What would you realistically be happy with next season?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

This isn't like last time we got relegated. People said that squad was broken, that the system needed completely changing and all that, but the reality was we had a top Championship squad and a great chance of bouncing straight back. This time, with all the players out of contract, I think it's more about putting down the foundations for the longer term and not getting involved in a relegation scrap. We probably need to not re-sign the higher earners who are out of contract, even if they are among our best players, and if we get decent offers for players like Anel or Souza, we take them and rebuild.

Obviously, if we ever get a new (ideally wealthy) owner, then things are different.

Of course we want to go back up, ideally automatically and we have as much chance as most of our potential rivals. If Wilder is our manager, he will certainly think that way. But it can't be at the expense of everything else, purely short term approach, like last time. What I would like to see us do is show we can replenish the squad, improve players, be able to sell a couple for a good profit....and then the big if, re-invest the funds in the team in a way that strengthens, rather than weakens it. What position and division that leaves us in, I don't know, but it is what gives us the best chance of succeeding within our means and seeing good footballers come through the doors at Bramall lane and entertain us for our money....and it can't be done by clicking your fingers overnight.

Pigeons to shit in oppo goalkeepers eyes.
Seriously though, I hope in the summer we can rebuild a bit with a couple of experienced loans and some of the youngsters.
Main thing is to get the confidence of the club up in summer, not just the team.
Be challenging for place in the top six.
Go for it straight from the start, up and at em attitude

I can't see us being anywhere near it with the upheaval that needs to happen, the lack of funding, a poor ownership model and the management and recruitment team we have in place.

I'll be thankful to avoid a relegation fight and for us to miraculously seem like we are future proofing the squad and have a bit of a plan.

If we bring in a bunch of promising young EFL players to replace the likes of Foderingham, Baldock, Basham, Egan, RND, Anel, Souza, McBurnie etc, we develop an on-field identity and show some commitment towards it... then that's as good as what I think is reasonable to expect.

My fear is that the gross incompetence at board level will impact everything.
I don't trust that they know what they're doing and I don't think Wilder is anything like the manager that took us to two promotions in his first spell here.
I think good football management has covered up the boards mess for a few years now but that's all about to run out with the squad leaving.

I struggled to enjoy our promotion last season as I could see this mess on the horizon.
I stated that I'd be happy with this season if we started the rebuild early, brought in a squad capable of winning promotion should we rbe relegatrd and tied our core players to longer term deals.
Unfortunately, whilst Luton built a squad with relegation in mind, we gambled on a bunch of young foreigners in probably the worst transfer window I can remember.
We sold our two best players, and very few of our lads signed new deals.
Oh, and we have a points deduction...
Spot on matey

I can't see us being anywhere near it with the upheaval that needs to happen, the lack of funding, a poor ownership model and the management and recruitment team we have in place.

I'll be thankful to avoid a relegation fight and for us to miraculously seem like we are future proofing the squad and have a bit of a plan.

If we bring in a bunch of promising young EFL players to replace the likes of Foderingham, Baldock, Basham, Egan, RND, Anel, Souza, McBurnie etc, we develop an on-field identity and show some commitment towards it... then that's as good as what I think is reasonable to expect.

My fear is that the gross incompetence at board level will impact everything.
I don't trust that they know what they're doing and I don't think Wilder is anything like the manager that took us to two promotions in his first spell here.
I think good football management has covered up the boards mess for a few years now but that's all about to run out with the squad leaving.

I struggled to enjoy our promotion last season as I could see this mess on the horizon.
I stated that I'd be happy with this season if we started the rebuild early, brought in a squad capable of winning promotion should we rbe relegatrd and tied our core players to longer term deals.
Unfortunately, whilst Luton built a squad with relegation in mind, we gambled on a bunch of young foreigners in probably the worst transfer window I can remember.
We sold our two best players, and very few of our lads signed new deals.
Oh, and we have a points deduction...
I can't see anything beyond this, I'm right there with you. And I'm a sodding clapper!

I have zero faith that we have the finances, staffing, or resources to do anything like the level of forward planning and recruitment that we will need.

Whereas Luton, IMO, will fly.

