Wilder annoyed at transfer-listed players who won’t leave

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

There is also the possibility that one or more of the players don't understand the 25 man squad rule and think if there are 2 or 3 injuries in their position early season they may get a chance not knowing they won't be allowed to play until at least January

Plus, the likes of Thomas, Heneghan, Carruthers have all shown a willingless to go out on loan previously. They still can until the end of the month. Holmes.....well the blame there lies with Wilder.

I wouldn't answer no, I would answer yes. My idea of professional pride isn't leaving for a lower paid job in a lesser company because my boss doesn't want me around anymore. My idea of professional pride is doing my job to the best of my ability. I have no doubt these players want to do just that, but aren't in the squad so they can't, hence it's irrelevant - or put another way, it isn't what you think it is.
You also can't say you've no idea how much these players have earnt but know they will be financially well off for the rest of their lives. That makes no sense.
I wouldn't answer no, I would answer yes. My idea of professional pride isn't leaving for a lower paid job in a lesser company because my boss doesn't want me around anymore. My idea of professional pride is doing my job to the best of my ability. I have no doubt these players want to do just that, but aren't in the squad so they can't, hence it's irrelevant - or put another way, it isn't what you think it is.
You also can't say you've no idea how much these players have earnt but know they will be financially well off for the rest of their lives. That makes no sense.
You've changed your point of the discussion around professional pride. I admit I have no idea how much each individual is paid but a rough estimate, based around some of the salaries other players earn that are in the public domain, would suggest to me they'll be set for life. Suppose it boils down to how much money you think is enough to survive on. Dont forget it's not the end of their earning potential. Cast your eye throughout the divisions to see how many ex footballers are earning a decent living in some capacity. Its always been jobs for the boys.

I love how some people think that negotiating contracts is within the remit of a football manager, as though Chris Wilder is sat there with his reading specs on going through the terms and conditions.

This is the chap who deals with the contracts: https://uk.linkedin.com/in/carl-shieber-0a43249

Exactly this. Its unlikely contract management is included in his job description so by equal measures he should STFU instead of blowing off about what he considers to be an inconvenience to him in the system. His handling of the Duffy situation demonstrated his naivety in such matters and he would be well advised to stick to what he knows best, i.e. tactics and man management etc and leave the rest to those who are qualified to deal with it.

The reality is these players are not in the 25 man squad so will not be playing for Sheffield United this season. They have all known this for a few weeks maybe this should be a wake up call for them, in a few weeks it will be too late for them to find a new club. If they don't find a new club in that time they are stuck here training with the kids until at least January, like any other job take a long time out and it takes just as long to get up to speed again. I would imagine football is much harder as they become rusty and only playing games gives them the match fitness, they are not doing their careers any good by not playing somewhere. Showing the world they are happy to just take the money and not bothered about playing is not a good image to portray to potential new employers in January they could find no one even wants them. It might not be a problem if you are 34-35 I can understand these not wanting a move miles away from home but for younger players they really are damaging their careers by not playing.

The reality is these players are not in the 25 man squad so will not be playing for Sheffield United this season. They have all known this for a few weeks maybe this should be a wake up call for them, in a few weeks it will be too late for them to find a new club. If they don't find a new club in that time they are stuck here training with the kids until at least January, like any other job take a long time out and it takes just as long to get up to speed again. I would imagine football is much harder as they become rusty and only playing games gives them the match fitness, they are not doing their careers any good by not playing somewhere. Showing the world they are happy to just take the money and not bothered about playing is not a good image to portray to potential new employers in January they could find no one even wants them. It might not be a problem if you are 34-35 I can understand these not wanting a move miles away from home but for younger players they really are damaging their careers by not playing.
I agree with most of that, particularly the bit about younger players. However, each footballers situation is different. They’ve all entered a very unpredictable career and have to work very hard to stay in the professional game. Some are twats, others are badly advised/misled/take the wrong gamble/make the wrong choice/get shit on/get injured/so on. Footballers are all very young adults too.

