What we never replaced

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

ReeceofBDTBL

Reaction score
From the first half of the 9th placed season - What Mousset gave us in those two months where he was terrorising defences.

Obviously he was playing like a £50m striker and we aren’t gonna plucking one of those out of thin air any time soon. But it’s still a big clue as to the style of striker we should be looking for to compliment what is a cohesive hard working unit.

A skillful, powerful and pacey forward, doesn’t necessarily have to be an ice cold penalty box striker but a serious direct threat would be the perfect blend to go with the creativity and quality we get from Berge and N’Diaye.

Can’t do any worse than the initial attempts to replace him I.e. Brewster and Burke and obviously Gyokores is out of our price range.

But it’s definitely encouraging to see us linked with the likes of Habib Diallo and even the lad at Rotherham.

Whoever it is, it’s gonna be THE crucial signing this summer.

...it was also based on an unusual tactical style that even took top level coaches and players by surprise.

When that was sussed out and nullified, and our weakness through midfield exploited, we were unable to adapt.

Wilder never tried to adapt or change the tactics.

Hecky, once he put an attacking midfielder in the 3 actually managed to pick up a result or two. No reason to think it’s a complete broken flush at PL level or it wouldn’t be sustainable.

About half the mangers will be different this time round. We’ll have Anel who can provide a bit of what JOC did. And Ndaiye is at least as good as prime Mousset - so we should still have some attacking creativity.

And If we sign some midfielders, no reason to think that won’t be better than lundstram et al. too.

...it was also based on an unusual tactical style that even took top level coaches and players by surprise.

When that was sussed out and nullified, and our weakness through midfield exploited, we were unable to adapt.

Spot on. The PL spend a lot of money and resources on football tactics analysis and formations. They probably have small teams working on such things. Once the initial surprise had gone and Uniteds bespoke tactics analysed and counter tactics put in place, we struggled. The problem was that we didn't evolve what we did that first season and were 'sussed'.

Playing 'Fucking Lundstram' for most games despite him being dogshit and phoning it in every week, certainly didn't help matters either.

9th place was based upon (in no particular order): a fully functioning back 3, a great keeper, Mousset and 10 goals from midfield.
Not even disproving my point at all, and it’s not as if the target next season is 9th place

None of you have disproven that the best we ever played was when Mousset was on form, that kind of threat made us an attacking force.

Was probably the only time we weren’t a relegation battle team going forward. Both premier league seasons we never scored that many goals and we weren’t defensively horrific in either season. Just couldn’t create or score in the relegation season

Agree re Moose, for that part of the season, he won us 3 points at Everton, terrorised Man U and built confidence in the rest of the team. I can't see Jebbo or Osula filling that void yet. I liked the look of Adebayo at Luton but that won't happen now so I'm not expecting anyone similar to come in unless there's some hidden gem somewhere.

None of you have disproven that the best we ever played was when Mousset was on form, that kind of threat made us an attacking force.

Was probably the only time we weren’t a relegation battle team going forward. Both premier league seasons we never scored that many goals and we weren’t defensively horrific in either season. Just couldn’t create or score in the relegation season

As if to emphasize my earlier Jebbison point. In the games where he's started this season his running and movement has created space for Ndiaye and McAtee the likes of which Sharp/McBurnie don't. Was the same in the PL season. Mousset"s movement gave McGoldrick so much space which in turn gave the midfield options. Losing both for the 2nd PL season rendered us impotent as an attacking threat.

The main factor in the 9th placed finish was JOC and what he offered going forward (as part of the attack down the left) and defensively. Imo that was the biggest difference to the following season.

I think RND can do that role. He has the presence and also the movement to get up and down that left side.

I actually thought Clark was decent at that as well but RND is better.

Keinan Davis seems like most realistic option for us
Correct re: power and skill but not in terms of movement and pace. Not the worst shout but even our modest budget should be able to get much better than that

I think RND can do that role. He has the presence and also the movement to get up and down that left side.

I actually thought Clark was decent at that as well but RND is better.
RND in the form he showed last season would be a big leap towards being a good prem team.

Due to NO PLAN B maybe

Correct re: power and skill but not in terms of movement and pace. Not the worst shout but even our modest budget should be able to get much better than that
Dike at West Brom if he could stay fit.

We have an aging squad, HRH alluded to that. Hecky is in a catch 22 situation. The pace of the premier league is unreal. He wants to keep the core of his team, but he knows they will struggle. I really do fear for him, we must have CMs who are athlete's, look at the quality of those that have just been relegated!!!!!!

Do people seriously think that it took premierleague opposition a full season to work out our formation ?
Do you have any idea how ridiculous that sounds ?
These football clubs have small army's of coaching staff and analysts scouring over every available piece of data or video on every opponents strengths and weaknesses but they couldn't work out a system that Keith Andrews and Benjamin bloom could explain in very simple terms after watching us a couple of times

Have a day off lads

I agree it was that Mousset spell that made us a top ten team that season. But, I think the best bet for that 10 goal a season striker, is Ndiaye. Get someone to share the pressing (like a Keinan Davis type) and free him up, I think he can get double figures. If McAtee is in the squad and we have a formation that can accommodate him, he could get close as well.

Back
Top Bottom