Bar the top 4 the championship is bobbins like it was when we cruised it with a very average side and poor manager in Hecky

Hopefully Leeds/saints/Leicester go up and the Ipswich manager gets a prem job then it'll be much easier

For me anything other than promotion is poor

Getting some decent players in, and making a go of it!
We need to build a team/squad for the following season in my eyes, and I hope that's what Wilder does.
Hopefully we finish top 10, not to bothered about going back up, but, it would help with cash and attraction of players, but, I'd imagine it would end up being similar to this season if we return to early.

I’d be happy to see the new training facilities completed and up and running, a Cat 1 Academy established at Shirecliffe and a top ten finish.

I do not think we could possibly have a team capable of competing in the Premier league, in less than 4 to 5 years, without being taken over by some multi billionaire.

When we do go back, I’d like to think it will be with a mixture of home grown talent and experienced older heads. It’d be great to watch such a team develop over the next few seasons, before reaching a level whereby they could genuinely compete in the EPL.

However shit this seasons been, I do think the training ground development and plans for the Academy are huge positive steps in the right direction and will in the years ahead, hopefully be seen as the catalyst behind an upturn in the clubs fortunes.

As others said, it should be a weaker Championship than usual and we have the benefit of parachute payments so we should be playoffs at the minimum.

Was looking at Huddersfield's recently published accounts the other day and it's really painful as the benefit of parachute payments roll off (22-23 was the first year without them). Huge adjustment to the wage base needed and sales of players.

1713307400241.png

I’d be happy to see the new training facilities completed and up and running, a Cat 1 Academy established at Shirecliffe and a top ten finish.

I do not think we could possibly have a team capable of competing in the Premier league, in less than 4 to 5 years, without being taken over by some multi billionaire.

When we do go back, I’d like to think it will be with a mixture of home grown talent and experienced older heads. It’d be great to watch such a team develop over the next few seasons, before reaching a level whereby they could genuinely compete in the EPL.

However shit this seasons been, I do think the training ground development and plans for the Academy are huge positive steps in the right direction and will in the years ahead, hopefully be seen as the catalyst behind an upturn in the clubs fortunes.

I'll believe it when I see it with re: the training ground & CAT1 facilities. I don't see where the funding is coming from.

Prince to sell

Anything else is can kicking and death by a thousand cuts
I agree..... this season has been a total embarrassment. He's had 5 years of the Prem money gravy train other club owners would die for . Yet some of our fans ....or paid plants posing as fans....drone on about poor Abdullah has spent all his family money & is now destitute. He is likely to get a points deduction next time we are in the Prem. As all Prem money is a grant to enable clubs & recently relegated clubs to invest in the purchase of Prem quality players & match the wages of most Prem teams. It is not to pay into United World's Swiss bank account so we have to have never ending loans & freebies. The poor Abdullah brigade must be paid plants or work for the club. As no self respecting Blade would swallow his self pity lying crap.
QUOTE="Bell4, post: 5102776, member: 16398"]
Prince to sell

[/QUOTE]

I agree..... this season has been a total embarrassment. He's had 5 years of the Prem money gravy train other club owners would die for . Yet some of our fans ....or paid plants posing as fans....drone on about poor Abdullah has spent all his family money & is now destitute. He is likely to get a points deduction next time we are in the Prem. As all Prem money is a grant to enable clubs & recently relegated clubs to invest in the purchase of Prem quality players & match the wages of most Prem teams. It is not to pay into United World's Swiss bank account so we have to have never ending loans & freebies. The poor Abdullah brigade must be paid plants or work for the club. As no self respecting Blade would swallow his self pity lying crap.
QUOTE="Bell4, post: 5102776, member: 16398"]
Prince to sell

I bet a 5 minute conversation with you is akin to death by a thousand cuts.

Bar the top 4 the championship is bobbins like it was when we cruised it with a very average side and poor manager in Hecky

Hopefully Leeds/saints/Leicester go up and the Ipswich manager gets a prem job then it'll be much easier

This is why I don’t get the whole consolidate idea.

Why would we, as a club, settle for emulating Preston?

