Who else was unable to get there today???

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Got to my seat at 2:20 in an almost deserted stadium which was strange but saw the traffic as I left the train station so wasn’t too surprised!!.
Only just got home though after a nightmare journey!!. My train at 17:40 was cancelled and also the 18:40 direct to Liverpool. Ended up getting a really busy train to Manchester only to find no trains to Liverpool due to strike action when I got there!!. Ended up having to spend £55 on a taxi to Warrington and then my wife picked me up from there and a 25 car journey finally home. UTB

Hard luck,fella, that's rough !

As an aside, I live near BDTBL and the roads (BL, London Road and all roads leading in) were packed and at a virtual standstill when I walked by at 11am ! Later, players were still running into the club from the carpark at gone 1pm obviously worried that they were going to get fined for being late.

In the pub at 2pm, we heard the referee had only just arrived, and there were suggestions the kick-off was going to be delayed due to this.

It was well publicised that there would be delays ,just set off earlier ,I did by 30 mins ,took me 10 mins longer than usual ,got my usual spot and managed an extra pint and a pie. Winner winner meat pie dinner.
I set off 45 mins early and still missed the first ten but then I do come from West Yorkshire so it’s not just across the city. Ninety minutes to get from motorway into city centre

Hard luck,fella, that's rough !

As an aside, I live near BDTBL and the roads (BL, London Road and all roads leading in) were packed and at a virtual standstill when I walked by at 11am ! Later, players were still running into the club from the carpark at gone 1pm obviously worried that they were going to get fined for being late.

In the pub at 2pm, we heard the referee had only just arrived, and there were suggestions the kick-off was going to be delayed due to this.
I was surprised it wasn’t there were large queues outside when I finally got there

It was well publicised that there would be delays ,just set off earlier ,I did by 30 mins ,took me 10 mins longer than usual ,got my usual spot and managed an extra pint and a pie. Winner winner meat pie dinner.
You were late coming in, greedy twat.

Easier said then done mate when some people have work commitments. Our journey took approx 45 mins longer than usual and with the huge increase in student accommodation around the Lane it just makes common sense to ask for an away fixture that day

Got to my seat at 2:20 in an almost deserted stadium which was strange but saw the traffic as I left the train station so wasn’t too surprised!!.
Only just got home though after a nightmare journey!!. My train at 17:40 was cancelled and also the 18:40 direct to Liverpool. Ended up getting a really busy train to Manchester only to find no trains to Liverpool due to strike action when I got there!!. Ended up having to spend £55 on a taxi to Warrington and then my wife picked me up from there and a 25 car journey finally home. UTB

Fairly certain you should be able to claim that taxi fare back if those train cancellations caused you to miss your onward connection which was the last train.

I missed out on all the mass disruption, but let’s be honest, we have been here for 125 years before all these students have rocked up, and we will be here for a long time after they have gone,

I just hope that a few of them have been spoken to

My daughter messaged me at nine to say she'd just left Sheffield, going to Manchester, but then hadn't a clue how she was going to get to Bolton.

Took us 1.5 hours from oughtibridge, usually around 20 minutes. And missed the first 5 minutes because of the huge queues at the turnstiles.

I don’t understand that tbh.

You can park in lots of places for free within 10 mins walk of the ground.

It was busy today as freshers were in town. But to drive all the way from Hudders and then turn round and go home when you are 10 mins away from the ground with 20 mins to spare? That’s odd to me!
It had taken me almost an hour a half to get from halfway down parkway to just past Midland station. At this point traffic was at a stand still. At current progress it would have taken at least ten mins to get to royal standard. Then probably another twenty to get up st Mary s gate. By which time all parking spaces wud have been taken. Resulting in me then crawling at a snail's pace trying to find somewhere else. Highly unfeasable under the circumstances.

I used to go religiously home and away but kids and work usually takes over my weekends. This week weather wise has been awful which means I can't work so it's hard to get to games when I have to peel myself away to work. Self employment can really suck at times.

