What would you realistically be happy with next season?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

This is why I don’t get the whole consolidate idea.

Why would we, as a club, settle for emulating Preston?

We will still have a healthy budget and should be aiming for top 2 and failing that top 6.

We should always be aiming for this.

It absolute waffle

We have a massive advantage over 21 other teams you get one season to go for it we will have the pick of the best prem loans another macatee or MGW and the best wages

We destroyed any chance of staying up by spending barely anything but next year we should be going for it which was the whole reason so we were told

It absolute waffle

We have a massive advantage over 21 other teams you get one season to go for it we will have the pick of the best prem loans another macatee or MGW and the best wages

We destroyed any chance of staying up by spending barely anything but next year we should be going for it which was the whole reason so we were told
Two seasons (like last time) should be aim to be promoted. The rebuild starts this summer.

This is why I don’t get the whole consolidate idea.

Why would we, as a club, settle for emulating Preston?

We will still have a healthy budget and should be aiming for top 2 and failing that top 6.

We should always be aiming for this.

I mean longer term you're absolutely right, the second we stop having the ambition to play at the highest level possible is the second I sack the club off, but I think you need to be a bit pragmatic and recognise that one way or another it's going to be somewhat of a transitional season - we've got a lot of senior players likely coming off the books, and are likely going to need to rely on a lot of the younger players in the squad, or so you'd hope. Also got the issue that we currently have zero PL quality centre backs, and while the ones we've got right now are fine for the Championship, they're getting older and are going to need replacing sooner rather than later. I'd want us to finish as high up the league as possible, but if 24/25 ends up being a mundane mid table season through giving a lot of the younger players the experience at this level they need and we then kick on towards promotion in 25/26 having a much better idea of what gaps we need to fill, I'd be fine with that. If anything, pissing away a load of money on (insert older Championship player with busy rumour mill thread, Lewis O'Brien is probably the one that's due to be bumped but any of them will do) to try the whole "buy best of Championship on big wages" which then falls flat on its face if it works and leaves you with even more expensive aging players if it doesn't is less attractive to me

I mean longer term you're absolutely right, the second we stop having the ambition to play at the highest level possible is the second I sack the club off, but I think you need to be a bit pragmatic and recognise that one way or another it's going to be somewhat of a transitional season - we've got a lot of senior players likely coming off the books, and are likely going to need to rely on a lot of the younger players in the squad, or so you'd hope. Also got the issue that we currently have zero PL quality centre backs, and while the ones we've got right now are fine for the Championship, they're getting older and are going to need replacing sooner rather than later. I'd want us to finish as high up the league as possible, but if 24/25 ends up being a mundane mid table season through giving a lot of the younger players the experience at this level they need and we then kick on towards promotion in 25/26 having a much better idea of what gaps we need to fill, I'd be fine with that. If anything, pissing away a load of money on (insert older Championship player with busy rumour mill thread, Lewis O'Brien is probably the one that's due to be bumped but any of them will do) to try the whole "buy best of Championship on big wages" which then falls flat on its face if it works and leaves you with even more expensive aging players if it doesn't is less attractive to me
I do see what you are saying but nobody is going to wait for us to have a “transitional - we’ll sit this one out, thanks” type season 😉

The following year there will be three more parachute teams and maybe they aren’t looking to take a season to get their house in order. Plus there is always a chance there is an Ipswich to upset the apple cart. Maybe it’s Portsmouth next season?

You could very well be right that I’m being unrealistic but as a newly relegated team, for me the time to bounce back is always now.

It gets progressively harder year by year. We lost out on penalties the first year and the second we got automatic but only by sailing far too close to the wind financially.

There is a spine there in Egan/Robbo and Hamer/Arblaster.

We just need to make sure we have enough know how supporting them to allow some of the promising younger players to flourish - Marsh, Osula, maybe Jebbo. We just need one to become next season’s Morgan Whittaker.

I’m 47 now. I’m not for hanging around anymore. I want my jam now, not tomorrow 🤣

Not feeling embarrassed about the team I support.
The club has conducted business in a shameful and unprofessional manner recently and I’m pretty fed up with it. Pay your bills and put together a squad to be competitive at the level we’re playing at.
I’m a proud Blade and I don’t want our club’s good name to be tarnished any more.
I agree, but I think the squad rebuild will take more than one season. My answer is pay the bills and start the rebuild.

What I want to see is positive progress. The end result isn't the most important thing next season (barring getting relegated again!) We need to see the squad be taken forward.

With so many contracts coming up, it feels like this has a very transitional feel about it. keeping a good core, developing youth getting in some solid signings should leave us with a team capable of strong performances in the championship. This might happen quickly with a good summer transfer window and a team forming together quickly, in which case playoffs or top 2 would be more than feasible, but I think we will need a couple of transfer windows to properly make that happen.

Next time we are looking like being promoted, we should be seeing purchases in January ready for the PL, not a embargo followed by a summer of selling 2 key players.

I don't think there will be as many senior players "coming of the books" as people think, or as many academy players playing week in week out as people think they won't be ready for a long and arduous season in the Championship.
Also we might have Egan back ? CW has said he rates Trusty, and maybe we will keep Holgate ? Baldock and Bogle can alternate (thinking injuries etc), it's really midfield I worry about, that's were we need to strengthen most and possibly up front if McBurnie leaves and of course we won't have BBD.

