What the chuff is going on?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Slav's pre-match interview pretty much sums it up for me.

Reading between the lines it came across as when he joined he was told he could make some recruitments. The board then backtracked and told him he had to make do with what he has.

After the poor start where the squad have picked up where they left off last season, Slav's now gone to the board and told them that he needs 4-5 players and they've reluctantly agreed to back him. Unfortunately they've agreed too late and we're now behind as the identified targets are talking to other clubs who are ahead in negotiations, so we're back to square one, trying to find players to sign but with little time on our hands before the window shuts as the board left it too late to meet Slav's needs.

At least, that's how it came across to me.
I’m on the board and this is absolutely spot on, is there a hidden camera in the boardroom?

Genuine question (asked the same on other threads):if we sign no one else besides that 35 year old midfielder, davies and a goalkeeper, is this the owners fault or recruitment team? Surely all budgets would have been agreed to months ago and targets to fit that budget. Surely this is on the recruitment team

Slav was excluded from the list of names and bizarrely appointed shortly afterwards. If we lost on Saturday and fail to sign anyone on Tuesday (apart from this guy we’ve got training with us) the owners with feel the wrath of the fans.

Wilder must be thinking “told you so”
Why bring Wilder into it?
If he hadn't screwed up spending £120,000,000 then we wouldn't be in this mess and maybe we would still be in the Premiership and Wilder might still be manager.

And how is your track record regards Reading between the lines
I admire your staunch defence of all things Sheffield United. But curious, in your opinion do you think things are going perfectly fine then??
As that's how you seem to come across whenever someone dares raise concerns...

I admire your staunch defence of all things Sheffield United. But curious, in your opinion do you think things are going perfectly fine then??
As that's how you seem to come across whenever someone dares raise concerns...
Sorry but I can't claim my opinion is worth anything, straight answer, no I don't think it's going fine, but what I think has no effect on Diallo signing or Olsen making his mind up.
Saw my first game in 1971, my opinion didn't stop TC being sold, or relegations, neither did they cause promotions.
What is the definition for a good transfer window, do we set it at the number of players through the door, or how effective they are?

I'm clinging to the hope that as the Prince is more interested in the 49ers kicking practice and apparently posting about the quality of his burgers then he's got shit under control..

Hope it's like a fuck you guys and slag me all you want cause ill have the last laugh, it's all gonna go off sweetly on deadline day, and while you panic.. Look at my lovely sandwhich.... That's how much I'm worried...

He backed every manager.... Why would this be different??

To be honest a few have been saying these issues are there all along but we’re constantly shot down.

I'm expecting 2 or 3 incomings on Monday / Tuesday. If not, and bearing in mind Slavs constant message for the need for 'fresh blood' (we sure he's not a vampire from the Carpathian mountains - Count Slav) then it will have been a failure on the clubs part. No ifs or buts, a clear failure.

They have the next few days to bring in some reinforcements with a bit of quality to freshen things up. I'm still backing them to do this, but they have put extra pressure on themselves with the time pressures involved now.

Last edited:
I'm expecting 2 or 3 incomings on Monday / Tuesday. If not, and bearing in mind Slavs constant message for the need for 'fresh blood' (we sure he's not a vampire from the Carpathian mountains - Count Slav) then it will have been a failure on the clubs part. No ifs or buts, a clear failure.

They have the next few days to bring in some reinforcements with a bit of quality to freshen things up. I'm still backing them to do this, but they have put extra pressure on themselves with the time pressures involved now.
From that article, it looks like he wants 5:

“It is simple. I don't expect we need to be waiting a lot. The original plan was four, without the goalkeeper situation. So that adds one more position.”

I can't imagine it's likely given our snails pace and the bank holiday weekend, but anything less is obviously an issue.

From that article, it looks like he wants 5:

“It is simple. I don't expect we need to be waiting a lot. The original plan was four, without the goalkeeper situation. So that adds one more position.”

I can't imagine it's likely given our snails pace and the bank holiday weekend, but anything less is obviously an issue.

Agree. I read it as he wanted five outfield players originally, then got one in with Davies (4 still wanted) then Ramsdale went meaning 4 outfield and a new keeper.

Can't see it myself now and he will probably be lucky if we get 3 in all told. I think nothing will happen to next week now then it could be an interesting couple if days as I do genuinely think we have deals ready to roll with....

