When it mattered that much you couldn’t turn back..

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

5/5/1979. Relegation from the top 2 divisions for the first time in our history losing 1 - 0 at Cambridge. All hell let loose that night ( and before and during the game). Remember a Blade booting a plate glass window and nearly severing his foot. Just felt numb.

Compared to most kids, I didn't really get into watching or playing football until quite late, when I was about 10 or 11. My Dad is a Wednesday fan but he'd fell out with them after they were relegated in 1970 and didn't go. I only knew he 'supported' them when I asked why he was dancing round the house on Boxing Day 1979. At the time it didn't mean anything to me. Then a friend of the family took me to a Blades game v Hull about a month later, though have to admit I think I was more interested in the programme and bovril than watching the game. The next game I went to was the return derby at the Lane and I became more interested. My Grandad actually took me to watch the pigs play Carlisle at the end of that season and I kind of knew then I was a Blade because I realised I didn't care if Wednesday won or lost.

During that summer I started playing football with my mates and by the start of the next season I was a fully fledged Blade, just in time for the worst season in our entire history!

I think the worst moment for me was losing the 1997 play-off final to Palace. I can echo what others have said about the game. Slow, boring, few chances and then Hopkin scored out of the blue with the last kick of the game. I felt numb and have no recollection of exiting the stadium or the long journey home.

These past few seasons have undoubtedly been the best ever times I've ever known supporting the Blades. It's really disappointing that we're on hold, but some things are more important, so stay safe everyone.

UTB!

Lost interest as a teenager. This was rekindled by my lad, Esteemed Forgeblade, who became a Blade through his mad drunken uncle (my ex- brother in law) in the early 90's. We went to a couple of games 96-97, then the play-off at Wembley. Although we lost, that was it. It kindled, or rekindled, something in me which has never gone away (and was always there, rather suppressed, before). Season tickets ever since, nearly 25 years. I wish I'd started earlier, as I missed a lot from being a "late developer ", but it's a huge part of who I am now.
UTB!
The beauty of being a late developer, as I was, is you find your team, out of the blue at an older age. Me a lot older, but just one game and I was hooked. Bradford City away 1990 in the cup. There I was, middle aged but acting like a ten year old newcomer to the game. Butterflies in the stomach before every game, waking up so excited on game day, walking up Shoreham Street and into the ground with a smile on my face. The unbelievable feeling when we scored (recently dumbed down by VAR), the feeling walking out of the ground when we'd won. Waiting for the Green Un to arrive in the post Tuesday. Talking to anyone and everyone about United like a born again Christian, which in Harrogate didn't exactly go down well nearly all Leeds here. Doing childish things like writing SUFC on the dirt on the windscreen of a pigs car I spotted walking home from work. Teaching my two year old grandson 'If you hate Sheffield Wednesday clap your hands' and being so proud of him when he really clapped hard at the end.
Oh how I miss football :(

Born and lived on Norfolk park,, had a great view of BDBL from my bedroom window.. always wanted to know what went on in there.. anyways went to watch The Blades v Wet spam in the late 70's as a 7/8 year old with my uncle n cousins, on the away end side of John St.. we were removed and moved to the Kop as trouble brewed with the away fans.. think The Blades won 3-0. Never felt anything like it when the goals went in.. just knew that was where I would be for the rest of my life.. My other uncle is a Wendy and he took me over there a couple of times, but it just never felt like home.
What a club we have, and recent times have become happy again. Nowhere else would I want to be, my two ex wives will confirm that ;). UTFMB

I was 13 in 1970 and we must have been standing practically next to each other. That was my first season ticket year (£2.50) although my dad had been taking me since 1964. I can't honestly remember my first match except it was at night and I was completely mesmerized.
I can remember my first away game Derby in FA cup going with my dad and uncle being passed to the front of the terrace peering through the railings and staying there through out the match my dad's not well athe moment his memory is going but ask him about United and he'll tell you from Hagen to Currie and Woodward. Woodward always his favourite player UTB and stay safe

Back
Top Bottom