Where does Billy Sharp rank?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Not really.

Sharp's job is to score goals and he scores more goals than any other player at our club.

What else do you want him to do exactly?

When he's not scoring goals? Stop wrestling the centre halves, stop falling over and pass the ball to a red shirt. Sorry, but more often than not, the move breaks down when it's fed into his feet.

Again, just my opinion.

When he's not scoring goals? Stop wrestling the centre halves, stop falling over and pass the ball to a red shirt. Sorry, but more often than not, the move breaks down when it's fed into his feet.

Again, just my opinion.
Do you ever watch ? last Sunday for instance the set up in Freemans goal ,as well as his own.

Sharp has 59 league goals. 21 players have scored more than this for United.

He's actually joint 22nd with Walter Bennett (a forward from the Edwardian era) and Gil Reece (who many will remember) also on 59.

Billy Dearden (61) and Mick Jones (63) need to be passed to break into the top 20...

Harry Johnson 201
Alan Woodward 158
Keith Edwards 143/144
Jimmy Dunne 143
Doc Pace 140
Fred Tunstall 129
Billy Gillespie 127
Jimmy Hagan 117
Jock Dodds 113
Joe Kitchen 105
Jack Pickering 102
Alf Ringstead 101
Arthur Brown 100
Brian Deane 93
Harold Brook 89
Derek Hawksworth 88
Fred Priest 68
Bobby Barclay 67
Colin Morris 67
Mick Jones 63
Billy Dearden 61
Wheres OG ?

Do you ever watch ? last Sunday for instance the set up in Freemans goal ,as well as his own.

I do, but there's no Westfield Stand at Bristol.

You can call Conor Sammon a goalscorer then based on his double at Peterboro.... You can provide evidence to fuel any debate.

Like I have said, it's only an opinion.

Or his key role in the Brooks goal in the Burton game. Or his crosses for Clarke to nod home in front of the Kop.

This “just a goalscorer” thing has persisted quite a while. There is no doubt that he has issues with consistency at times (plenty of the squad do), but it’s pretty obvious that he does do more than just tap an effort in from the 6 yard box. He of course also has his limitations – lack of pace, a tendency to too readily look for free-kicks (though without the diving tendency of say Brooks) etc.

Again, just my opinion.

Sharp got 4 assists this season. Not bad for a striker who breaks down every move.

Just for comparison, Matej Vydra, Lewis Grabban and Britt Assombalonga only managed 5 assists between them all season.

"Striker Billy Sharp is too strikery for my liking"

Welcome to Sheffield United....

You've got to admire the Life of Brian approach of the Billy slashers.

Apart from taking a pay cut and dropping a division to rejoin us, and scoring all those goals and saving us from League Two and captaining us to a 100 point title winning season and giving his all for the club he loves every time he pulls the shirt on, what has Billy Sharp ever done for us?

Sharp got 4 assists this season. Not bad for a striker who breaks down every move.

Just for comparison, Matej Vydra, Lewis Grabban and Britt Assombalonga only managed 5 assists between them all season.

...and Vydra cost £8m, Grabban is on loan from Premiership Bournemouth and Assombalonga cost £15m.

Another thing to note about Sharp's goalscoring - I think his 204 English league goals are currently the second highest of any active player. Wayne Rooney, who has 208, is first. So if Rooney shuffles off to the US, Sharp takes the lead.

Sharp is third on the list of league goals scored this century: Rickie Lambert, who retired earlier this year, is the other player ahead of him. Lambert finished with 219.

Bumping this thread to note that Billy's record breaker today was his 88th Blades league goal, which ties him with Derek Hawksworth, our left winger for most of the 1950s, for 16th on the all time list.

One more will tie him with Harold Brook, our centre forward of similar vintage.

Bumping this thread to note that Billy's record breaker today was his 88th Blades league goal, which ties him with Derek Hawksworth, our left winger for most of the 1950s, for 16th on the all time list.

One more will tie him with Harold Brook, our centre forward of similar vintage.

Only 5 more to match connor sammon

Promotion to the PL would surely be the icing on the cake of what has been, no doubt, a terrific career.

And the cherry on the bun would be a match winning performance at the Sty ;)

FFS don’t get injured Bill :)

UTB

Back
Top Bottom