Wilders Payoff

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

His representatives negotiated a pay off in line with the employment contract given to him by the Prince. It may seem bizarre and unfair you get paid off for failure but that is how football works.

He'll be the lowest or second lowest paid manager in the league and on less than several in the championship.

This time we'll have clauses to get rid for next to nothing given the power switch in the relationship so we'll not have to worry about big pay offs this time round.

The contract situation played out. Wilder took what he could negotiate whether we like it or not. Time to move on. I'm more concerned about who is playing left back tonight.

I would guess that when a manager leaves either of his own accord or is sacked there is some sort of payoff by agreement. Wilder will have received something and I bet Hecky and Slave did or will. Of course, If you are in breach of contract you might walk away with nowt. For instance, If you were to be sacked for gross misconduct. I think it would be a nightmare trying to sack someone for underperformance in football. So Hecky could have negotiated an amount based on what was left of his contract. Was it 3 years left? At the end of the day, myself and everyone else have not seen any contracts. So we are simply guessing.

I was going to stay away from the Liverpool game if things didn’t change in the dug out. Yes, I got my wish, but can the appointment of CW be really seen as change?

Not quite true. Payoffs occur in cases of resignation to avoid a claim for constructive dismissal. Payoffs are also made to buy someone’s silence, i.e. under a NDA. All wrapped up under a Settlement Agreement to allow both parties to draw a line under it with no subsequent claims or mudslinging.
NDA will have been agreed in a standard contract as is normal practice particularly in the footballing world.

Hence if you want the party to agree too the silence you must make the payments stipulated. Hence why Wilder got his money and he stayed silent.

Unless you’re suggesting he resigns with full money and an NDA. Then he basically runs the football club and should be down as owner.

There may well have been some sort of settlement agreed, especially if there was a non disclosure agreement in place.

The £4m payoff being quoted came from this interview though, and has been twisted over time by those that want to stick the knife in to Wilder, despite the Prince literally saying he did not and would not pay it. Wilder did have the cheek to ask for it though

I think it would be a nightmare trying to sack someone for underperformance in football.

If you were wanting to get an early break, I would have thought it would be moderately easy to put a clause in saying something like "if the Employee fails to get 15 points within 15 games then the Club reserves the right to terminate this contract with no further compensation payable", however:

a) It would be a nightmare to cover all eventualities and contingencies - we were into season three of Hecky, if you were to have something like "in the eventuality of promotion at the end of season two and we concede five to a fellow promoted club it's P45 time" for all possibilities that haven't already hit a break clause then it becomes an unreadable mess
b) The LMA and its members probably have some sort of unwritten rule not to sign any contract that tries to actually narrow down to some sort of easily measurable KPIs that'd stand up in court, only limiting what someone would agree to sign to subjective nonsense that would result in messy arguing the toss and hence everything comes down to some sort of mutual consent

His representatives negotiated a pay off in line with the employment contract given to him by the Prince. It may seem bizarre and unfair you get paid off for failure but that is how football works.

He'll be the lowest or second lowest paid manager in the league and on less than several in the championship.

This time we'll have clauses to get rid for next to nothing given the power switch in the relationship so we'll not have to worry about big pay offs this time round.

The contract situation played out. Wilder took what he could negotiate whether we like it or not. Time to move on. I'm more concerned about who is playing left back tonight.
I wouldn’t be so sure. I would be sitting there thinking these guys are absolutly screwed. No one really wants this job.

I would have thought it would have been fairly equal. Especially with Sunderland / Swansea jobs coming up.

NDA will have been agreed in a standard contract as is normal practice particularly in the footballing world.

Hence if you want the party to agree too the silence you must make the payments stipulated. Hence why Wilder got his money and he stayed silent.

Unless you’re suggesting he resigns with full money and an NDA. Then he basically runs the football club and should be down as owner.

“Then he basically runs the football club and should be down as owner.”

Eh?

I really think threads like this tell the true story. i.e. The truth is that nobody knows the truth. Everyone in here seemingly thinks/believes something different.

Also, this topic is only relevant if you're keen on holding a grudge (I think?). The Prince doesn't seem to hold a grudge - I know he's not a lifelong Blade - but he wouldn't have rehired CW if he'd been a total wanker and taken loads of money he wasn't owed, or whatever he's accused of.

It’s taken years and most on here don’t understand it still.

Though many still assume that a players wages are included in the 'purchase' price.

Or that 20,000 season tickets sold at £ 400 each, giving the club £ 8million, means that the club can then go out and spend tens of millions on new players.

The Prince said Wilder asked for £4m, and he told him to swivel.

If you go back to PA interview shortly after Wilder left he explains what happened. There is mention of a mutually agreed sum but not the amount bandied about. The "£4 million" at the time was pure forum speculation. I remember reading it on here someone commented if Wilder had 36 months left on his contract and he was on £100k a month 36 x £100k was £3.6million it was pure guesswork and thats where this figure on the forum at least came from.

Don't get this "pay off" stuff. If Wilder was sacked he gets a pay off (much as Hecky will). However Wilder left of his own accord so surely no pay off. That's how the real world works (ish) but I suppose this is football.

