Why The Blades will finish in the top two

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Cloughs argument would be that we totally dominated the game because of the formation ,and fair enough but he could have replaced Baxter as his input was very little.

Cloughs argument would be that we totally dominated the game because of the formation ,and fair enough but he could have replaced Baxter as his input was very little.

Your abuse of Baxter is similar to your treatment of Hill. It's relentless.

Why is that abuse ? Just stating a fact ,tell me Im wrong.
I will be honest and say I don't like him ,think he offers very little and don't think he puts the effort in that is required for Sheffield United . If he changes his ways and hits form I wouldn't have to have that opinion and would happily change my view of him but all I can do is offer an honest assessment and that is what he offers at the moment.

Why The Blades will finish in the top two

We will get more points than 22 other clubs

weve also scored in 15 consecutive games , without as some point out having any forwards

Still need another striker to challenge the top two.

Bristol may run out of steam though.

No "may" about it. We will "run out of steam" and possibly sooner than later. We have Oldham, Swindon, Preston and Posh next, a tough November. I have said before we will find out whether we have automatic promotion in us when we hit a rough patch, how we respond to a defeat or two.

At no point have we swept anyone aside and looked like champions in waiting. If we have had one quality about us above anyone else so far, it is probably an ability to dig out results when playing no better than the opposition. We have "found a way to win," or, not lose, increasingly. We have also found a few ways to concede equalisers when 3 points have been minutes away.

And we haven't kept a clean sheet in about 8 consecutive games now. Whereas you lot look mean at the back. It would seem most sides have worked out how to open us up and create chances, although not how to shut us out, as yet.

I said on here weeks ago, when some of you were having a bit of a hissy fit after Swindon or some defeat, "it's game on, people." Unfortunately, looks like I was right! Still a long way to go and so much can happen. Preston look most likely, right now. Who knows what will happen?

It's better than last season, though

Many supporters will see 6th position after 13 games as a disappointing start to a season where expectations were set understandably high, following last season's dramatic improvement, after Cloughie took charge.

Conscious, always, of my tendency towards optimism where the Blades are concerned, I still believe the evidence of the season, so far, points to The Blades finishing in an automatic promotion place and battling it out with Bristol City for the DIv 3 title.

Cloughie made seismic changes to his squad during the close season - some enforced, some not. The result of these changes was that the team that started the season against Bristol, contained only 4 players that started the final game of last season (Howard, Flynn, Scougall and Murphy). Most notably, the team kicked-off in August with an entirely new back four, including a central defensive partnership, consisting of an 18 year-old with 6 league appearances to his name and a right back being played out of position. The club captain was dropped and replaced by a talented but inexperienced and physically developing 17 year old. Unsurprisingly the team looked disjointed and vulnerable, losing its first two games.

To his credit, Cloughie acknowledged the problems he had inflicted on his team and restored Collins and Doyle for the Peterborough game, which provided a much needed win.

If we take the view that the season effectively started for The Blades at Peterborough, by which time Cloughie had learned some important lessons and got his close season hysteria out of his system, an interesting picture emerges.

In 11 league games since the defeat at Coventry the Blades have gained 23 points from 11 league games. If they continue to acquire points at this ratio they will finish the season on 92 points - a points total that has equated to a top two League One finish in 8 out of the past 10 seasons.

The most significant aspect of the season so far is the team's performance levels, which Cloughie and a large majority of supporters perceive as inconsistent and generally underwhelming (I have seen 8 league games and witnessed only one dominant 90 minute performance, against Gillingham). So, every reason to believe the team can and should improve, as a group of new players become accustomed to each other and Cloughie works out what his best 11 looks like.

Indicators of a team starting to find its rhythm are clean sheets: 4 so far this season of which 2 have been achieved in the last two games, and goals scored: 6 in the first six games; 15 in the last seven games.

What's more, The Blades have been deprived of key players through injury during the early part of the season, with Scougall, Baxter and Wallace missing or playing with niggles at various stages. Indeed, it could be argued that Cloughie has yet to have his best 11, fully fit and available for selection.

The data suggests a team making steady and significant improvement in a league which looks there for the taking (irrespective of Cloughie's protestations to the contrary).

Unlike last season, when the squad looked threadbare and vulnerable to the loss of a key player or two, this season's group confers good cover options in most positions, with the possible exception of central striker.

There are still problems to be addressed: Cloughie is still, evidently, unconvinced about the central defenders at his disposal and replacing Harry has proved to be every bit as difficult as expected. But there are also exciting new possibilities, with the emergence of McNulty as a possible 20 goal striker and Louis Reed, who to my eyes looks to be the most promising midfield prospect to emerge from the Academy to date. We've seen relatively little of James Wallace, but what we have seen has oozed class and composure.

