Wilder lays the curse to bed

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Pedro Verde

Reaction score
Following on from us reaching 40 points the total most people would say is enough for safety. Wilder is the first manager in over 50 years to lay the 13 year relegation curse to bed
1968, 1981, 1994, 2007 all years that ended with us being relegated

Following on from us reaching 40 points the total most people would say is enough for safety. Wilder is the first manager in over 50 years to lay the 13 year relegation curse to bed
What is the 13 year relegation curse? I've been following united since 86 and we have had at least 4 relegation and 5 promotions

You’ve overlooked the great relegation side of 1933-34 season! ;)

It is based on win the last game of the season and we stay up; we don't, and we go down.
Variant this year will be win the last game of the season and we are in Europe; we don't and we aren't.

We also got relegated during other years in between, but what made the 13 year curse so bad was that it was always an excruciating last day relegation and was always in circumstances where we should have survived.

In fact it was usually more difficult to get relegated than stay up!

Having none of it, me.
We get relegated only during seasons when I've watched from BLUT, haven't sat there since last any relegation.
Wilder out!

I thought this thread may have been about taking us into Europe.

So where do the relegation seasons of 1979 and 1988 fit into this conspiracy theory?

So where do the relegation seasons of 1979 and 1988 fit into this conspiracy theory?
The conspiracy is that winning the last game of the season keeps us out of relegation, and every 13 years (1968, 1981,1994, 2007) we have failed to win that game, and got relegated. The other relegations are 'normal', not part of the conspiracy. I have no belief in the supernatural whatsoever, but I confess that one reason I felt good about promotion last year is that 'the curse' would only take us back down to the Championship, not to League 1. Assuming that our 40 points is now enough, this can only add to the legendary status of Wilder.

The conspiracy is that winning the last game of the season keeps us out of relegation, and every 13 years (1968, 1981,1994, 2007) we have failed to win that game, and got relegated. The other relegations are 'normal', not part of the conspiracy. I have no belief in the supernatural whatsoever, but I confess that one reason I felt good about promotion last year is that 'the curse' would only take us back down to the Championship, not to League 1. Assuming that our 40 points is now enough, this can only add to the legendary status of Wilder.

Exactly what I said to my mate last season that we had better get promoted to the Prem otherwise we would end up back in League One:)

Add in 2011 and they are all classed as bonus seasons in case any of us were suffering from relegation withdrawal syndrome.
Too true. If we don't get relegated again, we will never be able to celebrate promotion again. Perhaps in line with modern management-speak, we could re-badge 'relegation' as 'promotion opportunity'. Or did Wednesday get there first with the 'Premier League Return Ticket'?

What an incredible co-incidence.
Those are the exact same years that my Mrs didn't have a headache for a few minutes.
If you tell me you have 4 kids I'll be impressed. But that's a 39 year period, no pun intended, so your missus must have started early and finished late. In fact I've alarmed myself now lol :D

Well now you’ve fucking done it. Thirty thousand superstitious Blades are sacrificing animals (and vegan offerings) to the football gods It's like a scene from Apocalypto.
Summat‘ll appen nah tha can bet. Points deduction cus Wilder took the piss ah tut Pork I reckon.

Not quite true. In 1981 and 2007 at the start of play, a draw would have been good enough to keep us up. As it turned out, it would also have been good enough in 1994, but we didn't know that until the matches had been played.

I don't think anyone has ever suggested that the 13 year hitch was any form of conspiracy. And it has always been accepted that there have been other relegations in between, but these have been at more random intervals.

However it is an inescapable fact that since 1968, every thirteenth year we have been relegated. The thirteen year relegations have always been last day of the season relegations and pretty excruciating. The 1968 relegation apart, we have stared the day outside of the relegation places and the odds have been heavily in our favour for staying up. Even in 1968 we should have stayed up. It took 4 defeats in our last 5 games to relegate us, including throwing away a two goal lead at home to already relegated Fulham and losing on the last day after being a goal up at home to Chelsea.

Not quite true. In 1981 and 2007 at the start of play, a draw would have been good enough to keep us up. As it turned out, it would also have been good enough in 1994, but we didn't know that until the matches had been played.

