Which United players from the last 30 years could have gone on to play for England?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

So here's a pointless thought exercise that arrived to me during the dullest hours of my work from home today. Which United players from England did you think at the time, or you believe in retrospect, could have gone on to play for the national team had things worked out differently? So mostly those that started with us, or joined early on in their careers.

From the 21st century Michael Tonge leaps out, had he perhaps got that Liverpool move.
He was special for a time wasn’t he? Remember the cup game v Liverpool and the media were in a frenzy. With Jag’s commitment, personality and intelligence he’d have made it big.
Reminds me of the Liverpool chant to Beardsley when he moved to Everton “what a waste of talent”!!

Jacob mellis had he not gone to Chelsea so young stayed a few more years with the blades so he was more mature and grounded when his opportunity came. He was a hell of a talent at youth level. Diego in the same category if he chooses England over Italy he doesn’t pick up that injury and then who knows.

JOC if he’d not picked up that injury he’d be at the euros right now.

Terry Kennedy could have gone all of the way if it wasn't for his knee. He was better than Harry, but I don't think he plays at all any more.

Terry Kennedy could have gone all of the way if it wasn't for his knee. He was better than Harry, but I don't think he plays at all any more.
It really annoys me to see the likes of Ravel Morrison waste their careers away when Tel’s career was cut short at such a young age in the manner it was. I personally think Harry’s composure on the ball stood him aside from Tel, but I take your point, he would have had a fine career but for his knee injury.

Always thought Brooks would call for England (without injury could be up there with Foden, Sancho imo)

Slew looked destined for the top n all.

and i will call it now... Jebbison will get caps for england
Brooks wanted to play for Wales not England.

Only played for England youth due to a misunderstanding.

Hopefully Jebbison does make it for England.

I thought Dane Whitehouse could have played for his country if he was ambitious enough. He was an fantastic established top flight/ premier league player but playing for the Blades was his dream come true. Outside of the 30 years then Woody tops the list who I saw. An absolute travesty
And len badger…….

Always thought Kilgallon and Hulse if he had stayed healthy had a shot whilst McLaren was England manager of at least making a squad

I've only ever predicted 2 players would go on to play for England after a few games.

Brian Deane and Gary Brazil.

Billy Tightshirt

Forget Maldini, Matterazzi, Baresi and Gentile being 'hard', they wouldn't have known what hit them; literally.

One of the best centre half performances I saw was by tel in the 3-0 win at qpr, Charlie Austin never got a kick
That picture of him celebrating our goal with Charlie Austin close by was priceless. Austin was being paid probably ten times what he was and Kennedy played him off the fucking park.

pommpey

Hulse if he'd not got injured (it was rumoured he was going to be called up, IIRC).

I’d have loved Brian Deane to find the fountain of youth a fantastic player with heart and a genuine soul who imo fitted our club like a glove with his hard work and determination Tony Currie he wasn’t but he was in the shadow of nobody.

Yeah I thought Lord Brown the minute I read the title of the thread Pomps.

My favourite ever Blades player. He had it all but unfortunately for him in an era of Gerrard, Lampard, Scholes etc.
As much of a blades legend that he is. There was a fair amount of players between him and the the likes of Scholes, Gerrard and Lampard.

Dane Whitehouse, if he had been at a more ‘fashionable‘ club he would have played for England in the mid to late 90s without the injury especially if you remember how England was struggling to find a left footed midfielder at that time

Can you elaborate please? I'm not sure how you can turn up at the wrong country's training camp due to a misunderstanding
He wasn't aware Wales called him up to their squad for the same tournament.

He already made commitments to join the England squad when he found out.

Dane Whitehouse, Matt Kilgallon and Steve Kabba (the version that played against us on loan for Grimsby)

1. Simon Tracey
2. Kyle Naughton
3. Wayne Quinn
4. Curtis Woodhouse
7. Michael Tonge
8. Michael Brown
9. Rob Hulse (at a push)
10. Brian Deane
11. Dane Whitehouse

I thought all these may have made some full squads for non-friendly matches had they had a change in one or more of attitude, fitness, luck or (let’s be honest, the main reason) club.

There were two that did move on quickly enough though, meaning that the centre half spots are missing due to them becoming regulars…

As for filling these with other names - Kennedy wasn’t anywhere near good enough. Nor was Kilgallon.

I saw Lee Morris and Curtis Woodhouse dovetailing brilliantly as teenagers. Morris was a serious talent.

But when you compare the lifestyle of Harry Kane or Frank Lampard, to these two lads…. If you’ve not got the boring football geek thing going, you’re toast.
Woodhouse could've gone a lot further in football but has made no secrets that his heart wasn't in it. He's a very strange one because it must take some incredible talent and ability to make such a good go of two very different professional sports, and it's sad that he never reached the heights he might have in either.

When we played the kids against Rotherham that time, I was convinced Connor Dimaio would go on to be an International.

Now 25 and playing for Boston in the National League North.

I should definitely not become a scout

Michael Brown. No idea why he never made it, apart from the fact that the England midfield was pretty much sorted back then.

As a playmaker and a goalscorer, he was fucking excellent.

pommpey
He explained it himself somewhere, he didn't back himself in comparison to the similar types of player in the Prem and Spurs at the time, so while he was at Spurs turned himself into an agricultural, kick em and hurt em, bastard of a midfielder.

I think had he never changed his game he'd have had a better career, shame really.

He explained it himself somewhere, he didn't back himself in comparison to the similar types of player in the Prem and Spurs at the time, so while he was at Spurs turned himself into an agricultural, kick em and hurt em, bastard of a midfielder.

I think had he never changed his game he'd have had a better career, shame really.
Brown scored more league goals (16) in that 02/03 season, than he did in the following 13 seasons of his career added together.

Back
Top Bottom