Apparently we will only sign this 35yr old Algerian if we don't get our other targets 👀

I also think this is just a bit of insurance by Count Slav in case we don't get another midfielder or 2 in the building. His comments read that way to me anyway.

The positive outlook is that there's silence because we're conducting our transfer dealings with a new air of professionalism.

Alternatively, the negative outlook is that there's silence because there's fuck all to spend and therefore fuck all to report.

Excellent OP robbiez666.

Personally, I was hoping we might use this opportunity as a bit of a reset. I didn't want to see us spunk money at bigger names in the hope of going straight back up - but instead see us do something more sustainable. To hold on to some of the core players whilst looking for the next wave of Endas, Baldocks for affordable fees from lower down the ladder.

So to summarise, if we only bring in the 35 year old midfielder and nobody else it will definitely be the boards fault for lack of ambition or if we get four new players in it will be down to Slav and nothing to do with the board backing him, right?

I’ll reserve my judgement until after deadline day, but it is not looking positive. There seems to be some issues on the operational side of the club at the moment. Hope I’m wrong.

So to summarise, if we only bring in the 35 year old midfielder and nobody else it will definitely be the boards fault for lack of ambition or if we get four new players in it will be down to Slav and nothing to do with the board backing him, right?

No it will be down to the board either way as they sanction and finance the deals not the manager. He just asks.

Coming up to Christmas my youngest (let's call him the manager) usually asks for a shit load of stuff. He gets some of the things on his list from Mum and Dad (the board) and a few bits from Santa (loan from a big 6 club). He plays with what he has and tries to get the most enjoyment out of them, but it's safe to say the Board have had to finance it and gets the credit from others. If we got him bugger all then the board wouldn't be looked upon favourably by the fans (Grandparents).

Luckily we have most of the stuff in place before we get to 4 days before Christmas as we tend to have a plan and know what the deadline is each year...

The funny thing is most of the noise on Twitter etc was saying how good our squad is and the that Brewster and McBurnie will get hat fulls at this level. Now all of a sudden we need to clear them out.

if the window closes and we’ve only brought in Ben Davies then I’ll be critical.

I also don’t understand this hope of failure just to say “I told you so” for the current owner.

No it will be down to the board either way as they sanction and finance the deals not the manager. He just asks.

Coming up to Christmas my youngest (let's call him the manager) usually asks for a shit load of stuff. He gets some of the things on his list from Mum and Dad (the board) and a few bits from Santa (loan from a big 6 club). He plays with what he has and tries to get the most enjoyment out of them, but it's safe to say the Board have had to finance it and gets the credit from others. If we got him bugger all then the board wouldn't be looked upon favourably by the fans (Grandparents).

Luckily we have most of the stuff in place before we get to 4 days before Christmas as we tend to have a plan and know what the deadline is each year...
It's always been the same hasn't it when things are going OK we love to say how good our players and coaches are but when it turns, even slightly, the board/owners get it in the neck, not just us same all over, I just think sometimes we need to calm down a bit, don't get me wrong if we don't bring any new player's in I will be disappointed but will that definitely be down to the board or other problems, I, like every one else don't know, but I'll guarantee you loads on here will know

Clearly not happy, 'we identified positions 2 months ago and players 1 month ago''

It seems he's gone out and brought the lad in off his own back as he's a free agent as everything else is progressing so slowly.

I know these things take time but whoever is running the process is doing a poor job. Look at WBA, they've brought in a centre half, a midfielder and a centre forward and the first 2 were in for the start of the season.

No. Slav has nothing to do with the recruitment process apart from agreeing targets.

Excellent OP robbiez666.

Personally, I was hoping we might use this opportunity as a bit of a reset. I didn't want to see us spunk money at bigger names in the hope of going straight back up - but instead see us do something more sustainable. To hold on to some of the core players whilst looking for the next wave of Endas, Baldocks for affordable fees from lower down the ladder.

Me too. I was shocked that so many people on here thought that the squad who were dire in the PL would suddenly walk the Championship because they'd been promoted before. I was hoping that we'd use the opportunity to freshen up the squad and bring in some up and coming players who we could develop to replace those knocking on a bit. There seems to have been no steps to do any of this, which is disappointing. I was expecting a mix of loans and relatively cheap permanent signings.

Back
Top Bottom