What have you missed?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

S64 Blade

Reaction score
So we're back at the Lane (properly) this Saturday and apart from the obvious, what little idiosyncrasies have you missed about going to the games? I'm sure for many of us, much of these are the same and there's probably a multitude of things for each person. Some of the things are may even be pretty intangible.

I've missed that dash from the pub as kick-off approaches. Saying goodbye to those in our group that sit in other stands and then reaching the turnstiles for the South Stand, on Bramall Lane, to be greeted with a sea of people and complaining about it. The greasy smell of the nearby burger van, wafting through the air as you try and work out which queue (such as it is) will get you in quickest. That click of the turnstile when you do make it in, is something I've missed - I always worry that my season card won't work, so it's always a little relief (even though I've never once had an issue). Once inside, that quick stop for one final piss before ascending the steps and hearing Gary Sinclair mumble on about something. I think it's at this point that I'll really know I'm back on Saturday.

I could go on, but I'll let others share what they've missed and what will make them realise they're back (I suspect they'll be many humorous answers).

For me it’s the first 80 minutes of game, all the nerves, build up and suspense and then it happens. People start leaving early and I get to tut and shake my head at them. 😃

Making my way through the favelas that engulf BDTBL, getting searched and ticket checked at turnstiles. EVERY FECKIN' TIME!!!
The madman who, in disbelieving exasperation, loudly repeats the number of added on minutes at the end of every half.

What was that announcement that used to happen - Phase 5, or something like that... Where the stewards just stood up for about 2 minutes, despite there being zero inclination of any trouble, or reason for them to change what they were doing. I miss speculating about that.

The fact that the Devonshire Cat pub on Wellington Street has now shut down due to bonkers rent demands and the even more bonkers algorithm use to calculate astronomical business rates. Now have to find another pub for pre and post match sherbets.....

What was that announcement that used to happen - Phase 5, or something like that... Where the stewards just stood up for about 2 minutes, despite there being zero inclination of any trouble, or reason for them to change what they were doing. I miss speculating about that.

Phase 6 now mean the stewards spray the Coren with had sanitiser

guy on the front of the kop that does sarcastic jazz hands any time an opposing player misses a shot. crossing everything that he's still attending matches post COVID

The half time pint stands out, seeing people I won't have seen since the last home game we could attend is going to be strange.

Also can't wait for the pre-match beers, the usual 2-4 pubs depending on how early we manage to make it out, the team being released bang on an hour before the game and everyone starts talking about selections, the anticipation if whether we'll make kick off or not, running up the steps at the back of the kop to try and make the greasy chip butty song. Most of all, when we're in full voice getting behind the team when we're looking like scoring and then that absolute madness when it finally goes in

Shouting dogs abuse at referees, whether they’ve been good or bad.

The pettiness of not saying “Sheffield Wednesday” it’s beautiful

When the players finish the warm-up to a loud round of applause from the crowd and the players applaud back. It's the first time the atmosphere really starts to build.

The fact that the Devonshire Cat pub on Wellington Street has now shut down due to bonkers rent demands and the even more bonkers algorithm use to calculate astronomical business rates. Now have to find another pub for pre and post match sherbets.....
Sheaf view house. There is no other.

Discussing whether or not the attendance was inclusive of cats, dogs, Sumatran Tigers or Thompson Gazelles.

Always a clincher for me.

Deciding which striker is going to have a good game based purely on how they performed in the warm up shooting drill

Getting to the top of the Kop steps and seeing the whole expanse of the Lane in front of me.

Gutted that I can't go on Saturday, family weekend in the piss rain to Whitby with the pig-supporting in laws so will most likely be watching on my phone unless they can be coaxed to the pub.

Waking up and instantly thinking, on some occasions even saying ‘match day!’

Going about my morning knowing that, by 12 noon I’ll be On my way to London road To meet with friends - some of whom are now dotted around the country due to jobs, but make match day nonetheless.

sat in the corner seat at the crown watching as the bar and rest of the pub gradually fill up with the background noise increasing with it as Mates batter each other and enjoy a distinctly average pint of fosters (don’t judge, match day special £2.50)

refreshing my phone at bang on 2pm awaiting the team line-up and instantly informing the older members of the group of the changes or lack of before discussing our opinions of the team and why the manager is wrong with the last pint before heading down towards the John street entrance to the kop.

the little buzz and green light the turnstile makes before allowing you to push through it and looking up the steps towards the back of the kop, have we got time for one more? Probably not.

Walking through gangway F and seeing the pitch and rest of the stadium come into view, making my way down towards my row and acknowledging aah gerts dad before taking my seat next to the bloke I’ve befriended over the years entirely down to sitting next to each other for so long.

win, lose or draw heading back to the pub to talk football and watch the late kick off before dispersing either into town or making my way home, digesting all the football talk I can on social media before walking back through the front door to be told ‘It’s only a game’.

I’ve missed all of it. The whole day. There is nothing like a matchday and I have truly never looked forward to anything as much in my life as this Saturday, I’m not an emotional bloke, but when I get through that turnstile Saturday, I’ll be hard pushed not to have a tear in my eye.

Back
Top Bottom