Of course, the unexpected can happen and it would be foolhardy to suggest promotion was nailed on. However, based on evidence so far, I expect The Blades to finish the season with a similar or better points per games ratio as that achieved since the Coventry defeat, and this should ensure a top two finish.

For those who like a bet, you can still get 10/1 against The Blades winning promotion. I reckon that's a knocking good price and one which will only contract from this point on.

UTB!

UPDATE

"In 11 league games since the defeat at Coventry the Blades have gained 23 points from 11 league games. If they continue to acquire points at this ratio they will finish the season on 92 points - a points total that has equated to a top two League One finish in 8 out of the past 10 seasons."

Still on target!

The most significant aspect of the season so far is the team's performance levels, which Cloughie and a large majority of supporters perceive as inconsistent and generally underwhelming (I have seen 8 league games and witnessed only one dominant 90 minute performance, against Gillingham). So, every reason to believe the team can and should improve, as a group of new players become accustomed to each other and Cloughie works out what his best 11 looks like.

Four subsequent "dominant" performances v Yeovil, Barnsley, Crewe and Donnie.

Indicators of a team starting to find its rhythm are clean sheets: 4 so far this season of which 2 have been achieved in the last two games, and goals scored: 6 in the first six games; 15 in the last seven games.

Another 3 in the last 4 league games - only 1 goal conceded.

What's more, The Blades have been deprived of key players through injury during the early part of the season, with Scougall, Baxter and Wallace missing or playing with niggles at various stages. Indeed, it could be argued that Cloughie has yet to have his best 11, fully fit and available for selection.

Deprived of all recognised (nobody recognises Porter anymore) strikers in the last 2 league games, and still beat Donnie, with 10 men.

The data suggests a team making steady and significant improvement in a league which looks there for the taking (irrespective of Cloughie's protestations to the contrary).

Improvement continuing. Now looking very hard to beat and possessing a goal threat, though conversion of chances is still poor.

Unlike last season, when the squad looked threadbare and vulnerable to the loss of a key player or two, this season's group confers good cover options in most positions, with the possible exception of central striker.

Still missing that striker.

There are still problems to be addressed: Cloughie is still, evidently, unconvinced about the central defenders at his disposal and replacing Harry has proved to be every bit as difficult as expected.

Central defensive issue addressed decisively with the conversion of a very average attacking midfielder into one of the best central defenders in Lg1.

But there are also exciting new possibilities, with the emergence of McNulty as a possible 20 goal striker and Louis Reed, who to my eyes looks to be the most promising midfield prospect to emerge from the Academy to date.

Neither have moved forward significantly in the last few games but McNulty most definitely has a point to prove now.

We've seen relatively little of James Wallace, but what we have seen has oozed class and composure.

Pattern looks set here, sadly. but Scougall looks back to his best of late, so we'll cope.

And what's more:

The team is now pressing opponents much further up the pitch and looking like the fittest team in Lg1

We're moving the ball out wide much quicker, creating more 1 v 1s for Murphy and co, and getting lots of crossing practice in readiness for our new striker arriving later this week

We still have our transfer kitty gaining interest, ready to be spent wisely by Cloughie on the right players

THE BLADES ARE GOING UP!

You are wrong.

10/1 is the price available for United to finish top of League One. We are just 9/4 to be promoted and 8/15 to finish in the top six.

Forget 2nd place.

WE WILL WIN THE LEAGUE

Doing just what Wolves did last season. Get your money on at 10-1

In 3 home games time it might be too late.

UTB

3rd in the form table at the moment.

Keep up the good work and we should be aiming for the top two.

Where have you got tens for United to win the league?
Best I can ge at the moment is eights, all information great fully received

Many thanks for your help, although they do not appear to accept registrations from UK, seems 8/1 is best.

Sporting should accept UK registrations? I had an account with them before. Though I know nothing of vbet.

I'm loving the optimism and I share the same view. Bristol city even admitted that them playing us early on in the season was a blessing as we hadn't fully settled the squad down after making a number of additions during summer.

Also, we seem to have had our 'injury wobble' early doors and other teams are yet to got through this phase which can only be good for us.

Strikers wise, i think it might have to be a case of using what we've got. Clough wont buy for the sake of buying and if we can get mcnulty or diego on form and scoring every week as well as baxter, murphy and the others contributing then promotion here we come. UTB

Back
Top Bottom