Wilder annoyed at transfer-listed players who won’t leave

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I'm not ITK however my pal has been doing some work for Jake Wright recently. Supposedly he returned for pre-season training and had the name from his locker removed without any warning. He spoke really highly of Wilder, but said their relationship has completely broken down now. Wilder made Knill tell him he wasn't going to Portugal 3 days before they left, obviously Wright must have thought he would be going.

Wrights attitude now is to just pick a wage up rather than look for spell away. Not sure if any of you listen to UndrTheCosh but Kilgallon makes reference to a similar experience playing under Steve Bruce, he said initially it was great being paid well to do nothing however after several continuous weeks he hated it.

I have to query Wrights attitude, he's 33 and pretty much accepting money over football in his final years.

JW has a lovely house, a young family, is an active & valued member of his local community and has never let United down when called upon. I thought that he was unfortunate not to feature a lot more regularly in our first Championship season. At 33 he is probably between 8 and 20 months away from retiring, and thereafter hopefully a good 50 years on a seriously reduced income. He has the vast majority of his career at the lower levels, and is under contract with a Premier League club. He was given the contract which at the time would've been acceptable to United, and he is quite entitled to see that contract out. I don't query his attitude one iota.

I'm not ITK however my pal has been doing some work for Jake Wright recently. Supposedly he returned for pre-season training and had the name from his locker removed without any warning. He spoke really highly of Wilder, but said their relationship has completely broken down now. Wilder made Knill tell him he wasn't going to Portugal 3 days before they left, obviously Wright must have thought he would be going.

Wrights attitude now is to just pick a wage up rather than look for spell away. Not sure if any of you listen to UndrTheCosh but Kilgallon makes reference to a similar experience playing under Steve Bruce, he said initially it was great being paid well to do nothing however after several continuous weeks he hated it.

I have to query Wrights attitude, he's 33 and pretty much accepting money over football in his final years.
At 33 he needs to keep playing or he will be one of the forgotten men at the end of the season, unless of course he does a Hammond and is happy to pick up a wage and then retire.
Hammond paid the price ! when he tried to pick up his career in the lower divisions he found he couldnt do it.
Sure Wright and Clark if he's one could end up the same way, when players are in there mid 30 is continuity is vital.
Wilder probably sees the bigger picture ! don't think he's the type to avoid paying what players are entitled too.
He has a club to run and non playing players just get in the way.
Wilder great believer in team spirit and calls it how it is these players as he says are not doing there career prospects any good.

JW has a lovely house, a young family, is an active & valued member of his local community and has never let United down when called upon. I thought that he was unfortunate not to feature a lot more regularly in our first Championship season. At 33 he is probably between 8 and 20 months away from retiring, and thereafter hopefully a good 50 years on a seriously reduced income. He has the vast majority of his career at the lower levels, and is under contract with a Premier League club. He was given the contract which at the time would've been acceptable to United, and he is quite entitled to see that contract out. I don't query his attitude one iota.
I'm certainly not saying he's ever let us down or questioning his commitment in the past, I love the way he plays and was a big reason behind our promotion to the Championship but why not pursue a loan move at this stage of his career?

He's still going to pick up his full wage, partial payment by both teams probably United picking up the majority and above all else he's going to play football. That's what he's good at and that's what he should be doing in his final 2/3 years of his career.

No, I've studied sociology and peer reviewed studies show that money and happiness correlate as people are lifted out of poverty; after that, richer people are no happier. These players have earned more than enough and will have fantastic pensions well above the necessary level.
Jake Wright's missus has read those studies too, she wanted to know if she'll still be able to go to Barbados every year.

I have too, but I think it would be a stretch to imagine that results published in academic journals will have any real world influence over a professional footballers career decisions. What is far more likely (and understandable, I think) is that 'happiness' as such will not be forefront of their minds, but the fact that (for some of them) retirement is not too far away and they want to maximise the money they make from the game in the time they have left. It's possible to accept the findings in such studies but also appreciate that it doesn't translate to people's conscious choices and decisions in the real world which is the issue at hand here.

Again, having a 'fantastic pension well above the necessary level' could well be true (though is still an assumption), but in the face of a potential 50%+ pay decrease, I'm not sure how much of a comfort that would be. For some maybe, but we're talking about players here who haven't had top level careers. The contracts they are on now at United will likely be beyond what they could have imagined or anticipated just a couple of years ago and I could entirely understand them thinking 'I'm not chucking this away without a good pay off'.
Not sure I'm being clear. I agree people don't actively think in the terms I'm describing, but I think they accurately determine what we end up feeling. I'm criticising the players for their decisions as I think they will ultimately end up having a negative impact on them.

In regards to the pension, I completely agree and understand that what you say is likely what they are thinking, I just disagree. Surely using your incredibly sought after talent to play for your last few years is worth more than moving up to a higher wealth bracket, which studies suggest doesn't translate into well being.