Let’s not get to fixated on transition too.

You can transition without just standing still.

Arblaster in, Norwood out is transition. We could arguably be better for it.

I still have some hope and I think if anyone can then Wilder will.

I agree, but I think the squad rebuild will take more than one season. My answer is pay the bills and start the rebuild.
Yeah, but being competitive in the Championship is very different to being being competitive in the Prem. We should have more than enough to avoid being sucked into a Championship relegation battle if we act sensibly. This season we've been miles out of our depth.

It absolute waffle

Then why are we having to sell Archer and one other to balance the books?

How in any way shape or form are we better off than 21 other clubs with 16 players out of contract and no little money to spend?

All we'll have is those still on contract, most being the crap we signed last summer, academy kids with little to no Championship experience, some free signings and some expensive loan signings which cause problems after they leave and take up a large chunk of the wage bill.

I just don't get where you're coming from? Sorry.

It a 2 season plan for me (AKA 2 years in the best league ;)) A season of consolidation and finding a squad that is comfortable in an established style, then go for a promotion push in year 2. If it happens in Year 1, so be it but, I'll miss Satdi, Tuesday games coming thick and fast. Lest we forget, there's nothing better than a flowing United, in their pomp, playing twice a week, dominating opposition at The Lane.

I’ll be happy with winning it, nothing less. I’ve never seen us win the Championship so that’s why.

I think that many of our players have assets to do good or even great in Championship. Also hope it to happen and team to play winning, building up attacking football every week. Players get their confidence and morale boosted and hopefully get better in overall.

I wouldn't mind to see few new players coming in to make us even stronger as this season has shown that we are not ready for PL in our current state.

If we are able to rebound back to PL, I hope we have totally different approach in transfer than we had this season.

Yeah, but being competitive in the Championship is very different to being being competitive in the Prem. We should have more than enough to avoid being sucked into a Championship relegation battle if we act sensibly. This season we've been miles out of our depth.
With Money committed to improvements, we will have to rely on old hands and youth. While that should be enough to avoid relegation, I don’t think anyone expects automatic promotion next season.

Think a lot of season ticket holders will at least appreciate having a team they don’t hate watching every week.

Let’s be honest, an energetic young team that plays good football in the top half of the championship would be a refreshing improvement on the colossal turd of a team they’ve been subjected to this season.

I do see what you are saying but nobody is going to wait for us to have a “transitional - we’ll sit this one out, thanks” type season 😉

The following year there will be three more parachute teams and maybe they aren’t looking to take a season to get their house in order. Plus there is always a chance there is an Ipswich to upset the apple cart. Maybe it’s Portsmouth next season?

You could very well be right that I’m being unrealistic but as a newly relegated team, for me the time to bounce back is always now.

It gets progressively harder year by year. We lost out on penalties the first year and the second we got automatic but only by sailing far too close to the wind financially.

We just need to make sure we have enough know how supporting them to allow some of the promising younger players to flourish - Marsh, Osula, maybe Jebbo. We just need one to become next season’s Morgan Whittaker.

I’m 47 now. I’m not for hanging around anymore. I want my jam now, not tomorrow 🤣
I've been following whittaker for a while now along with the Plymouth keeper .
Whittaker has been outstanding he could be our next Brian deane .
If we get rid of a hugecnumber of our players I'd take whittaker the Plymouth keeper and ohare from Coventry and we have one hell of a team

I'll believe it when I see it with re: the training ground & CAT1 facilities. I don't see where the funding is coming from.
In footballing monetary terms, the development of facilities and infrastructure, will amount to signing a 32 year old centre half on a four year contract.

Priority number one; getting the injury situation sorted out. We have been at a huge disadvantage all season not being able to play a settled team, particularly in defence. Baldock, Bogle, Basham, Egan, Robinson, Lowe, Norrington Davies all missing at the moment, plus long term absences of Brewster and Jebbison and only intermittent appearances by McBurnie who we have missed more than we admit.

1. New safe standing kop with subsidised catering. To be built and completed in the closed season.
2. Proven goalscorer, midfield and defence.
3. Free Wurthers and heated blankets for the south stand.
4. Monorail linking the city centre, ground and new airport.
5. Exits blocked until 5pm to stop early leavers 'avoiding the rush'.
6. That bloke who sits near me and shouts random stuff, to get moved 5 rows away.

Priority number one; getting the injury situation sorted out. We have been at a huge disadvantage all season not being able to play a settled team, particularly in defence. Baldock, Bogle, Basham, Egan, Robinson, Lowe, Norrington Davies all missing at the moment, plus long term absences of Brewster and Jebbison and only intermittent appearances by McBurnie who we have missed more than we admit.

Only Robinson & Brewster likely to return from all those players mentioned.

👶🏻

And none of those ( bar maybe Baldock) would have made any difference at this level

Ooo just thought.. new ownership. Was a somewhat supporter of the prince. The deduction has changed my opinion of that.

Back
Top Bottom