We will still have a healthy budget and should be aiming for top 2 and failing that top 6.

We should always be aiming for this.

For me it would be not being relegated again and having bought some good young promising players and bringing some through from the youth. Really not bothered about going back up again without having a pot to urinate in.
Promotion

This season has proved that no matter how shit you are in the PL, you should be in the mix in the Champ. We're no worse than Burnley. So Promotion is what I'll be happy with, top 6 minimum requirement.

All part of the current confusion at the club is, that list of players

Last year of deal, out of contract, out of contract, 10 career games, 30 career games, potentially up for sale, definitely leaving

If they are up for it add - definitely leaving, out of contract, out of contract

I bet in August you said Southampton would piss it in top 2 😴 It's not football manager fallowfield, best players and size of the club doesn't mean guarantees.

Our target should be to lay down foundations to finish top 2 in 2 years time.

That means building a style working as a team and developing the young players.

Next season I expect us to definitely be top half and either just sneak in or just miss out on the play-offs. Wouldn’t it be great if we were promoted via the play-offs, there would be little pressure in the final because some Blades might prefer we weren’t promoted.

As long as we’re showing progress and building a well oiled effective team then I’ll be satisfied.

My main concern is the manager. No doubt we’ll give Wilder until Christmas but if we’re bottom half then suspect we’ll change manager again and it’s not good to keep changing managers so often.

As crap as we've been, I reckon that we're still better than the vast majority of teams in the Championship this year and whoever will be in it next year.

Top 6 should be the aim. We'll offload some players at the end of the season and probably backfill with some youngsters, which might not be a bad thing. In hindsight, we may as well have gone with them from the start as sign some of the rubbish that we have.

I bet in August you said Southampton would piss it in top 2 😴 It's not football manager fallowfield, best players and size of the club doesn't mean guarantees.
They have Leicester and Leeds in the final 4 games. Win their last 4 games and they'll be in top 2.

Even with the funding in place, these two projects would take at least a couple of years to get up and running.
Yep Bettis said two seasons if everything goes to plan and that's only the new training ground part of things not the cat 1 at shirecliffe which currently has no time frame

The Championship is a way more competitive league than the Premiership. With 3/4 games to go the top two is still not decided, the playoffs positions not certain and relegation positions a real scrap. There is clearly a financial gap between those with parachute payments, those who due to recent Premier League seasons are allowed to lose more money and the rest. But that gap can be bridged by good club and team management Luton, Norwich, Coventry, WBA have all shown this.Piss poor management of the club like with Stoke & Watford has the opposite effect. We therefore should start with a bit of an advantage but with our points deduction & running down contracts we are in danger of having a very poor season.

They have Leicester and Leeds in the final 4 games. Win their last 4 games and they'll be in top 2.
But they haven't pissed it in top 2 all season like fallowfield would've predicted.

He slated us and Hecky all last season and I think we did better than saints!

Next season I expect promotion.
Keep a few of the "old Faithfulls" as squad fillers and experience (Norwood, Egan, et al, not all of them!
Let a few go Anel, Souza et al
Bring in a few perm's
Bring in a few loans
Play a few of the Academy lads

That's what I expect to happen not necessarily what I would want to happen!

Anyhow I expect the CW effect to produce a descent team fit for promotion - then probably straight back down - again!!

I hope the pressure from fans and financial pressure to get promoted back to the Premier League don't lead to too much short thinking. A strategy based on Premiership loans and financial gambles will just lead us back to where we are now - miserable, bottom and in long term danger. The club seems to have a successful strategy with developing players through out Academy. That needs to be developed through to getting those players performing for the first team, blooding players but dropping them back out when form and fitness. Key to that is picking the right players to give contracts too and signing a couple of experienced players to supplement this.

I'd be happy with x23 home 3pm sat kick offs (22 if boxing day isn't a sat), scoring a few goals that I can fully commit to celebrating, never seeing Trusty at left wing back again, a keeper who can physically move, the internet connection allowing me to access the ground, having more than 30% possession in games, not starting the season with Ben Osborn as one of our key midfielders, beating the pigs 8-0.

Back
Top Bottom