Wow..

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Canterbury Blade

Reaction score
For the first time in 32 years I went on John St today with 12 year old nephew.

I had the option of no queues at the turnstile and easy egress, getting a pint of Neck oil (still a ferocious £6.20), visiting a well laid out khazi when I wanted, sampling some chips with gravy, enjoying some pick n mix, visiting a mini club shop and best of all sampling Bruce Forsyth’s Play your cards right with players numbers. Will Osula 32. LOWER. Auston Trusty 5 HIGHER ETC

The whole experience (off the field) was far superior to that which I get on the South Stand. Will I swap next year, I doubt it, as mates, passion levels and atmosphere are better on H, but does make you think about where small improvements across the ground could make a huge difference to the fan ‘experience’

And yes, Play Your Cards Right in all parts of the ground with a decent prize is definitely the way forward.

I watched on my settee this morning. comfy as fuck and coffee was approx 10c per cup. Don't know why anyone bothers going to the stadiums anymore 😜.

P.S.
I miss being sat in the piss cold watching dem blades :(

I had the option of no queues at the turnstile and easy egress, getting a pint of Neck oil (still a ferocious £6.20), visiting a well laid out khazi when I wanted, sampling some chips with gravy, enjoying some pick n mix, visiting a mini club shop and best of all sampling Bruce Forsyth’s Play your cards right with players numbers. Will Osula 32. LOWER. Auston Trusty 5 HIGHER ETC

The whole experience (off the field) was far superior to that which I get on the South Stand. Will I swap next year, I doubt it, as mates, passion levels and atmosphere are better on H, but does make you think about where small improvements across the ground could make a huge difference to the fan ‘experience’

And yes, Play Your Cards Right in all parts of the ground with a decent prize is definitely the way forward.
yes the JSS is a lot better - funnily enough I took my kids on the Kop (my first time in 25 years probably). Great view from 2 rows behind and just to the side of the goal but I had forgotten just how cramped the seating is. Just have safe standing and be done with it!

I watched on my settee this morning. comfy as fuck and coffee was approx 10c per cup. Don't know why anyone bothers going to the stadiums anymore 😜.

P.S.
How’s life over there thin Paul?

I've a st on there with the daughter.

It's a good experience for kids....which are the future.

They've recently done the lighting up and it's much brighter..which helps with thr welcoming experience.

Still takes 4 hours to order a hot chocolate or a beer.

I'm in the John Street/Family Corner which you obviously access via the John Street and the facilities concourse wise make it so much easier taking youngsters.

My young lad loves playing that card game, and the United staff that do it are great with the kids, a real asset to the club - add the pick and mix and Blades Family Hub in and at this time of our Blades journey it's a great package and overall experience for the next generation.

I was on John Street yesterday with the corner being closed, and while the view was great my lad will be glad to be back in the safety of the corner... not anything JSS related, he's just got a very strong and equally strange phobia of hand dryers (I need to Speakmans to cure him) and the toilets in the corner don't have them!

he's just got a very strong and equally strange phobia of hand dryers (I need to Speakmans to cure him) and the toilets in the corner don't have them!
That's not a strange phobia, kids' ears are sensitive to high pitches and hand dryers are high and loud. Balham Jnr Snr hated them until about 3 months ago (he's 7 in March), Jnr Jnr still hates them (he was 4 last week)

I'm in the John Street/Family Corner which you obviously access via the John Street and the facilities concourse wise make it so much easier taking youngsters.

My young lad loves playing that card game, and the United staff that do it are great with the kids, a real asset to the club - add the pick and mix and Blades Family Hub in and at this time of our Blades journey it's a great package and overall experience for the next generation.

I was on John Street yesterday with the corner being closed, and while the view was great my lad will be glad to be back in the safety of the corner... not anything JSS related, he's just got a very strong and equally strange phobia of hand dryers (I need to Speakmans to cure him) and the toilets in the corner don't have them!
Hats off, ive never heard of anyone wanting to sit in library corner before, how is it in there?
It's the only place in the ground I've never sat, or wanted to sit, and I've only spoken to 1 person that has, he said it was OK, but theres a wall in the way and he couldn't see the corner under the screen where he was sat??

That's not a strange phobia, kids' ears are sensitive to high pitches and hand dryers are high and loud. Balham Jnr Snr hated them until about 3 months ago (he's 7 in March), Jnr Jnr still hates them (he was 4 last week)
It's one of those things I'd never noticed prior to this crazy parenthood journey, my first born daughter didn't have the same hatred towards them, so I was completely under prepared for my lads bouts of hysteria upon a toilet break occurring!

Seemingly more common than I'd imagined - I'll cut the boy some slack in future until he's over it.... any tips?!