I disagree with Sir Chris here. Those lads have a contract with the club and are entitled to sit those contracts out and take the money. Unless the club can pay them a satisfactory settlement why should they take a lower salary and leave out of pocket? They’re a long time retired.

In principal it’s a bit like the Gareth Bale situation only on a much smaller financial scale. Real Madrid have tried to force him out and into a situation where he will be paid a lot less elsewhere. Why should he?

Players are slagged off unmercifully when they try to force a move or put in a transfer request. People claim they should honour their contracts. So should clubs. Works both ways.

I disagree with Sir Chris here. Those lads have a contract with the club and are entitled to sit those contracts out and take the money. Unless the club can pay them a satisfactory settlement why should they take a lower salary and leave out of pocket? They’re a long time retired.

In principal it’s a bit like the Gareth Bale situation only on a much smaller financial scale. Real Madrid have tried to force him out and into a situation where he will be paid a lot less elsewhere. Why should he?

Players are slagged off unmercifully when they try to force a move or put in a transfer request. People claim they should honour their contracts. So should clubs. Works both ways.
I agree with you and the other posters who have backed the players in this situation. We all love CW for what he’s done but he isn’t perfect and for me there’s no need for these comments. He’s obviously done it to put the players under pressure, but I don’t like him using the media to speak to his staff.

Not aimed at anyone in particular but where did Chris wilder say they would not honour contracts ? I suspect on this thread a lot of the people slagging off Wilder are the ones who were so upset that Duffy has gone elsewhere. That said I don't think Chris Wilder did much wrong there he gave Duffy the weekend off to think about things so obviously Duffy chose to leave. Unfortunately for these players the club has moved very rapidly above their level.

Spot on metalblade! , why all these fans shafting Wilder?.
Some may lose a bit of money but playing football is there job and may find it difficult finding a club in the new year having lost match fitness due to not playing.

Some may lose a bit of money but playing football is there job and may find it difficult finding a club in the new year having lost match fitness due to not playing.
Finally a couple on the same wavelength as me...

Finally a couple on the same wavelength as me...

Would you take a 3-5x pay cut right now, to move jobs?

You've changed your point of the discussion around professional pride. I admit I have no idea how much each individual is paid but a rough estimate, based around some of the salaries other players earn that are in the public domain, would suggest to me they'll be set for life. Suppose it boils down to how much money you think is enough to survive on. Dont forget it's not the end of their earning potential. Cast your eye throughout the divisions to see how many ex footballers are earning a decent living in some capacity. Its always been jobs for the boys.
I haven't changed my point at all. You, like so many people, use "professional pride" to mean footballers should bugger off somewhere else where they can get a game instead of playing in the reserves. That interpretation only ever applies to footballers. Everywhere else it refers to someone having standards in their work, not settling for shoddy workmanship. Since they are not being allowed to ply their trade as they're not in the squad, it's meaningless to apply it to them.
Not many footballers will carry on earning from the sport after they finish playing. And I didn't mention "surviving" on anything. These players have reached the promised land and suddenly they are expected to drop back down again. Football is harsh that way, but the drop in earnings from PL to League 1 is severe enough for it to be completely understandable that they don't see it as appealing. They may also think that sticking around for a bit will look good on their CV, give them a chance of a loan to a top Championship team, make some better contacts. Who knows? Maybe it's a pipe dream, but I understand it and it doesn't look good when players are being booted out the door in such a fashion.

I haven't changed my point at all. You, like so many people, use "professional pride" to mean footballers should bugger off somewhere else where they can get a game instead of playing in the reserves. That interpretation only ever applies to footballers. Everywhere else it refers to someone having standards in their work, not settling for shoddy workmanship. Since they are not being allowed to ply their trade as they're not in the squad, it's meaningless to apply it to them.
Not many footballers will carry on earning from the sport after they finish playing. And I didn't mention "surviving" on anything. These players have reached the promised land and suddenly they are expected to drop back down again. Football is harsh that way, but the drop in earnings from PL to League 1 is severe enough for it to be completely understandable that they don't see it as appealing. They may also think that sticking around for a bit will look good on their CV, give them a chance of a loan to a top Championship team, make some better contacts. Who knows? Maybe it's a pipe dream, but I understand it and it doesn't look good when players are being booted out the door in such a fashion.
No one is being booted out of the door. They can see out their contracts and the club will honour that. If you don't like the term professional pride lets try personal pride. I enjoy your posts but can't agree with you on this one.

