Why do you support Sheffield United?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Like many others, I was born into it - with older brother, dad and granddad all being Blades. But there's a plot twist. The first matches I went to were Wednesday matches. This was the mid 1980s and United were languishing outside the top flight and playing in front of crowds of about 8,000.
So instead of taking us to the Lane, our granddad would take us to Hillsborough whenever the big teams rolled into town - Man Utd, Liverpool, Arsenal etc. It was a masterstroke by him to be fair, seeing the big name players of the day in front of biggish crowds helped to get me hooked on the game.
First United match was a 1-0 defeat at home to Derby County in the FA Cup. Can't remember anything of it. Properly started going to the Lane in earnest during the Dave Bassett era.
Derby brought a huge following that day
 



Why do I support Sheffield United?​

I pondered over this for a good while, let’s look at some facts
1.Born in S6 , not a good start
2.Named after a Wendy centre forward , was to have his surname as my middle name but was stopped by my uncle H ,who said he may be a Blade.
3. School was in S6 ,3 Blades in my Year.
4. Mother & Father season ticket holders at owlerton in the north stand.
5. Moved house in 66 to Winn Gardens
Couldn’t get much worse.

Still no idea how I became a Blade.

At my father’s funeral. Had a chat with uncle Hs best mate who asked still supporting the Blades?
It turns out he and uncle H asked my father ,”taken young un to football yet” Dads reply he’s not interested.
So they took me to Bramall Lane , some time before 66 as I had broken my ankle and revived a letter from United with all the players signatures on it..

For a few years my birthday present From my Wendy parents in July would be a season ticket for the Kop.
It’s a bumpy ride supporting the Blades , wouldn’t swop it . ( perhaps the odd cup final win / euro place Would have been nice)
Still get miffed when we lose, was hopeful when the yanks moved in ,but the jury’s still out on them.
 
My Dad's side of the family are all Sheffield United, so it has been passed down. I wasn't born in Sheffield and didn't live in the city growing up. Dad and Grandad were season ticket holders through the 60's and 70's, we had family that lived on Denby Street. My Grandad attended the 1936 FA Cup final with his father (who was also at the 1925 final). They also lived on the same street as Billy Gillespie.

My Grandad actually came from a Wednesday supporting family (his Grandfather played for Wednesday in 1880's) but my Grandma's side were all dyed in the wool Blades so he had no chance!

I grew up hearing all this and stories about memorable games and players. After my first game in 1990 (v Liverpool) when I was 10, I was hooked and the rest is history. I longed for our trips back to Sheffield to visit family and I loved reading the Green un cuttings that arrived in the post every week. It wasn't until 2000 that I had my first season ticket on the Kop, and followed home and away for much of that decade. My passion has never wavered and despite living abroad now and being exiled again, I am still as passionate as ever. Those trips back to the Lane are always special.
 
I was born in Southampton and supported Saints when growing up. When I moved to Sheffield 35 years ago for work, I decided to watch the Blades because they played in red and white stripes, like Saints (rather than the other team who played in blue like Pompey!)! I have now been a season ticket holder for 25 years and endured Blades for many more years than I ever supported the team of my childhood.
 
My Dad's side of the family are all Sheffield United, so it has been passed down. I wasn't born in Sheffield and didn't live in the city growing up. Dad and Grandad were season ticket holders through the 60's and 70's, we had family that lived on Denby Street. My Grandad attended the 1936 FA Cup final with his father (who was also at the 1925 final). They also lived on the same street as Billy Gillespie.

My Grandad actually came from a Wednesday supporting family (his Grandfather played for Wednesday in 1880's) but my Grandma's side were all dyed in the wool Blades so he had no chance!

I grew up hearing all this and stories about memorable games and players. After my first game in 1990 (v Liverpool) when I was 10, I was hooked and the rest is history. I longed for our trips back to Sheffield to visit family and I loved reading the Green un cuttings that arrived in the post every week. It wasn't until 2000 that I had my first season ticket on the Kop, and followed home and away for much of that decade. My passion has never wavered and despite living abroad now and being exiled again, I am still as passionate as ever. Those trips back to the Lane are always special.
Great story that
 
How did you get here?

I don’t suppose anyone did it for glory hunting! Unless you’re over 100 years old!

My great, great grandfather witnessed 3 FA cup wins and only top tier football.

So I was born into supporting the club, though I'm still waiting for similar levels of glory.
With little expectation.
 
My dad brought me as a mardy little 7 year old with no particular interest in football. Well, it was slap bang in the middle of the Woody/TC era, and with United in the top flight, the sheer number of people, the colours, the noise, the smell, the swearing, the pure aggression, the raw emotion…It frightened me to fucking death, I didn’t know whether the cry or crap myself.
But that was it…Blade for life.
 