I don't think anyone has ever suggested that the 13 year hitch was any form of conspiracy. And it has always been accepted that there have been other relegations in between, but these have been at more random intervals.

However it is an inescapable fact that since 1968, every thirteenth year we have been relegated. The thirteen year relegations have always been last day of the season relegations and pretty excruciating. The 1968 relegation apart, we have stared the day outside of the relegation places and the odds have been heavily in our favour for staying up. Even in 1968 we should have stayed up. It took 4 defeats in our last 5 games to relegate us, including throwing away a two goal lead at home to already relegated Fulham and losing on the last day after being a goal up at home to Chelsea.
I was trying to keep it simple, as in all cases a win would have kept us up. But you are right, of course.

Too early! I wish you’d have waited until we are mathematically safe.
not even a mathematician would base it on numbers alone, theres 110 games left with 20 teams of differing strengths as variables

such as west ham winning at Liverpool , very possible on paper but the grass offers a far different variable

Summat‘ll appen nah tha can bet. Points deduction cus Wilder took the piss ah tut Pork I reckon.
Coronavirus causes leagues to be abandoned and all monies to be returned to Sky. Leagues to be decided for next season by an FA cup type draw, were last out of the bag and finish up in the third division. 😒

Anyone like to speculate what's going to happen on Sunday? I'm assuming it's something along the lines of...

In the 63rd minute, with the score at 2-1 to United, Danny Ings is through on goal. Incredibly, Richairo Zivkovic manages to sprint 80 yards and get back to make the tackle. The referee's assistant flags for an infringement, but the referee waves play on. After three minutes of further play, Fleck miscontrols a pass and the ball rolls out of play. The referee signals that a VAR review will take place for the potential foul by Zivkovic. Whilst watching the replays, one of the VAR officials notices that, in the background, Alan Knill is speaking on a phone. A lipreader is consulted and, although it first appears that Knill might be saying "That Richairo's swift - he's brilliant. To cover ground that fast...", the lipreader concludes that it was, in fact "...to a bloke in Cairo for sixty million. Sell the ground in the past". After an excruciating four minute wait, the scoreboard reveals: "VAR DECISION: FINANCIAL MISMANAGEMENT - 20 POINT DEDUCTION, AND PENALTY KICK".

Zivkovic is red carded. Ings scores the penalty. Watford and Villa both score soft last minute winners (bizarrely, Hans Segers is playing in goal for both Arsenal and West Ham) and United are relegated.

Before anyone points out how unlikely this is, I know, I know: Fleck would never miscontrol a pass.

At lest we're not playing Chelsea on the last day of the season.

At lest we're not playing Chelsea on the last day of the season.

We started this Premier league stage of our journey down on the south coast. And that's where we'll finish it.

Need to better the result we got at Dean Court (Bournemouth in old money).

Anyone like to speculate what's going to happen on Sunday? I'm assuming it's something along the lines of...

In the 63rd minute, with the score at 2-1 to United, Danny Ings is through on goal. Incredibly, Richairo Zivkovic manages to sprint 80 yards and get back to make the tackle. The referee's assistant flags for an infringement, but the referee waves play on. After three minutes of further play, Fleck miscontrols a pass and the ball rolls out of play. The referee signals that a VAR review will take place for the potential foul by Zivkovic. Whilst watching the replays, one of the VAR officials notices that, in the background, Alan Knill is speaking on a phone. A lipreader is consulted and, although it first appears that Knill might be saying "That Richairo's swift - he's brilliant. To cover ground that fast...", the lipreader concludes that it was, in fact "...to a bloke in Cairo for sixty million. Sell the ground in the past". After an excruciating four minute wait, the scoreboard reveals: "VAR DECISION: FINANCIAL MISMANAGEMENT - 20 POINT DEDUCTION, AND PENALTY KICK AND WEDNESDAY TOOK 3000 TO QPR POINTS ADDITION TO THEM OF +90".

Zivkovic is red carded. Ings scores the penalty. Watford and Villa both score soft last minute winners (bizarrely, Hans Segers is playing in goal for both Arsenal and West Ham) and United are relegated.

Before anyone points out how unlikely this is, I know, I know: Fleck would never miscontrol a pass.
The corrected version.
😭

Back
Top Bottom