When Woody defied Leeds for 81 minutes November 11th 1967

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

That was an astonishing performance; I had forgotten that he said he had never played in goal before. Like Jagielka, he looked pretty comfortable in the role.

I also remember the match. The crowd taunted Leeds fans about signing Mick Jones when another Mick scored for us “ You bought the wrong one”, I seem to recall it was chucking it down and muddy. Silent will now tell me it was a baking hot sunny clear day LOL

I also remember the match. The crowd taunted Leeds fans about signing Mick Jones when another Mick scored for us “ You bought the wrong one”, I seem to recall it was chucking it down and muddy. Silent will now tell me it was a baking hot sunny clear day LOL
I was only 5 then and wasnt a regular attender until January 1970. I did go to a few games in the late 1960s but only remember Norwich and Cardiff matches in Sept 1969

I was at the game, a youngster with my Dad. Its the only game where I saw Dad lose it with opposition fans. As the newspaper clippings said we hadn't won for weeks since we sold Mick Jones to Weeds scum. We beat Revies cheats and they were there in their thousands expecting us to roll over and give them the points. Woody went up a new hero status level after the game as he looked assured between the sticks.

We caught the bus into town after the game. It was full of Weeds scum downstairs saying they were the better team. Dad told them they must have watched a different game, Weeds were a set of cloggers and they should stop moaning. Cue silence for the rest of the journey as a little Blade wearing his scarf and holding onto his rattle was brimming with pride that his old man had stood up to that lot.

The euphoria was short lived within a couple of weeks Wragg and the Board sold us down the river again selling Birchenall to Chelsea which eventually resulted in relegation at the end of the season. M-I-C-K Hill never had the same ring to it as the original Mick Jones chant but it was sung loud and proud all around the Lane that day.

Was at St James’ Park, Exeter, but cannot remember the score !

No wonder they were away at Brentford on that day, but Yorkshire was a bit far for a student !!

Was at St James’ Park, Exeter, but cannot remember the score !

No wonder they were away at Brentford on that day, but Yorkshire was a bit far for a student !!
Are you replying to the right thread? Am confused

he also scored the equaliser at swillsbro in jan 68 after a brilliant run from willie carlin that was another interesting day on wednesdays kop 🙄

That was the day Carlin ran over to the pigs south stand and snogged a woman on the front row in front of us, was it a girl friend, his wife or just a random fan?

Mick Hill was an under rated player a bloke who I worked with was a youngster at Ipswich when Mick Hill was there, he told me Mick suffered from terrible nerves before games and was sometimes physically sick. He went on to say his first touch in the game often dictated how he played a good touch and he would have a decent game but if his first touch of the ball was off then he was rubbish for the rest of the match. Sadly my work acquaintance never made it at Ipswich and ended up back at his home town club Carlisle and didn't do much there either.

That was the day Carlin ran over to the pigs south stand and snogged a woman on the front row in front of us, was it a girl friend, his wife or just a random fan?

Mick Hill was an under rated player a bloke who I worked with was a youngster at Ipswich when Mick Hill was there, he told me Mick suffered from terrible nerves before games and was sometimes physically sick. He went on to say his first touch in the game often dictated how he played a good touch and he would have a decent game but if his first touch of the ball was off then he was rubbish for the rest of the match. Sadly my work acquaintance never made it at Ipswich and ended up back at his home town club Carlisle and didn't do much there either.
yes mick hill was a very underated centre forward and he suffered by having to fill the boots of the best centre forward ive seen at the lane

he also scored the equaliser at swillsbro in jan 68 after a brilliant run from willie carlin that was another interesting day on wednesdays kop 🙄
Another living long in the memory and you’re right it was a lively day on their kop.

I was at the game, a youngster with my Dad. Its the only game where I saw Dad lose it with opposition fans. As the newspaper clippings said we hadn't won for weeks since we sold Mick Jones to Weeds scum. We beat Revies cheats and they were there in their thousands expecting us to roll over and give them the points. Woody went up a new hero status level after the game as he looked assured between the sticks.

We caught the bus into town after the game. It was full of Weeds scum downstairs saying they were the better team. Dad told them they must have watched a different game, Weeds were a set of cloggers and they should stop moaning. Cue silence for the rest of the journey as a little Blade wearing his scarf and holding onto his rattle was brimming with pride that his old man had stood up to that lot.

The euphoria was short lived within a couple of weeks Wragg and the Board sold us down the river again selling Birchenall to Chelsea which eventually resulted in relegation at the end of the season. M-I-C-K Hill never had the same ring to it as the original Mick Jones chant but it was sung loud and proud all around the Lane that day.
When I looked at the lineups I was surprised to see Birchenall played. Losing Jones and Sherman in quick succession did for us that year, though Willie Carlin was a good signing. Leeds seemed to have the same starting line up every week for years.

I remember the game well, thought we were going to lose when woody went in the net, but we fought a magnificent rear guard action, memory is that he did not have a great deal to do, as we defended that well.

I remember the game well, thought we were going to lose when woody went in the net, but we fought a magnificent rear guard action, memory is that he did not have a great deal to do, as we defended that well.
yes one of the highlights of a very dissapointing season although it wouldnt have been had it not been for dick wragg 🤨🤨🤨

Back
Top Bottom