I was stuck on the tram coming down Norfolk Park for what seemed like ages and we were packed in like sardines (didn't seem to be many trams moving) Got off the tram at Granville road and traffic was just standing in every direction got to the ground at 2.40 after setting off from Halfway at 1.00pm. MY mate told me there was hardly anyone inside at 2.30pm just crazy today.
We got the tram just before yours and had no probs whatsoever..

I knew in advance what it would be like so made sure I set off in plenty of time, and also took a different route through town to get to my usual parking spot. As a result we were in the pub for 1.30 (after setting off from Stocksbridge at 12.20)

I don't know if anyone else noticed this as well but town itself seemed absolutely mental with pedestrians/shoppers, even more so than usual on a Saturday.
I noticed this walking along The Moor after the game, it seemed incredibly busy.

It was well publicised that there would be delays ,just set off earlier.

And that's a large part of the problem. They can't blame 'Fresher's Week' for the appalling delays on public transport throughout the UK on almost every day of the week. Knowing I had a lot of stuff to do this week, I thought I'd 'treat' myself to a 7-day pass on Worst Bus (never again). It got off to a bad start last Sunday when I offered a £20 for a £14 pass. 'I've got no change.' said driver. Contactless? 'Not for seven day passes.' So I walked. I use the 51 from Lodge Moor and there's been fuck-ups on every single day. I'm not talking a few minutes late - around an hour or no bus at all (despite the utter fiction displayed on the boards). Absolutely no buses after the Brum game, so had to get a taxi home. Friday morning to go into town. 08:50. 'Peak Time'. 45 minute wait. Yesterday I was at the bus stop at 12:45 - no bus in sight (but plenty of cars on the deserted road) after an hour, not even going to the terminus at Redmires where 2 or 3 buses like to park up and waste half an hour before coming back down in convoy.

So I missed the match yesterday. I did set off (ridiculously) early and would - in hindsight - have walked the 4 miles to BDTBL, but I expected delays, not the total disappearance of a bus service. So this week I've heard 'Fresher's Week', 'the weather', 'roadworks' and 'football traffic' among the excuses given for the non-appearance of buses. Funny how none of these cause delays to the endless stream of 'Sorry - not in service' buses going back to the depot. It should say 'Not sorry. We want to clock off, so fuck you!'

At least Sheffield won't be a no-go zone today. Oh, hang on! A bunch of self-obsessed twats will be clogging the roads on a 10k run. It'll be great working with them tomorrow as they drone on about 'best times' blah, blah.

My suggestions for the future?

• Scrap Fresher's Week. In fact, scrap universities. Just take the mugs' money and post them their degree certificate. They all get them anyway.

• Don't rely on Worst Bus. Ever.

I set off early but took 2 hours from M1 to ground along Parkway. 30 minutes after KO. Just in time for Billy’s goal.

It had taken me almost an hour a half to get from halfway down parkway to just past Midland station. At this point traffic was at a stand still. At current progress it would have taken at least ten mins to get to royal standard. Then probably another twenty to get up st Mary s gate. By which time all parking spaces wud have been taken. Resulting in me then crawling at a snail's pace trying to find somewhere else. Highly unfeasable under the circumstances.

Ah ok I understand why you felt like you did. It's a bit like missing the start of a film eh? I don't like missing the start of a game either. Although some twats near me obviously prefer it!

I suppose you could have parked it in the railway station Q-Park place if you were near there - although that would cost you a few quid - but that may have been your best bet - assuming you could get into it? I picked up my son from the station on Friday night about 8pm and it was rammed - probably for the same reason - students on the move!

In terms of parking spaces - I nearly always park in the same place for free - and it's 10 mins walk to the ground. I rolled up there at 2.30pm and had no problem parking. The 5 mile journey from home to there took me 25 minutes - it normally takes about 15 minutes. So longer than usual. But knowing the students are in town I avoided any of the major routes into the city. That may not have been so easy for you coming from Hudders - especially if you hadn't known about the students being in town.

For future, one option may be to come in via the A629/A61, but head out towards Malin Bridge rather than come direct into the city. From there you can pick up Rivelin Valley Road and then head up Hagg Hill towards Manchester Road. You'd then be looking to drop down, via Crosspool and Fulwood, and aim for Sharrow, giving the University areas a wide berth. From the West side of the city it isn't such a big problem, but you have to pick your route carefully to avoid being near the University campus or the residential areas.