Last edited:
Because my dad supports Southampton 🤣

Although with the year long flash backs to that Moore pass maybe getting banned from the final is a better way to get knocked out.
 
You don’t choose your team, your team chooses you….at least that’s how it used to be. Grandad from Heeley, family roots … Manor , Darnall, Woodhouse and Brinsworth. First game 71 ish. United Beat Ipswich 7-0 with Woody getting 4…. I thought all games were gonna be like that….they weren’t 😂….exiled since 73.
 
Simple...I have a high threshold for self flagellation, dissapointment, snatching defeat from the jaws of victory, etc,etc...you get the idea !
 
first time i went felt like home, I had been with freinds to Rotherham & THEM, which was sh*t and vile, and donny.

I was not going to bother with football but then a group of mates said try the lane and when i walk on the KOP felt at home, felt like i belonged and loved it and to be clear it was a 4 nil loss but still felt like i was in the right place and went from then on, even though i am not living Sheffield or Rotherham now still support from a far and now and again go to close away games if i can get tickets or the occasional home game.

I also made sure my boy was burdened for life and he was a mascot and walked out with Sander which was a very happy moment indeed, and we are still suffering blades to this day.

I wear my Sheffield United Lanyard all day every day.
 
Because we don't spy on our opponents, even going as far as to disguise ourselves as another team 🤣
 



Closest team to where I grew up and also I am not an over confident, deluded, smug, annoying wanker so it was the netural choice.
 
I was born in Southampton and supported Saints when growing up. When I moved to Sheffield 35 years ago for work, I decided to watch the Blades because they played in red and white stripes, like Saints (rather than the other team who played in blue like Pompey!)! I have now been a season ticket holder for 25 years and endured Blades for many more years than I ever supported the team of my childhood.
Did you know Southampton is full of spies?
 
Dad was a Blade, grew up on Arbour, used to walk down to watch reserve matches.

At school most were Blades and school kit was red & white.

Played for a Blades team as a young lad & soon after started going regular.

Now go with my sons and FIL as a season ticket holder of many years.
 
My dad's fault.
He lived over by Mosborough, then he moved over to the Wednesday end when I was a kid, leaving me to fend for myself at school etc.
 
Came to study at Sheffield University in 1985, went to a few games in S6 and couldn’t stand the flat atmosphere, then went to BDTBL in 1986 for an end of season 5-2 thumping by Norwich, but the atmosphere and the humour on the terraces had me hooked, never looked back.
 
As a born and bred Thrybergh lad my initial forays into football were at Millmoor.
Up until secondary school I was a Miller but not fully committed. A friend in my form was an ardent Pigs fan who persuaded me to go to the theatre of rust a few times. I went but didn't really feel anything.
One Saturday afternoon in what must have been winter time I decided to go to Bramall Lane. I'd no idea at the time where the ground was. I got off the 69 Rotherham to Sheffield bus just outside Castle Market and wandered up to Fitzalan Square. I spotted someone wearing a red and white football scarf and followed them along Pond Street eventually making it to the Lane.
I walked up the steps to the back of the kop and stepped out onto the kop itself. A few flakes of snow were falling. Looking down onto the pitch , for some reason, I just felt I belonged. Can't remember who we were playing or what the score was.
But that was it. I was hooked.
 
21st April, 1982. Lived in a sleepy town, 15 miles from Peterborough and was a wet-behind-the-ears teenager. Both teams were vying for promotion to the now League 2, and this was a must-see night game at London Road. 13,000 official attendance, 7000+ from Sheffield. As my dad drove us to the game, we saw hundreds of Blades fans walking to the match from the A1 - this is a 4-5 mile walk. The atmosphere was electric, and I was hypnotised by the pace and power of the Blades side as they cantered to a 4-0 win. I couldn't take my eyes off the away end too. It was 6 years later when I actually made it to the lane to witness a 6-1 win vs Chester, where Deane and Agana both scored a hat-trick.
 
Wasn't into football at all as a kid, had a friend at school in south london who supported Wimbledon. So i told people i liked Wimbledon, without knowing anything about them.

Moved up to Yorkshire at 11 about the same time that Dave Bassett became manager, think my stepdad must have seen the link and i've never looked back!!! 1st match 3-1 loss to Chesterfield😂
 

Why do I support Sheffield United?​

I pondered over this for a good while, let’s look at some facts
1.Born in S6 , not a good start
2.Named after a Wendy centre forward , was to have his surname as my middle name but was stopped by my uncle H ,who said he may be a Blade.
3. School was in S6 ,3 Blades in my Year.
4. Mother & Father season ticket holders at owlerton in the north stand.
5. Moved house in 66 to Winn Gardens
Couldn’t get much worse.

