What would you realistically be happy with next season?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Not feeling embarrassed about the team I support.
The club has conducted business in a shameful and unprofessional manner recently and I’m pretty fed up with it. Pay your bills and put together a squad to be competitive at the level we’re playing at.
I’m a proud Blade and I don’t want our club’s good name to be tarnished any more.

It’s going to be a tough gig if Grbić is between the sticks next season.
More you think about it, the more it was such a stupid deal.

It’s clear they’ve hardly watched him.

We had overseas loan slots available.

If we wanted to freshen up the goalkeeping department and give Wes a bit of a shock, we could have surely loanee someone. Anyone. They would have been better than this lad.

If we wanted to freshen up the goalkeeping department and give Wes a bit of a shock, we could have surely loanee someone. Anyone. They would have been better than this lad.
Signing a shit player instead of loaning him, just glad we only spent £2m and not £22m this time.

Championship is where we will be playing.
Wilder has been brilliant since his return. Hea working with players he doesn't want or good for sheffield united.
The academy is our future but there's no point if we keep selling player after player with talent . .build a team a team around the young lads let wilder bring in his own players like he done with eagon oconell basham for experience .
Our problem is the dickhead owner who caused 3 clubs in his franchise to suffer and now us.
We need fast a new owner who understands we get 30k support .

Top two minimum. Depends on who re-signs and if we can get a Doyle/Mcatee type loan to boost our bare boans squad.

We can't afford mid table as we'll go backwards the year after as previous posters have said.

And relegation will ruin us for years.

I think one thing I’d hope for is to build a new team with players that actually want to be here.

Blaster was at fault for 2 goals but we are fully behind him and I’m more than happy to see him progress as he wants to be here.

I see players jog around like Norwood who don’t want to be here and it’s just infuriating.

Like other posters have said we need a mix of loans and new perm signings more so they we actually have a team that we can get behind.

No disrespect to Ipswich but you want the parachute teams to go back up.

Then you want a PL team to offer McKenna a carrot he can’t refuse.

Ipswich don’t have the same momentum, Luton lose players and Burnley and United repeat 2022/23.

we have to be aiming for automatics.

None of this consolidation bollocks. Consolidate amongst what? West Brom, Norwich, Hull, Coventry, Boro?

Should we be stepping aside to let these teams have a go?

No siree. Luton will once more be shitty Luton, minus Ross Barkley, possible minus their manager, who know? Probably minus a few key players who fancy higher wages.

Not sure Burnley will hold onto all their players, though not clear who their stars are, but Brownhill out of contract will be attractive to a few, if only newly promoted teams.

That’s what we need to be aiming for.

No disrespect to Ipswich but you want the parachute teams to go back up.

Then you want a PL team to offer McKenna a carrot he can’t refuse.

Ipswich don’t have the same momentum, Luton lose players and Burnley and United repeat 2022/23.

we have to be aiming for automatics.

None of this consolidation bollocks. Consolidate amongst what? West Brom, Norwich, Hull, Coventry, Boro?

Should we be stepping aside to let these teams have a go?

No siree. Luton will once more be shitty Luton, minus Ross Barkley, possible minus their manager, who know? Probably minus a few key players who fancy higher wages.

Not sure Burnley will hold onto all their players, though not clear who their stars are, but Brownhill out of contract will be attractive to a few, if only newly promoted teams.

That’s what we need to be aiming for.
I cannot think of recent teams that have basically gone out signed 11 players or so and got promoted. Ipswich as you mention built a strong foundation and gone through the leagues like we did.

With the total lack of planning and poor signings made by Hecky we are left in a bit of a mess.

We are in a very high risk situation and we are relying on our recruitment team. We sacked our recruitment team and we still haven’t replaced them…. Been weeks now and still no sign.

For me it would be not being relegated again and having bought some good young promising players and bringing some through from the youth. Really not bothered about going back up again without having a pot to urinate in.
With the size of budget we’ll carry down from the Premiership avoid relegation next season would be embarrassing.

Yes we’re a small fish in a big pond at the moment but next season that quickly changes. That’s why most championship established teams have parachute payments.