I love how some people think that negotiating contracts is within the remit of a football manager, as though Chris Wilder is sat there with his reading specs on going through the terms and conditions.

This is the chap who deals with the contracts: https://uk.linkedin.com/in/carl-shieber-0a43249

Most of us are aware of that Linz. Is there anybody who thinks that Wilder doesn't pull all the strings? Our club is run on 'Wilder principles' thank goodness.

Good old fashioned principles, what the manager says goes, everything revolves around THE man. The unique ( for these times) S2 Model.

There's a whole new thread there methinks.

Would you take a 3-5x pay cut right now, to move jobs?
Ill never get a dream job of being a footballer but your talking as if its hundreds of pounds when reality they will still be earning thousands. You can still live a comfy life on a couple of grand a week and in the last few years including bonuses theyll have earnt over 500k each comfy. My heart bleeds.

No one is being booted out of the door. They can see out their contracts and the club will honour that. If you don't like the term professional pride lets try personal pride. I enjoy your posts but can't agree with you on this one.
No, I know they're not being booted out the door literally, but Wilder is trying to put the pressure on to do just that. Perhaps I should divulge that I was once forced out of a very good job by a director whom I'd fallen out with. It wasn't done properly but with comments to others, manipulations, finally a restructuring that side-lined me. My professional pride plus my desire to get away from a toxic situation caused me to leave. I've no doubt that that colours my view somewhat. I would have sued the company except that I moved to one of their service providers, but it was to an equivalent/better job in my case.
I see a little bit of that in Wilder's comments. The players are powerless to combat comments like these in the media without making themselves look pretty bad. It's very disempowering. Wilder is honest and wears his heart on his sleeve, but this is the downside of it. These comments should have been internal and/or better phrased.
However much this is costing the club, it can't be that much in the big scheme of things, some of these players will go, if others don't, it's the price of giving them a longer contract than they should have had. Look at any PL club and you'll see players that aren't going to get a game but are on the books.
Anyway, I'm glad at least someone (normally) enjoys my posts! But it's good to have different opinions, disagreements are what makes the forum, it makes me think about my own opinions, question my own stance on things, so cheers for the very civilised debate.

The length and terms of certain players contracts was rightly criticised at the time.

Wilder was centric to this process, as it’s part of his brief as manager. He has made it clear he doesn’t want a DOF or an FD involved to any great extent with contracts.

He isn’t blameless here. Let’s be straight. The blinkers were truly on in a few instances which has clouded judgement.

That said, he is also correct in suggesting players should be looking to play. He’s also been quick to point out that they “shouldn’t leave with nothing”.

We should really take this to mean UTD will ensure they aren’t vastly out of pocket, with either a pay off or a wages subsidy as an incentive to go.

UTB

He could but that’s the problem with post match interviews, a manager has been concentrating on the game, is emotional about the result and then gets broadsided with a question he wasn’t expecting. So he says what he thinks rather than trotting out a pre prepared answer.

It’s very easy to say what he should have said after the event. We’ve all been on the spot at some time in our lives and thought, with the benefit of hindsight ‘I should have answered that better, I should have said this’

Yeah but the benefit is there's more to be outraged :mad::mad::mad: about.

No one is suggesting it is a hard life.
Go out and play some football then. Such a privilege job with a paycut which will still be a decent living wage. United and Wilder have looked after these players far too long now. Cant wait till they're gone personally.

Go out and play some football then. Such a privilege job with a paycut which will still be a decent living wage. United and Wilder have looked after these players far too long now. Cant wait till they're gone personally.

United (and Wilder) are obliged to 'look after these players' considering United AND Wilder gave them the contracts.

I would if I was good enough!
If "too long" is before the end of the contract, then that's the club's fault and the players shouldn't be disadvantaged because of it.

Back
Top Bottom