Anyhow, traffic aside, let us welcome these lovely students with open arms to our city. Because the University is one of the few reasons why folks from outside of Sheffield come here - and if it wasn't for the University God knows what state Sheffield would be in.

Horrid on the trams as well. One had broken down near Granville Road which was just adding to the chaos around town. I squeezed onto one which was 30 minutes late so absolutely rammed. A normal 20 minute journey into town took around 45, in dangerously cramped conditions. I don't know if anyone else noticed this as well but town itself seemed absolutely mental with pedestrians/shoppers, even more so than usual on a Saturday.
Luckily we hit our seats just as the first ball was kicked. Needed a blood sit down by then though!

Walked to the game, best part of 3 miles, which I often do but trying to get up Fargate was a joke. Can't remember it being so busy for donkeys years.

Walked to the game, best part of 3 miles, which I often do but trying to get up Fargate was a joke. Can't remember it being so busy for donkeys years.

That's what's so good about having students here!

Money-money-money.jpg

And that's a large part of the problem. They can't blame 'Fresher's Week' for the appalling delays on public transport throughout the UK on almost every day of the week. Knowing I had a lot of stuff to do this week, I thought I'd 'treat' myself to a 7-day pass on Worst Bus (never again). It got off to a bad start last Sunday when I offered a £20 for a £14 pass. 'I've got no change.' said driver. Contactless? 'Not for seven day passes.' So I walked. I use the 51 from Lodge Moor and there's been fuck-ups on every single day. I'm not talking a few minutes late - around an hour or no bus at all (despite the utter fiction displayed on the boards). Absolutely no buses after the Brum game, so had to get a taxi home. Friday morning to go into town. 08:50. 'Peak Time'. 45 minute wait. Yesterday I was at the bus stop at 12:45 - no bus in sight (but plenty of cars on the deserted road) after an hour, not even going to the terminus at Redmires where 2 or 3 buses like to park up and waste half an hour before coming back down in convoy.

So I missed the match yesterday. I did set off (ridiculously) early and would - in hindsight - have walked the 4 miles to BDTBL, but I expected delays, not the total disappearance of a bus service. So this week I've heard 'Fresher's Week', 'the weather', 'roadworks' and 'football traffic' among the excuses given for the non-appearance of buses. Funny how none of these cause delays to the endless stream of 'Sorry - not in service' buses going back to the depot. It should say 'Not sorry. We want to clock off, so fuck you!'

At least Sheffield won't be a no-go zone today. Oh, hang on! A bunch of self-obsessed twats will be clogging the roads on a 10k run. It'll be great working with them tomorrow as they drone on about 'best times' blah, blah.

My suggestions for the future?

• Scrap Fresher's Week. In fact, scrap universities. Just take the mugs' money and post them their degree certificate. They all get them anyway.

• Don't rely on Worst Bus. Ever.

Thanks for sharing that with us Mr Haus.

So tell us, how did it make you feel?

If I HAVE to drive I always park at Meadowhall and get the train in.

Free parking, plenty of trains and only about 6 minutes on the train.

Beats the hassles of traffic and finding parking near the ground.

Yesterday I just got the train as usual although the Northern strike was a hassle from Leeds to Morley after the game.

I missed out on all the mass disruption, but let’s be honest, we have been here for 125 years before all these students have rocked up, and we will be here for a long time after they have gone,

I just hope that a few of them have been spoken to

The forum bullies are attending to this as we speak....

Set off from Donny 12:30. Stopped in Rotherham to pick up and we’re parked up on Granville Road and drinking a pint outside Clubhouse at 1:45. Wasn’t that bad

Left glossop at 1230. Had to abandon car on side street and walk 2 miles . F$$$ sciatica was murder walking

Left glossop at 1230. Had to abandon car on side street and walk 2 miles . F$$$ sciatica was murder walking
Police are now seeking the owner of a car abandoned on a side street near Sheffield. The driver was last seen limping off in the direction of Bramall Lane.

Back
Top Bottom