Who is our Best Player?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

For me it's probably Neil Collins, at least until the final month or so of the season where his form inevitably drops off a cliff.

He wasn't the complete player. He was, however, the one player in the squad with the ability to pick a pass between or behind the opposition. We absolutely have to replace him with a new face.

How many games do you see a season?

There are no "complete" players in division three anyway. He was the closest we had by a long stretch.

Sorry but i missed the email, but Have we turned this into a number of games watched pissing contest? Second half of last season I didn't see any and this season I've not seen the KMac masterclass against the mighty Notts County. However, before that I was coming home every 2-4 weeks and coinciding my trips back with Blades games. I didn't see the play off final v Huddersfield, but then again KMac didn't bother with that one either!

So how many games must I see to qualify to comment on KMac? :)

Now that we've got that out of the way... On to KMac. Personally I thought he was a decent player and had a decent range of passing... But that was it I'm afraid.

Perhaps you think I'm doing him an injustice as he was also playing alongside some poor players. But as I said he was far from the complete midfielder. He often went missing in games, rarely took the game by the scruff of the neck and dominated the opposition. The few times he did, we looked a decent side. But where was he in big games? How often was he effective?

Lets take Michael brown as a comparison. Brown didn't have the same ability to retain possession like KMac, but Brown often dictated the tempo in a game and certainly weighed in with goals and tackles. Perhaps you think that it's unfair to compare the two, but both were playing for promotion chasing sides, both had lesser players around them and both were required to be creative.

Personally I'd rather have a player with a more rounded ability for this league rather than one attribute which is exceptional, the rest average. Perhaps alongside better/ different players KMac will start driving the midfield forward, picking a pass, then moving, trying to force the game/ bully the opposition.

I'm disappointed he's gone, but I understand that there are other options in reserve like Coady and One of the new Mc's which Weir has brought in.

At the moment i'd say Long.

Given the amount of goals being conceded at the moment, I wouldn't pick any of the back 4

Sorry but i missed the email, but Have we turned this into a number of games watched pissing contest? Second half of last season I didn't see any and this season I've not seen the KMac masterclass against the mighty Notts County. However, before that I was coming home every 2-4 weeks and coinciding my trips back with Blades games. I didn't see the play off final v Huddersfield, but then again KMac didn't bother with that one either!

I thought my question was a fairly simple one, not sure why you got so defensive?

I would rather trust the opinion of someone that sees him every week than someone who lives in Switzerland, that's all.

I thought my question was a fairly simple one, not sure why you got so defensive?

I would rather trust the opinion of someone that sees him every week than someone who lives in Switzerland, that's all.

Sorry but I don't see you asking everyone else how many games they see. I've never made any secret of the fact that I'm not there every week. I believe I've seen enough of him over his lane career to develop a reasonable opinion. Was there much of it my last post that you disagreed with?

Because i don't see the blades as much as i want, i also dont comment on games ive not seen or players ive not seen enough of, this is not the same as others on here. I also feel that because i dont see every game i get a different perspective to those that do.

Ps I no longer live in Switzerland :)

Shouldn't this thread be entitled "Who is our Least Worst Player?" ?

Incidentally, and without wanting to jump on the wave of depression bandwagon (which I have now done :() , is this our worst ever side?
I was a bit too young to follow the team that got relegated to Div 4, so in my watching lifetime, I think it is. We were pretty awful around 1999/2000 but had some decent players to lift it above what we have today (Tracey, Curle, W. Quinn, Devlin, Murphy, Woodhouse, Bent, Asaba, D Kelly, Nuddy etc.) .

Now that we've got that out of the way... On to KMac. Personally I thought he was a decent player and had a decent range of passing... But that was it I'm afraid.

Perhaps you think I'm doing him an injustice as he was also playing alongside some poor players. But as I said he was far from the complete midfielder. He often went missing in games, rarely took the game by the scruff of the neck and dominated the opposition. The few times he did, we looked a decent side. But where was he in big games? How often was he effective?

Lets take Michael brown as a comparison. Brown didn't have the same ability to retain possession like KMac, but Brown often dictated the tempo in a game and certainly weighed in with goals and tackles. Perhaps you think that it's unfair to compare the two, but both were playing for promotion chasing sides, both had lesser players around them and both were required to be creative.

Personally I'd rather have a player with a more rounded ability for this league rather than one attribute which is exceptional, the rest average. Perhaps alongside better/ different players KMac will start driving the midfield forward, picking a pass, then moving, trying to force the game/ bully the opposition.

I'm disappointed he's gone, but I understand that there are other options in reserve like Coady and One of the new Mc's which Weir has brought in.

Sadly I think we will see how important he was over the next few months. As others have said he wasn't great but he was as good as we are going to get at this level. He was one of the few who could pass, get on the ball, spread it around and allow us to keep possession. I agree he had faults, did not score, weak for his size, inconsistent to the extreme and of course at times let games drift by; but sadly he was still maybe the one quality player we had left and one of the few who you could see playing higher level (only Maguire and Long maybe are the others now).

The Brown comparison is unfair. That side had Tonge, Jags, McCall, Ndlovu, a real range of strikers and the teams cant be compared in ability. I remember when Blackman went and people said he would not be missed but the goals dried up and so did the chances for the most part. He was one of the few who could create. Ditto for McDonald. Coady is very inexperienced and can't be counted on to be a pivotal player in my opinion. As for the other Mc's; McGinty is a defender and from what I saw of him at York I would not be convinced he is much better than we have (even Williams). McGinn did well v Notts County but then was at fault for 2 goals at Brentford. The jury is still out for and against the new players; I think Brandy will have an impact but seen nothing remarkable in the others that suggest anything more than 'mid table' type players sadly; even at this level.

Those thinking we will just go out and sign a player that can do things that McDonald did (and have his ability) I think are sadly mistaken. Maybe we find others that can do things he could not but at this level and for funds we will have (lets be honest most of us in our hearts know it will only have been a couple of hundred grand at most and how much of this will Weir see?) we will probably be a poorer side at the end of August than the one before McDonald left. Just in my opinion. Overrated maybe? Ineffective a lot of the time? Maybe? But he will missed in the same way Lowton, Quinn, Blackman were. Steadily we keep losing our better players; do not replace them and steadily we keep falling further away from promotion and any chance of getting back too the Championship.

Deadbat i don't think the brown comparison is unfair as I'm not comparing the teams, but the players themselves.

Brown did not pass the ball as well but I'd say he was sharper on and off the ball. I wouldn't say he read the game better, but he had greater anticipation and he took risks/ had a go.

Perhaps if you wanted to say that brown was more experienced in his best season for us, then I'd agree the comparison is unfair.

As for replacing kmac, I'll paraphrase alcoblade, that the replacement doesn't have to be a world beater, just slightly better than the rest if this shite division!

The best thing about being rubbish is that you can lose any player without great impact, and replacing them shouldn't be too hard either.

Best players - Long, Collins, ( :cool: ), McGuire, jury out on new lads.

Fortunately you don't need a team full of top players, just competent L1 players, above average spine, and decent management. Then you're at least in with a shout.

UTB

Haha, this really made me laugh. It may have not meant to be funny... But it made me laugh at my own club. Imagine starting a post with 'the best thing about being rubbish...'! What a shambles our club is! Haha

For the record, i think Maguire is our most valuable assett. Not sure if he's the 'best', but probably valued the highest. (Which will be about £200 knowing our club!)

Back
Top Bottom