy upfront than james hanson. Just a large weight upfront to lump the ball aimlessly up at. This tactic and style of football is more painful than an adkins post match interview.

i think we should be signing footballers not lumps
Why do you say that ,you seem to be the only one who cant see his ability at his level ,you do remember the level we are at ,and the shit tactics we have employed to get out of the division ,when more direct football is clearly the answer.

direct football is clearly the answer.

Assuming that "direct" is a euphemism for Bassett style crude, ugly Hoof then the question must be:

"What was found out and discredited decades ago, everywhere but S2?"

Assuming that "direct" is a euphemism for Bassett style crude, ugly Hoof then the question must be:

"What was found out and discredited decades ago, everywhere but S2?"

If we can play great football, and score loads of goals, like MK Dons did to get out of this league, then great, if we have to resort to the bruising tactics of SWFC or Preston North End, then great. The result has to be getting out of League One. Re-group once we are promoted, but get out at all costs.

If we can play great football, and score loads of goals, like MK Dons did to get out of this league, then great, if we have to resort to the bruising tactics of SWFC or Preston North End, then great. The result has to be getting out of League One. Re-group once we are promoted, but get out at all costs.

Norwich, Bournemouth, Bristol City, to name but three recent examples. All won the league by a mile and none played anything remotely like Dinosaur Dave's aimless long ball teams.

Of course you can play proper football in any league. History shows that conclusively. Only in S2 is that proposition questioned at all. Bassett has left a shameful legacy of misguided thinking, I'm sorry to say.

Norwich, Bournemouth, Bristol City, to name but three recent examples. All won the league by a mile and none played anything remotely like Dinosaur Dave's aimless long ball teams.

Of course you can play proper football in any league. History shows that conclusively. Only in S2 is that proposition questioned at all. Bassett has left a shameful legacy of misguided thinking, I'm sorry to say.

Which is why I said "...if we can play great football, and score loads of goals, like MK Dons did to get out of this league, then great...", but if playing a more direct game means we would be in the same position now as SWFC or Preston North End, I know which I would want.

As I have said on many other threads on here over the last couple of seasons, nothing against Port Vale, Scunthorpe, Oldham, Rochdale, etc., but I have been too many times to theses grounds in the last five years, spent too much money on tickets and travel, I want to be out of this league.

Reckon would be a good signing, I would love a return to direct football, not hoofball but a very physical team that play for the shirt, never shirk a challenge, put their bodies on the line to get the ball in the box. Getting the ball forward quickly, holding it up and bringing others into play. I think there is a difference between hoofing it upfield and getting it forward at pace and keeping it in their half.

With us apparently.... Although I'm not buying the £750k fee im being told. He's 28, and only has 1 year left on his contract.

All the Bradford fans are gutted that he might be leaving.

yeah surely not 750k with one year left the lads not worth that much.

Hanson would be an excellent signing at this level for us, and what we have been lacking up top for the last 2 or 3 seasons (bar the few weeks when we had O'Grady and Davis). As one other poster has said, if it's Sharp and Hanson up front then we do need fast wide players.

Add in a big dominant centre half and central midfield player with some bite, then we might start getting somewhere. Although with Wilder's cull we're going to need another 2 centre halves too, a left back and a back up left back, back up right-back, another midfield player, a decent right winger and a back up winger, and probably another striker, hopefully once he clears his name that'll be Super Ched.

I'd say the fact that when we have tried to play football we've done it with the wrong managers and the wrong players has had more of an impact on any of our fans thinking we can't be successful and play good football than Bassett's legacy.

You can obviously play your way out of League One but every team who have been successful recently have been good physically, and most have played quite directly at times.

Direct football still works if done correctly with the right players. For us Wednesday have to be the best example of that when they beat us to 2nd in 2012, and more recently Preston - who are doing well in the Championship as well.

We're in the business of 'not fannying about'.

This would definitely be a 'not fannying about' type signing!

United were direct under Bassett but very entertaining at this level. And won. A lot.

Back
Top Bottom