Why not go 5-3-2

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

BobblesBlade

Reaction score
The squad was built for 5-3-2 with overlapping cbs. Why not carry that on until new players come in.

worrying that Slavisa is picking Fleck on the right and Osborn on the left.
Surely Bogle on the right and if anything Fleck on the left.
So weird what is going on.

Because that’s what Wilder did. Half of our moronic fan base would go against it just to be edgy.

He needs to pick a formation and just persevere with it. Amazed we haven’t brought in any wingers yet, we need direct ball carrying players

Staggering he hasn't continued the system these players know inside out.
And then when he gets his own players in, make the change to formation.
I think he will revert back to 5-3-2, in the short term to try and get results.
Saturday is massive now.

The squad was built for 5-3-2 with overlapping cbs. Why not carry that on until new players come in.

I'm afraid that's too obvious for our new management team

Round pegs in square holes, absolutely hate it.
And the 15 passes to get to half way then lose the ball.

Sat on the coach seriously unhappy, home gone midnight, up at 6 for work.
And for what......

Staggering he hasn't continued the system these players know inside out.
And then when he gets his own players in, make the change to formation.
I think he will revert back to 5-3-2, in the short term to try and get results.
Saturday is massive now.
I'm not so sure, I thought tonight was an obvious one to to back to 5 3 2. When I saw the starting 11 it looked like he had, but no.

Did you watch the game, or just get the formation from sky? He did play 352/532. Fleck wasn't on the right, but in his usual position on the left of midfield. Robinson lcb and Ozzy lwb. Wilderball at its finest.

Although it doesn't matter what fucking formation you play if you can't defend long throws and corners.

We can't play a new formation until we have the players to do it.

Signings needed ASAP.

Did you watch the game, or just get the formation from sky? He did play 352/532. Fleck wasn't on the right, but in his usual position on the left of midfield. Robinson lcb and Ozzy lwb. Wilderball at its finest.

Although it doesn't matter what fucking formation you play if you can't defend long throws and corners.
We played a back 4, Osborn was playing left wing.

This. There was definitely 3 at the back. Didn't see Fleck for most of the game so could have been anywhere. I think he might have pissed off for a pint at one stage in the first half.

Because that’s what Wilder did. Half of our moronic fan base would go against it just to be edgy.
Just like Slavisa then? Not playing to the strengths of these players, possibly because it’s was what Wilder did. I don’t know how long his contract is, but he’d have plenty of time to introduce his style of play onto this team. But until he can get HIS own players in...Stick with the devil we know.

442 tonight, but I don't think the shape was the main problem.

Unfortunately I did and it doesn't look like anyone could tell the shape. Pretty much all over the shop.

Fully understand people were confused about our formation.

You often describe a formation by how a team lines up out of possession with all players behind the ball. The problem yesterday was that WBA very rarely had possession in their own half (before kicking it forward).

Often you can see the structure a team tries to keep when the opposition goalkeeper takes a long goal kick. But even that was difficult as their goalkeeper hardly touched the ball first half. Here is one occasion though, the ball is launched long, and you can spot our front six in one image:

1629399356362.png

So Sharp was the lone central striker. McGoldrick was wide right, Berge RCM, Norwood DCM, Fleck LCM and Osborn LM, meaning our starting formation was 4-5-1/4-3-3, depending on what you want to classify our wide men as.

After their first goal, we pushed McGoldrick a bit higher and closer to Sharp, although he still helped out down the right on occasions. But more like a 4-4-2, although Berge's position wasn't much changed. We kept this shape as we started the second half, and following McBurnie and Burke coming on.

A bit after Freeman came on we changed to 3-5-2.

Worth noting that half of our overlapping CBs have been out injured for over a year and we've been dire since that injury and incredibly imbalanced, However with Davies here nowwe could revert to a back 3 temporarily but I'd refrain from "overlapping CBs"

The trouble with reverting back is we have to take another step back if/when we do recruit wingers in order to start the process over.

However Id go with a back 4 and a CB pairing of Egan and Davies and I'd put Bash in front of them, he will break up play,put a foot in, and allow whoever he's playing with the play with more freedom and he also drives with the ball. for me thats Bashams role in the team moving forward

Worth noting that half of our overlapping CBs have been out injured for over a year and we've been dire since that injury and incredibly imbalanced, However with Davies here nowwe could revert to a back 3 temporarily but I'd refrain from "overlapping CBs"

The trouble with reverting back is we have to take another step back if/when we do recruit wingers in order to start the process over.