Wilder left by mutual consent according to PA so there will have been some negotiation over what was owed. PA didnt want Wilder to leave. We will never know what actually happened.

I really think threads like this tell the true story. i.e. The truth is that nobody knows the truth. Everyone in here seemingly thinks/believes something different.

Also, this topic is only relevant if you're keen on holding a grudge (I think?). The Prince doesn't seem to hold a grudge - I know he's not a lifelong Blade - but he wouldn't have rehired CW if he'd been a total wanker and taken loads of money he wasn't owed, or whatever he's accused of.

There’s a largish number of people posting about his last contract who clearly know nothing about contracts and contract law. Similarly if there is more than one person on here who has any idea of the contents of that contract l’d be amazed. I’d be pretty surprised if there is one tbh.

CW’s representatives apparently asked for x amount, the Prince apparently said not a chance. That’s all we know. Everything else is generally agenda - pro or anti - driven speculation months on.

If you go back to PA interview shortly after Wilder left he explains what happened. There is mention of a mutually agreed sum but not the amount bandied about. The "£4 million" at the time was pure forum speculation. I remember reading it on here someone commented if Wilder had 36 months left on his contract and he was on £100k a month 36 x £100k was £3.6million it was pure guesswork and thats where this figure on the forum at least came from.

Wilder left by mutual consent according to PA so there will have been some negotiation over what was owed. PA didnt want Wilder to leave. We will never know what actually happened.

Guesswork by someone thinking Wilder was on £100k a month, to make it fit. which PA suggests is well wide of the mark.

From the actions of most managers I think most get paid monthly until the end of their contract or until they take a new job. I don't think they are paid a lump sum. We would therefore of been paying Wilder until he took the Middlesborough job.

I would guess that when a manager leaves either of his own accord or is sacked there is some sort of payoff by agreement. Wilder will have received something and I bet Hecky and Slave did or will. Of course, If you are in breach of contract you might walk away with nowt. For instance, If you were to be sacked for gross misconduct. I think it would be a nightmare trying to sack someone for underperformance in football. So Hecky could have negotiated an amount based on what was left of his contract. Was it 3 years left? At the end of the day, myself and everyone else have not seen any contracts. So we are simply guessing.

The first thing to bear in mind, having seen a handful of player contracts in my time, although a while ago, is that they aren’t simple contracts. As l’m sure Addison and Nick Jansky can attest, these will be multi page documents.

From the actions of most managers I think most get paid monthly until the end of their contract or until they take a new job. I don't think they are paid a lump sum. We would therefore of been paying Wilder until he took the Middlesborough job.

All dependent on the wording.

PA's refusal to accept his resignation could have been leverage to reduce the payout if wilder wanted to go.

He got the pay off that he was entitled to due to the T&C's in his contract. I've never seen the issue with this. Just write better contracts

Guesswork by someone thinking Wilder was on £100k a month, to make it fit. which PA suggests is well wide of the mark.
In the Sky interview above, PA says that Wilder was the highest paid player in the club’s history and also mentions that we were paying a player £50k. That would mean Wilder being on at least £2.5 million a year.

I think PA also says in the interview that when Wilder asked for £4 million that as he’d resigned, why would they pay him almost a year’s salary to go?

As others have said, I suppose none of us know, so we can speculate away to our hearts’ content 🙂

Does anyone know the length of Wilder's contract because I thought it was 18 months but football insider saying this morning it's till end of the season with an option of another season?
It seems that the favourite option is to choose whichever one you dislike most, then moan about it at every opportunity 😉

Example footballer contract - The name listed as 'player' is University professor, member of the FIFA Dispute Resolution Chamber and a lot of other things

Thats an old one. They have updated since to cover changes in Law such as retirement age had to be taken out. There is an updated version on the Premier League website alongside their rules and regulations.

Thats an old one. They have updated since to cover changes in Law such as retirement age had to be taken out. There is an updated version on the Premier League website alongside their rules and regulations.
Thanks, I just searched Google and thought that was a reasonable source. At least it gives an indication of the complexities involved

Yes but now Pandoras Contract has been opened there will be people flipping through it and becoming experts overnight. :)

Surely you can't someone get a new job if you've sacked them.
Not that you stop them but that if they did, the pay out would cease. Obvs if they just gave them a lump this doesn't apply but often the contract just continues while the recipient gets really good at gardening.

Not entirely where they get their info from but on a related topic. But Jose Mourinho has been paid a total of £93.5 Million for being sacked
https://www.sportbible.com/football...otal-of-935-million-for-his-sackings-20210419

Jose Mourinho money earned after sackings... - 2007 Chelsea: £18m - 2012 Real Madrid: £17m - 2015 Chelsea: £12.5m - 2019 Man Utd: £15m - 2021 Tottenham: £30m

There will be some not quite accurate info in there i am sure but there are definite payoffs obviously Wilder no where near this extreme.

Two things I could not give a fleas foreskin about:

1. Wilders payoff
2. Wilder leaving ‘through the back door’

Back
Top Bottom