JW failed a medical at Scunthorpe in January so I understand. Are people suggesting he failed it on purpose ?
He lives local, owns a house, his kids are at school locally and I think his wife works locally also. For his families stability he can really only take a loan move to a club that is commutable from where he lives. I also understand that he thought he was travelling to Portugal until just before the squad departed. I imagine that he wants to go play football elsewhere but will not accept a single penny reduction in wages, and who can blame him. I think what wilder has said was targeted at JW and for that I think JW has been let down. If I was him I'd work bloody hard on my fitness and keep taking my contracted wage between now and January and tell my agent to get out there and find me a local club to move to in the JTW, either on loan or permanently. I don't see what he's done wrong.

JW failed a medical at Scunthorpe in January so I understand. Are people suggesting he failed it on purpose ?
He lives local, owns a house, his kids are at school locally and I think his wife works locally also. For his families stability he can really only take a loan move to a club that is commutable from where he lives. I also understand that he thought he was travelling to Portugal until just before the squad departed. I imagine that he wants to go play football elsewhere but will not accept a single penny reduction in wages, and who can blame him. I think what wilder has said was targeted at JW and for that I think JW has been let down. If I was him I'd work bloody hard on my fitness and keep taking my contracted wage between now and January and tell my agent to get out there and find me a local club to move to in the JTW, either on loan or permanently. I don't see what he's done wrong.

I agree with the majority of what you've said there, however why would Wilder show his frustration publicly if there's not more to it. United have looked after JW very well, he's also performed well during his time with us.

If it was me I'd want to be playing football in my final years, he's going to get his wage regardless it will just be shared over an agreed percentage between the clubs. Wilder doesn't want him around anymore he likes to deal with a smallish group and its not fair making a decent professional train with the reserves.

What tactics/ gameplay can he possibly include him in? He's our fourth choice CB. It's better for all that he moves on and the player has to take ownership of that at this stage of his career.

That's so sad to hear and if true it's very surprising too. Wilder did say hes ' disappointed with one or two I've looked after in the past'.

Pressures rise the higher you climb but I'm confident Wilder will not lose sight of his roots and the straight S2 way

I agree with the majority of what you've said there, however why would Wilder show his frustration publicly if there's not more to it. United have looked after JW very well, he's also performed well during his time with us.

If it was me I'd want to be playing football in my final years, he's going to get his wage regardless it will just be shared over an agreed percentage between the clubs. Wilder doesn't want him around anymore he likes to deal with a smallish group and its not fair making a decent professional train with the reserves.

What tactics/ gameplay can he possibly include him in? He's our fourth choice CB. It's better for all that he moves on and the player has to take ownership of that at this stage of his career.

It's his choice though. The key is to strike the right balance on wage subsidy/ pay-off to benefit all three parties involved If a new club is involved.

Donny/ Rotherham/ Mansfield/ Bradford/ Scunthorpe/ This man can play and lead the back line. Go for it.

I don't know what has gone on, but if JW's agent shows a copy of our game in the FA cup in 2018 versus Leicester then surely a league one club will want him, he did very well in that game imo.

CE wears his heart on his sleeve and quite often his comments reflect this.

On the one hand, I cant say I really blame the players. Whilst they earn more than most of us ever will, they still have the future and that of ther families to consider.

I think the professional pride angle is a little over simplistic imho. In my situation my heart would be in doing something else but it would pay nowhere near enough.

Like it or not, the contracts are what they are. We'd be quick enough to kick off if the players wanted to break them.

He clarified in his interview today that he wasn’t referring to all that group but “1 or 2 that haven’t really been involved the last 2 years”. He’s clearly referring to Carruthers, where there’s seemingly an impasse between us and him on the cash remaining on his deal, and Holmes, who seemingly isn’t even training elsewhere.

I don't know what has gone on, but if JW's agent shows a copy of our game in the FA cup in 2018 versus Leicester then surely a league one club will want him, he did very well in that game imo.

He did well in that game. On the other hand, he failed a medical at Scunny. No club are gonna offer a deal if you fail the medical.

Failing the medical possibly means that neither he nor the club can do anything more than let his contract run down. He'll almost certainly never earn the same wage again so who can blame him.

It could be as much as an 80% drop (in theory)

If a player like Leon, who joined us when we were in League One, has promotion rises etc which we all accept is probably true then that puts his wage well above even teams like Posh, Rotherham, Pompey etc.

If he’s on £20k now (no idea) - then 4K a week from a league one team would represent an 80% drop. 4K is probably a decent league one wage.

I’ve made all my figures up obviously but its not beyond the realms of possibility.
Leon will be on about 12k. Stearman, Norwood and Sharp were our highest earners last season and that wasnt touching 20k.

Im sure clubs in L1 like Pompey, Sunderland and Rovrum would afford upto 10k max on good players. What a shit wage may i add.

The 1:30 mark on this video is a good insight into how footballers might think. Though it quite relevant to this thread.

Back
Top Bottom