Why Bramall Lane & Not Hillsborough

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

“We want teams playing in front of full stadia, we didn't think it would be right for teams to play in front of half-empty crowds.”

In summary 😂

"One of those host cities is Sheffield, with Bramall Lane hosting three group matches and a semi-final despite its lower capacity compared to that of Hillsborough. Rotherham United’s 12,000-seater New York Stadium – a venue with a long-standing tradition of hosting women’s internationals – is also a host venue."

They're gonna cry 🤭

If their stadium isn't upto date for some women's competition which let's be honest, won't be heaving with crowds despite the best efforts of organisers, imagine how bad it is for PL football should they ever have to worry about it?
They get big crowds to be fair, think I read that they've sold half a million tickets for the tournament already.

Been posted a couple of times this article now but is there really much difference in the capacity of the grounds now?

Wednesday's certainly isn't offering 40k+ in terms of safety. Just checked and it is reduced to 34,854 for safety reasons.

BDTBL I see is 32,050. So 2,804 difference. It's not as if they have been selling any more than 32,050 more than a couple of times in the past 2 decades and that has been end of season and folks coming out of the woodwork for a one off winner takes all survival type game.

They get big crowds to be fair, think I read that they've sold half a million tickets for the tournament already.
Half a million tickets isn't that many when you take into account that there's (I think) 55 games.

Bare in mind the opening game has apparently sold out at 75k.

That leaves you with 425000 tickets sold between the other 54 games, about 7500 per game. You'd expect most of the tickets sold will be for the opening game, final and semi-finals - so some of the group games will have pretty low attendance (unless there's last minute ticket sales/giveaways)

I used to think Hillsboro was an excellent stadium. I went there for the last 0-0, my girlfriend agreed that the away end was like something out of Eastern Europe. An absolute dump and it’s deterioration is a mirror to what has happened to that club over the last 20 years

If their stadium isn't upto date for some women's competition which let's be honest, won't be heaving with crowds despite the best efforts of organisers, imagine how bad it is for PL football should they ever have to worry about it?
70,000 tonight and BL sold out for semi, so large crowds expected everywhere.

Bramall Lane is a premier league standard Ground now. after being there a couple of seasons ago. better parking/public transport etc.
Wendy's ground is old-fashioned now.

Half a million tickets isn't that many when you take into account that there's (I think) 55 games.

Bare in mind the opening game has apparently sold out at 75k.

That leaves you with 425000 tickets sold between the other 54 games, about 7500 per game. You'd expect most of the tickets sold will be for the opening game, final and semi-finals - so some of the group games will have pretty low attendance (unless there's last minute ticket sales/giveaways)
31 Games in total including Wembley for the final that is already sold out as is all England games, plus both semi finals at the Lane and Stadium MK, Low capacity at Man City Academy and Man United Women's Stadiums will reduce ticket sales, still don't understand why they were awarded but overall I think sales will be pretty good and should be a good event.

Back
Top Bottom