When will our Wobbly Wednesday Day be?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

1973Blade

Reaction score
The date when it is mathematically impossible for Wednesday to overtake us (Arsenal used to call the date Tottenham were unable to catch them in the league 'Totteringham Day').
We are 21 clear with 27 to play for. If we were to beat Forest and Wednesday lose at Leeds on Saturday, then it would all be set up for Good Friday.

Bit arrogant, Arsenal finished above Spurs for decades I think

I know every victory that clubs celebrate now -short of winning the champions League is classed as "tin pot" but I'd like to see the day they can't catch us celebrated in a "Roys View" style. Full of Summer quotes telling us how big the step up is, how they've never heard of our players, how early we will relegated in the season etc etc.

Gets better if Sunderland win before they play owls at home . A win over the pigs would leave them 1 win from putting them in bottom 3 . Plenty of time for owls to snatch 22nd spot

The last time Wendy finished above us in the 2nd tier (when both Sheffield clubs were in the same division) was in 1959

Doesn’t surprise me.
We have an excellent record in the 2nd tier. We’re almost guaranteed to be fighting at the promotion end of the table.
We’ve finished in the top 10 most seasons we’ve played in division 2/ Championship, think it’s about 80%.

I know every victory that clubs celebrate now -short of winning the champions League is classed as "tin pot" but I'd like to see the day they can't catch us celebrated in a "Roys View" style. Full of Summer quotes telling us how big the step up is, how they've never heard of our players, how early we will relegated in the season etc etc.

A personal favourite of mine is the Wednesday fan who before Bouncing Day came out with something along the lines of;

"Sheffield United fans singing Sheffield Wednesday we're coming for you. Aye there's nothing scarier than the thought of John Fleck & Leon Clarke"

:D

Doesn’t surprise me.
We have an excellent record in the 2nd tier. We’re almost guaranteed to be fighting at the promotion end of the table.
We’ve finished in the top 10 most seasons we’ve played in division 2/ Championship, think it’s about 80%.
Out of the 42 seasons in the 2nd tier we have finished in top 10 in 32 of them

Out of the 42 seasons in the 2nd tier we have finished in top 10 in 32 of them
A good point. I have supported United since 1980 and, apart from when we were in the top flight under Bassett, the only years we have finished in the bottom half of the table we have been relegated (I think will need to double check!)

A good point. I have supported United since 1980 and, apart from when we were in the top flight under Bassett, the only years we have finished in the bottom half of the table we have been relegated (I think will need to double check!)

The Battle of Bramall Lane season (year before the Triple Assault year) we finished about 15th.

Seasons we finished lower than 10th when in 2nd tier

1934-35 - 11th
1951-52 - 11th (despite beating champions Wendy 7-3 and 3-1)
1976-77 - 11th
1977-78 - 12th
1978-79 - 20th
1984-85 - 18th
1987-88 - 21st
1999- 2000 - 16th
2001-02 - 13th
2010-11 - 23rd

All sounds rather complicated does all that.

I’m a simple chap :).

So I’ll stick with 5/8/2017, as previous ;).

UTB

Back
Top Bottom