Still no idea how I became a Blade.

At my father’s funeral. Had a chat with uncle Hs best mate who asked still supporting the Blades?
It turns out he and uncle H asked my father ,”taken young un to football yet” Dads reply he’s not interested.
So they took me to Bramall Lane , some time before 66 as I had broken my ankle and revived a letter from United with all the players signatures on it..

For a few years my birthday present From my Wendy parents in July would be a season ticket for the Kop.
It’s a bumpy ride supporting the Blades , wouldn’t swop it . ( perhaps the odd cup final win / euro place Would have been nice)
Still get miffed when we lose, was hopeful when the yanks moved in ,but the jury’s still out on them.
 
More of a reader than a poster on here, not least because I don't get to the Lane very much at all. Far from a classic backstory of coming from generations of Blades for me.

Grew up not far from Sheffield and Dad took me to several games - he's not a Blade but could see I was interested in footy from a young age. Then we moved away when I was still quite young. Going through school years with kids who barely knew who SUFC were let alone supported them like me was fun... Getting mickey taken by glory supporting PL team fans and having my Blades coat nicked at school one day was a particular highlight, although that may have been around the time of the Triple Assault season, so there was some source of positivity at least.

So follows years of trying to find half decent radio or TV highlights coverage before the wonders of the internet and smart phones. No Blades mates to unpick everything with off a Monday morning, although there were a few that supported other championship teams to banter with.

Seems like everytime I did drag myself to watch us live we'd lose or draw, so I might be doing you all a favour with my absence! I find it hard to motivate myself to go on my own to this day, so much of the live match day experience seems to be centred around enjoying it (even if the football's poor) with Blades family and friends.

It's funny how even for someone like me who by my own admission doesn't have as tangible a link as many fans, wins cheer me up and losses get me down. It does mean a lot to you, and however you end up supporting your club, they'll always be your club.

But this is a good opportunity to say thanks as I have before on here to those that put together all the various Blades podcasts I enjoy. They're a big help in making me feel more connected even from afar.
 
Just been catching up on some of these. Great stuff.

My own version:

My Dad was from the Sheffield area and chose to support United purely because his older brother supports Wednesday.

I was born in and bred in the "home counties" down south. First match at the Blades was 1st Jan 1991 (age 6) - I think my Dad took me at that point because I already loved football and was on the verge of choosing a team to support. All his side of the family are/were still in and around South Yorkshire so we used to travel up the motorways quite a lot anyway.

1st Jan 1991 was a 1-0 win against QPR. I recall being amazed when arriving at the stadium and of course seeing the pitch for the first time. You can't replicate that feeling, as many have mentioned. My Dad (who hadn't been since the 70s I think, but I could be wrong) told me no9 was our best player (Deano) in the warm up. Roy Wegerle put a QPR penalty over the bar, which is my main memory of the actual game.

Loved it. Luckily I would get taken to a fair few matches each season after that.

Down south I would always watch scores on Ceefax religiously, every match day. Up until internet radio was invented and we could listen to Blades commentary - that was an incredible escalation for following the side! Before that I had to assume all our players were great from seeing brief highlights, occasional TV game, or my occasional match attendance.

Lived in West Yorkshire for two years in the League One days. I willingly agreed to leaving London because I immediately was thinking "Blades season ticket". So I went to watch Blades for two years (on my own on the Kop, not ideal, but I was happy enough). This included seeing us blow promotion after a certain striker went to prison. Golden times.

In 2018 I got a VPN immediately and pretended to be a french person to buy the season pass, for match streaming purposes. Life changing - albeit good for me and bad for my wife.

Over the years I've never had enough money to go to as many games as I'd like, and unfortunately my wife has zero interest in football, despite me taking her to a few absolutely classic Blades games (including Henderson hat-trick 3-2 away at Bristol City, and Hull at Wembley). But I always try to get to away games in various parts of the country that I've been living (usually alone but sometimes a mate will join me).

Already indoctrinated my young kids into supporting the Blades, which I honestly feel quite guilty about - though I've taken my son to the Lane and got his 'climbing stairs and seeing the pitch' on video. They could very easily support Brighton and Hove Albion though and probably be a lot happier... But then again, I've probably left out the best part of all this; that being the only Sheffield United fan pretty much anywhere I've ever been, has been fun, challenging, different and probably quite character defining.

Pay the £35m you silly rich idiots.
 



All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Back
Top Bottom