We have to be top 10

At least we should be in or around the play off positions, half the teams in the Championship are poor, plus the teams coming up from league one

I still think it was a favour to his agent

I can't see us being anywhere near it with the upheaval that needs to happen, the lack of funding, a poor ownership model and the management and recruitment team we have in place.

I'll be thankful to avoid a relegation fight and for us to miraculously seem like we are future proofing the squad and have a bit of a plan.

If we bring in a bunch of promising young EFL players to replace the likes of Foderingham, Baldock, Basham, Egan, RND, Anel, Souza, McBurnie etc, we develop an on-field identity and show some commitment towards it... then that's as good as what I think is reasonable to expect.

My fear is that the gross incompetence at board level will impact everything.
I don't trust that they know what they're doing and I don't think Wilder is anything like the manager that took us to two promotions in his first spell here.
I think good football management has covered up the boards mess for a few years now but that's all about to run out with the squad leaving.

I struggled to enjoy our promotion last season as I could see this mess on the horizon.
I stated that I'd be happy with this season if we started the rebuild early, brought in a squad capable of winning promotion should we rbe relegatrd and tied our core players to longer term deals.
Unfortunately, whilst Luton built a squad with relegation in mind, we gambled on a bunch of young foreigners in probably the worst transfer window I can remember.
We sold our two best players, and very few of our lads signed new deals.
Oh, and we have a points deduction...

Last edited:
The trouble is, a club like us can’t really do any decent business early on, as available players will wait till last minute before they have settle for us. Unless we get a new sugar daddy, this season has illustrated to the watching world that for decent players…we’re probably not worth the gamble.

I'd like to think we will be in the promotion mix again. As much as the Premier League is a bit of a waste of time, for anyone outside the top 6, it does provide the income that we need (unless we get a rich owner).

Is Peck the next Ndiaye?, can Osula bring his youth form to the Championship?, who will remain from our current line up and be offered a new deal?

None of us know, yet. Rumblings and anecdotal stuff is that Osborn will be offered a spot and that Norwood already knows he won't be.

I agree with a few other posters, that we need to be promoted within two seasons or we could be staring down the barrel of a gun (unless, again, we get a new owner).

The rebuild can be as exciting as it can scary.

At the end of the day, we all have a simple decision to make; go and support the team, just like we did through thick and thin and the old division four, and six years in League One, or stay at home.

Bit of a stab in the dark without knowing which contracts we renew and what sort of transfer business we do in the summer, but I'd be disappointed with anything lower than a 6th place finish next season.
Exactly this.

My hunch/hope would be top 3. But disappointment lurks around every corner at Bramall Lane...

I honestly think people are dreaming if they think we’re bouncing straight back. We’ve got to build a squad around a bunch of promising kids. The old heart of this team is leaving, and nothing can be achieved without a core of experience.

It’s hard enough to do this rebuild with a pot of cash, never mind with our finances.

That’s not to say I think we’re dropping through. But promotion is such a hard thing to achieve.

PS - to answer the question…. a playoff challenge with a good squad refresh. That’ll do.
We won't let every single out of contract player leave. Generally more expensive to bring new bodies in, for a start.

Keeping Hamer is absolutely essential in my opinion. He can be the difference between us and other teams in the Championship. I'd say Arblaster too but that'd be premature after just a handful of appearances.

Double over the Pigs, finish top, take the Prem money but refuse promotion. :)

Some very unrealistic predictions on this thread. I would take mid table obscurity next season in a heart beat.

I know. The people saying they'd be happy with just avoiding relegation, that aren't being tongue in cheek, are out of their minds

I just want a team that I give a shit about tbh. A squad of players that actually want to be here rather than looking for the next move. I’m not overly fussed where we finish either. I’d like us to be good enough to be towards the top but ultimately I’d like to watch a team that doesnt down tools as soon as we go a goal down.

I’m actually more bothered about a cup run next year than I have been in recent times. If there’s one thing that still brings out that old Bramall Lane hostility, its a big cup game.

The sheer apathy I’ve felt towards this season has been wank and I’d be in no rush to repeat it any time soon.

Top 6, laying the foundations for an assault on the title the following year.

For me it would be not being relegated again and having bought some good young promising players and bringing some through from the youth. Really not bothered about going back up again without having a pot to urinate in.
Minimum…..play offs.
Want….. Champions⚔️

Back
Top Bottom