However Id go with a back 4 and a CB pairing of Egan and Davies and I'd put Bash in front of them, he will break up play,put a foot in, and allow whoever he's playing with the play with more freedom and he also drives with the ball. for me thats Bashams role in the team moving forward
Interesting, Bash as CDM. What would the rest of your team be?

It was 4-3-3 lads. (was in the stands watching unfortunately).

Osborn was left wing, didz was supposed to be right wing (but wandered allover being absolutely useless).

Three centre mids. (boring flat 3 with no creativity)

Robinson left back, Egan and bash in the middle and Baldock right back.

No hands in the net.

Interesting, Bash as CDM. What would the rest of your team be?

I posted something very similar maybe yesterday but with Left Wing left open. Was told McBurnie had played out left in the past, but for me the fact he's decent in the air edges it, for now go with Brewster. GK remains open, unless we bring someone in before the weekend I don't even think it matters who plays there.

I think our biggest problem is not formation but mindset.

Screenshot 2021-08-19 at 21.26.15.png

It's a plan. I do lots of this - different players in different formations. Thing is lately they all look really flimsy to me. I don't see Bash as a ball winning breaker up of play. We built a system round his inability to play full back, centre back or midfield but perform a roll that was some kind of mix of all three. I just think we need new blood.

You don't need overlapping centre backs to play with a back three, just use wingbacks to provide the width until we sign some wingers rather than strikers out of position or whatever Burke is supposed to be.

You mean like last night?

I'm not a football manager or a coach and I'm certainly no genius either.
However, having watched my team over a number of years I believe the best, entertaining and most exciting football I've witnessed is when we have played an attacking 3-5-2 formation be that recently under Wilder in the Championship promotion season or under Spackman.
When players are given licence to roam and express themselves and attack teams, whether that's with a Borborkis or a Baldock, with a Stuart or Hutchinson or a Duffy, with a Deane and Fjortoft or a Sharp/Brewster and McBurnie, let's attack teams and make them fear us!
The back 3 makes us far more solid centrally and with the wing-backs dropping back in then a 5 gives us a far better chance of defending our goal too.
Add to that a midfield 3, be that a Marker, Whitehouse and Stuart or a Duffy, Fleck and Norwood or a Freeman, Berge and Norwood - when supported by the wing-backs again, a midfield 5 when attacking gives each player on the ball more options AND possibly that bit more freedom to express themselves safe in the knowledge that a team mate won't be too far away to back them up or dig them out the shit IF a mistake or poor decision is made.
It's not rocket science (it really isn't). Play with freedom, without fear and have a real go at teams and the fans will support and back those players even if it doesn't quite pay off.
Knock it about at the back, laboriously, slow, for no real reason at all and play a formation that just doesn't work for us and makes us as boring to watch as England (ok, maybe not THAT boring but not far off) and the fans will not accept it or enjoy it and will turn against the manager and players.
3-5-2 didn't work last season but that was a one-off freak season with no fans to drive the team on, major injuries to contend with, coupled with a "flat" midfield 3 as well which just doesn't allow us to play the best way we can and the rest as they say is, well, history.
This season can still go well IF we play to our strengths, go at teams and put the ball in the danger areas (even England figured that out eventually - put the ball in there!).
Give the fans something to get behind and they will support and drive the team on once again . . . . . . . . . . . . .
COME ON YOU RED AND WHITE WIIIZZZAAARRRDDDSSS!!!

Fully understand people were confused about our formation.

You often describe a formation by how a team lines up out of possession with all players behind the ball. The problem yesterday was that WBA very rarely had possession in their own half (before kicking it forward).

Often you can see the structure a team tries to keep when the opposition goalkeeper takes a long goal kick. But even that was difficult as their goalkeeper hardly touched the ball first half. Here is one occasion though, the ball is launched long, and you can spot our front six in one image:

View attachment 119241

So Sharp was the lone central striker. McGoldrick was wide right, Berge RCM, Norwood DCM, Fleck LCM and Osborn LM, meaning our starting formation was 4-5-1/4-3-3, depending on what you want to classify our wide men as.

After their first goal, we pushed McGoldrick a bit higher and closer to Sharp, although he still helped out down the right on occasions. But more like a 4-4-2, although Berge's position wasn't much changed. We kept this shape as we started the second half, and following McBurnie and Burke coming on.

A bit after Freeman came on we changed to 3-5-2.
Here you are pommpey . I am expecting you to tell me to fuck off again!

Back
Top Bottom