What would your strategy be on contracts?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Champagneblade

Stop moaning and get on with it
Joined
Jan 24, 2010
Messages
15,862
Reaction score
45,299
Now the transfer window has closed it seems to me a priority would be resolving the contracts of those with 6 months or so to run and those who will go into their final year as the season ends.

As we know the club don’t like players to leave for nothing. So the presents a quandary.

Here’s my thoughts, appreciate your own:

2027
Adam Davies - wait until end of season and assess options. Not a position to spend big budget on.
Jamal Baptiste - another I don’t see doing much to make immediate action imperative. Monitor and then either conclude we release or give a couple of years to.

2027
1. Ayew - release
2. Doherty - release
3. Shackleton - release
4. Norrington-Davies - depends on who we retain. Ok back up for me.
5. Rothwell - release
6. Riedewald- release
7. Bamford - quite torn. Would like him to do better and earn an extra year. Not rushing at the moment.
8. Choudhury - might sign on reduced terms to play DM especially as it would be hard to get Phillips for another year.
9. Davies - depends what’s out there, but only offer if not scope to upgrade. Not an area to spend much cash.
10. Baptiste - wait for now. See if he can make an impression and then if he looks like being useful then get him on a 2 or 3 year deal.

2028
1. Cooper - offer new deal asap.
2. Seriki - offer new deal asap. We should have done this when he was injured.
3. Tanganga - sell during January before his value drops and bring a perm replacement in. Kitching (and get a new loan) or Souttar.
4. Burrows - new deal asap or sell in January.
5. Peck - new deal or sell in Jan.
6. Arblaster - reckon he’d be most likely to sign a new deal.
7. Campbell - I’d be in no rush and just see how it goes into next season. If we actually got a bid no issue to let go for a fee. I see more future in Oné at present.
8. McCallum - new deal asap.

So, of the 10 expiring this summer, half I would let go without question and there is a chance for Bamford, RND, Baptiste, Davies, Choudhury to make a case, none of which would we need to go too early on.

More concern on the 2028 expiries; Cooper and Seriki the top two. Then add in McCallum and Peck. It’s possible we cash in on Burrows but him and McCallum stay and then you’d let RND move on and promote McClinchey. Ideally Burrows stats and regains form. Keep Arblaster but I’d be happy if I could get my money back on Tanganga.

Where would you be going with these ones?
 



Think we need to sell Peck ASAP to get the best value of money!
Cooper get him signed as he's a decent young keeper that will only get better!
McCallum get on a new deal ASAP as he's a very good championship player!

This is actually a really depressing topic on a Friday night!!!!
 
Think we need to sell Peck ASAP to get the best value of money!
Cooper get him signed as he's a decent young keeper that will only get better!
McCallum get on a new deal ASAP as he's a very good championship player!

This is actually a really depressing topic on a Friday night!!!!
Cooper hardly young at 26 but definitely need to give him a new contract
 
Assuming we are still a Championship team at the start of the 28/29 season, I think there's only Arblaster who I'd say is definitely still going to be here. The club is in such a temporary position that I'm not sure anyone who'd sign a new deal would be someone we should be desperate to keep
 
Don’t sign anyone else in January and use the money to give everyone due in 2028 except Campbell.
 
I’d agree with all those really. Or at least can’t argue much against.

I’d bin Davies off though for a younger keeper on lower wages. Somehow of a similar profile to Cooper when we signed him. It then negates any risk of Cooper going.
 
There’s very few players I’d actually want to keep at the moment.

Cooper
Peck
Seriki


Some who I wouldn’t mind either way if they stayed or left.

Tanganga
McCallum (would be a keep but injuries)
Arblaster
Bamford
Cannon 😬

As for the rest, it’s not a case of wanting them to leave, more that for the club to have any chance of progressing, the dead wood needs to be jettisoned. It’s the least invested in the squad that I’ve ever been, I felt similar to some of the league one teams in the sense I just didn’t like any of the players.

Wilder inherited a team that was full of wasters 10 years ago, and built a team of absolute warriors. Now we’re back to square one with a squad of wasters.

If 80% of the squad left in the summer I wouldn’t be losing any sleep over that whatsoever.
 

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Back
Top Bottom