Wilder - Realistic Expectations

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Deadly_D'Jaffo

Reaction score
Since Tufty has come in he hasn't put a foot wrong with what he has said or done. However the excitement that has been stirred by his no-bollocks approach inherently brings expectation which we need to be realistic about.

He has a huge task of bringing in 2/3's of a new squad in, under a constrained budget from previous Managers, gelling them together & also managing the dogshite he has inherited. I will not be surprised if things do not click as immediately as we fans would want or expect it to.

As long as we see something during the games to get us out of our seats (winning 50/50 challenges, still being fit enough to last the final 20 mins, players wanting the ball, high tempo etc) I will be happy.

What are your expectations next season?

Promotion.
Always promotion, while ever we're in this league.

Thems the rules.
Oi. Where is the monkey bro? It's served you well on here and on BM I feel like you're being disloyal.

The monkey has presided over several years of disappointment so I'm trying something new.

I'm also changing my match day lucky underwear.
If you say you're going to stop arguing with Barney I'm smashing the lot up!

Promotion....is the expectation...still I wouldn't sack him if we don't achieve that...well, unless it goes all 'Weir-Shaped'...

Promotion secondary. Serious improvement as a club primary.

Put all your eggs in the "promotion at all costs" basket & disaster ensues, as managers from Danny Wilson onwards have found.

If you ask me, Chris has started exactly the right way. Tapping into the club's heart and soul. Folks might just become a wee bit more forgiving then if success doesn't come about immediately.

Even so, without promotion, there'd have to be serious improvement from last season's debacle - in style of play, resilience, fight, character, genuine togetherness, building the squad, league position...

Put all your eggs in the "promotion at all costs" basket & disaster ensues, as managers from Danny Wilson onwards have found.

If you ask me, Chris has started exactly the right way. Tapping into the club's heart and soul. Folks might just become a wee bit more forgiving then if success doesn't come about immediately.

Even so, without promotion, there'd have to be serious improvement from last season's debacle - in style of play, resilience, fight, character, genuine togetherness, building the squad, league position...

Pigs, Charlton, Wigan prove that with the right clear out and the right recruitment there's no reason why you can't do both.

Since Tufty has come in he hasn't put a foot wrong with what he has said or done. However the excitement that has been stirred by his no-bollocks approach inherently brings expectation which we need to be realistic about.

He has a huge task of bringing in 2/3's of a new squad in, under a constrained budget from previous Managers, gelling them together & also managing the dogshite he has inherited. I will not be surprised if things do not click as immediately as we fans would want or expect it to.

As long as we see something during the games to get us out of our seats (winning 50/50 challenges, still being fit enough to last the final 20 mins, players wanting the ball, high tempo etc) I will be happy.

What are your expectations next season?

One thing I hope we do, is start closing people down faster, we have been terrible for a few seasons of giving players acres of space, and then that sort of silly "backwards shuffle", as a player runs at you, until finally he is in our box and we are in danger of giving away a goal or a penalty.

I am sure Mister Wilder will have the lads absolutely running at players and being in their face as soon as they receive the ball.

As always, the Jury is out, until we see a game or two, but I am more hopeful than ever, that we can dust off, ready for new use, that old phrase, "The Battling Blades".

Ny expectations are promotion, I dont see the teams coming down as an issue. Charlton/Bolton are in dire straights. MKDons should be decent but nothing special (standard L1 MK), Millwall and Bradford I expect to be good too but nothing special. So no reason to not expect us to have a good season.

That being said if we missed out on promotion but could see that we were progressing and moving in the right direction I would certainly not be shouting for us to sack the manager. A minimal expectation is exciting football going off the two signings so far, no reason to not go after teams and defend from the front.

Pigs, Charlton, Wigan prove that with the right clear out and the right recruitment there's no reason why you can't do both.

Exactly. Just that promotion shouldn't be the be all & end all, not in our current circumstances.

If we improve in all of those areas we should be challenging for promotion. And if we're not challenging for promotion, it's because we won't have improved in all those areas. I don't think you can have one without the other.

Ny expectations are promotion, I dont see the teams coming down as an issue. Charlton/Bolton are in dire straights. MKDons should be decent but nothing special (standard L1 MK), Millwall and Bradford I expect to be good too but nothing special. So no reason to not expect us to have a good season.

That being said if we missed out on promotion but could see that we were progressing and moving in the right direction I would certainly not be shouting for us to sack the manager. A minimal expectation is exciting football going off the two signings so far, no reason to not go after teams and defend from the front.
Neither Bolton nor Charlton are in dire straits really. Bolton have been taken over and have cleared most of their debt. Charlton have an owner who the supporters hate and who makes questionable decisions but I think they're financially stable.

I half-agree with you, in that they probably won't be another 'Wolves' but I do think that if they appoint the right managers, they will challenge.

If he can cut McNulty down to two nights out a week I'll be delighted!

Neither Bolton nor Charlton are in dire straits really. Bolton have been taken over and have cleared most of their debt. Charlton have an owner who the supporters hate and who makes questionable decisions but I think they're financially stable.

I half-agree with you, in that they probably won't be another 'Wolves' but I do think that if they appoint the right managers, they will challenge.

Reading both sets of fans views they expect a mid-table finish at best. Didn't know Bolton were now on former soil, their fans certainly dont give that impression.

Not sure on Boltons manager front, seen Guggs mentioned today (big gamble if true) but Charlton are making a huge balls up of appointing their new manager, not a well run club I'd expect to challenge.

Back
Top Bottom