Hats off, ive never heard of anyone wanting to sit in library corner before, how is it in there?
It's the only place in the ground I've never sat, or wanted to sit, and I've only spoken to 1 person that has, he said it was OK, but theres a wall in the way and he couldn't see the corner under the screen where he was sat??
It's really good in there, and when renewal time comes I'll have no qualms in staying in there next season (I'd like to get a bit lower down into the front block of seats though if possible).

Only time I'd ever been in previously to this season was the WBA "Battle Of Bramall Lane" - think it had pretty much only just been built back then

Lots of restricted view seats, and by the sounds of it your mate was in one where the John Street Wall seriously hampers the view of the top right corner flag - wouldn't advise those seats.

If you can get anywhere down the middle of the stand, the view is superb - my 2 seats are technically RV, but only just - the seat next to me isn't, and the view is absolutely brilliant.

I've said on a previous thread that the stand looks a complete mess when viewed from any other stand in the ground, but when you're in it it's spot on!

Add paper towels and the absence of any electrical powered air based drying appliances and you're onto a winner!

It's really good in there, and when renewal time comes I'll have no qualms in staying in there next season (I'd like to get a bit lower down into the front block of seats though if possible).

Only time I'd ever been in previously to this season was the WBA "Battle Of Bramall Lane" - think it had pretty much only just been built back then

Lots of restricted view seats, and by the sounds of it your mate was in one where the John Street Wall seriously hampers the view of the top right corner flag - wouldn't advise those seats.

If you can get anywhere down the middle of the stand, the view is superb - my 2 seats are technically RV, but only just - the seat next to me isn't, and the view is absolutely brilliant.

I've said on a previous thread that the stand looks a complete mess when viewed from any other stand in the ground, but when you're in it it's spot on!

Add paper towels and the absence of any electrical powered air based drying appliances and you're onto a winner!
Used to be the Pukka Pie corner years back, now everyone refers to it as library corner, but glad you enjoy it, got to be better than the kop.

P.S.
Birdwell Blade is he trying to convince us that the GTA is warmer then downtown Bramall Lane! :D

What's impressive about the JSS is how the leg room diminishes as you get closer to the Kop

I think we might have just unearthed a new Channel 5 Documentary here guys....
I had to run her through an airport, kicking and screaming because she was making herself poorly by not going. Once in I had to stand by the switch not letting anyone else use them until she’d done.

I don't have a phobia of them but I never use them. I can't imagine the filters are changed or cleaned, so the thought of thousands of people's poo particles being blown on to my wet hands to form a poo paste isn't all that appealing 🤮

We went also rotated positions, from the kop to SS.
We got well positioned seats, middle , middle kop side, so the view was very good.
However, I didn't think was seating felt noticeably better and I'm 6ft.
Bogs were just as busy, maybe because of the SS demographic, so 90% in the bogs at HT.
Very quiet though, apart from grumbling. I'll stick where I am.

I don't have a phobia of them but I never use them. I can't imagine the filters are changed or cleaned, so the thought of thousands of people's poo particles being blown on to my wet hands to form a poo paste isn't all that appealing 🤮
You do have a phobia.😉

I had to run her through an airport, kicking and screaming because she was making herself poorly by not going. Once in I had to stand by the switch not letting anyone else use them until she’d done.
It's unbelievable how much I can relate to those scenarios - I'm glad in a way that this isn't an isolated incident and the fear is more widespread in the poor kids (I'm aware how crazy that sounds).

Earlier in the season we went straight into JSS toilets as I couldn't wait to get to the Corner ones..... my lad started shouting "HE'S GOING TO USE IT, HE'S GOING TO USE IT!" Poor bloke minding how own business didn't know what to do!

When she wakes up, I’ll ask her what her current view is!

The worst ones were those that go off as you walk past them, total freak out!
I've just laughed out loud at this, we are getting into the nooks and crannies of the specific types now - those spontaneous ones are an utter nightmare.

Need to find one of those old school ones with hardly any puff left in them and start him on those with some headphones on - the type from years ago where your hands come out wetter than when they went under.

Few away games I've been to over the years seem to have better facilities than ours (apart from millwall which just edges it over the kop as the kiosk isn't out in the elements) although don't know what our away end offers. In general we have very dated facilities on the Kop and SS for 2024 IMO.

I've just laughed out loud at this, we are getting into the nooks and crannies of the specific types now - those spontaneous ones are an utter nightmare.

Need to find one of those old school ones with hardly any puff left in them and start him on those with some headphones on - the type from years ago where your hands come out wetter than when they went under.

Old school with very little puff in them? That's about 20% of the Kop there.

You must sit very close to me! We like it in there, ideal for my lad especially when he was younger and not keen on fking and blinding and people screaming right behind his ears (we moved over from the SS when he was young). I aways sat in the south til he started going.

Back
Top Bottom