What changed between Swindon dressing room and the meeting with the Board?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

I guess that's why we had Axel Smeets at the club then if the checklist is a) black b) fancy foreign name. A persona skin colour, sexuality, gender, nationality shouldn't be a consideration for a job of any kind yet even B&Q want to know what your sexuality is to sell diy goods. I think with the passing of Woody it brings home to us what we've been missing & the downward spiral when we keep selling our home grown talent

Yeah not bad thanks. Didn't realise you did guitars. I've just bought an Epiphone Les Paul Black Beauty, second hand, Korean. Not particularly skilled, just like making a noise.

Is that the one with three humbuckers?

I picked up a black Gibson Les Paul Studio in Glasgow last year second hand. Always wanted a proper Gibbo. Was well chuffed when I saw one for under £500

I make 3 designs of my own and 2 types of Telecaster style (one thinline, semi-hollow) - if you ever need any parts of set-ups etc I offer Blades rates ;)

All gone quiet on the manager front - are they interviewing George Donis, Brian Deane, Bob Bradley etc?

I make 3 designs of my own and 2 types of Telecaster style (one thinline, semi-hollow) - if you ever need any parts of set-ups etc I offer Blades rates ;)

All gone quiet on the manager front - are they interviewing George Donis, Brian Deane, Bob Bradley etc?

You're not the only Luthier around these parts. SI Games Blade also makes some nice ones too.

Woody's a good lad, often took dog's abuse in the BM Madhouse (haven't we all?). For whatever reason this forum seems to have a reputation for slightly more mature debate (can't think why!) so hopefully it'll stay that way ("cue replies of "feck off lingsbord") - we need opinions from all sides for any thread to be interesting, but simple personal abuse is the easy, lazy way out. Off you go then, let me have it ...........

Tempting lingsbord , very tempting :D

Actually it's good to see you here, you're one of the better posters (and there quite a few good posters, contrary to popular opinion) on BM so welcome.

PS - you missed out the first quotation mark so I've corrected it for you - just so you know :D

Don't do it again! ;)

Does it play better and have more stamina than a white one.
I was just about to explain about Black Beauties having an extra pick up when I woke up and saw what you'd done. :)

I've got two electrics and a bass and they're all black. I've got no balance in my guitar collection, no wonder I'm shit and can only play Smoke on the Water.

Has that dick from Rotherham bought one? Or did he just bore you with anecdotes about his amazing rock star life playing the pubs of Essex?

Are there any other teams we play that have no black players? ... they add certain qualities such as athleticism, strength, pace, skill and even height.

As well as being fascinated by shiny things, not being v clever, and eating watermelon, presumably ??

Wouldn't normally get involved in this kind of stuff, but I'm sorry, isn't this just very lazy stereotyping of the kind that went out with the BBC 1970s light entertainment crew ?

As well as being fascinated by shiny things, not being v clever, and eating watermelon, presumably ??

Wouldn't normally get involved in this kind of stuff, but I'm sorry, isn't this just very lazy stereotyping of the kind that went out with the BBC 1970s light entertainment crew ?

Black and White Minstrels . Agree ShockingBadBuy .

UTB

If you have a web site, let me know, I am teaching myself Bass at the minute, or at least doing the basics, about to buy a Schecter bass. I recently rebuilt a Tele copy, put Tone Rider pickups in, a Wilkinson bridge with brass saddles, new pots, etc. Plays nice.

As for the manager situation, it's actually exciting and nerve wracking at the time. One thing, being an older Blade, is I remember the days when the manager got sacked and only he left! These days it seems they all arrive with an entourage and leave with the entire staff as well.

Good question. It's not a "must", it's a logical preference.

Are there any other teams we play that have no black players? Some have 5 or 6 in their starting eleven. All last season I never saw another all white team play against us.

I think that's because they add certain qualities such as athleticism, strength, pace, skill and even height. They are often key players.

By having that "blind spot" I think we were missing the opportunity to improve the squad.

Put it this way, the new manager will sign a few black players, no doubt about it. Most managers do.

When we do I will be pleased.

This is a silly discussion. Last season we had JCR and Brandy (I think), I doubt either could be stretched any further, and as for the other qualities, they were no more apparent than any other player who wore the red and white stripes.

Surely you're not pandering to a voice within that demands we have a team featuring specific pantone colours? Once a black player is signed, maybe it won't be enough to simply be black? Maybe the degrees of blackness will be tested against previous black players? Maybe the idea is to have players so black that they act as black stealth players in night games? This is nonsense on a scale so absurd it's difficult to comprehend.

Just sign decent players. I see Liverpool have a few black players, one, Mamadou Sakho, would appear to have all the attributes you suggest, yet he's as wayward a defender as I can recall. But he's black so I guess that'll do.

It's clear we need a greater physicality, but we need to make sure that we don't sacrifice quality, guile, and football intelligence for players with the physique of a middleweight boxer. The key is balance, simple really if you're prepared to make the effort to understand what really matters.

We certainly needed some taller, stronger, faster players in the side - but why do you think they must be black?

Been saying that all season, putting Basham back in to the back four meant that (until Steven Davies arrived) we had no height anywhere else on the field

Doe's size matter ;)
Yes
We need a couple of tall guys in defence, 1 in midfield and certainly 1 up front, we all know we have been lacking in these departments, so if we need 4 new players who in your opinion would have to make way.

Doe's size matter ;)
Yes
We need a couple of tall guys in defence, 1 in midfield and certainly 1 up front, we all know we have been lacking in these departments, so if we need 4 new players who in your opinion would have to make way.
No-one. Either we sign two centre halfs and move Bash to centre mid, leaving McEv as back up, which is what he should be, or we sign a new CM and CH and keep Bash in defence. As we haven't had a regular CM or CH partnership no-one is missing out as such.
Similarly, we don't have a regular big man up front, unless the new guy can get consistently good performances from Higgo, which would probably make him a genius. I suppose you could say Higgo misses out but I don't consider him 'in'.

This is a silly discussion. Last season we had JCR and Brandy (I think), I doubt either could be stretched any further, and as for the other qualities, they were no more apparent than any other player who wore the red and white stripes.

Surely you're not pandering to a voice within that demands we have a team featuring specific pantone colours? Once a black player is signed, maybe it won't be enough to simply be black? Maybe the degrees of blackness will be tested against previous black players? Maybe the idea is to have players so black that they act as black stealth players in night games? This is nonsense on a scale so absurd it's difficult to comprehend.

Just sign decent players. I see Liverpool have a few black players, one, Mamadou Sakho, would appear to have all the attributes you suggest, yet he's as wayward a defender as I can recall. But he's black so I guess that'll do.

It's clear we need a greater physicality, but we need to make sure that we don't sacrifice quality, guile, and football intelligence for players with the physique of a middleweight boxer. The key is balance, simple really if you're prepared to make the effort to understand what really matters.

Past issue, mentioned briefly in passing by me on this thread, picked up and distorted ad nauseum.

Are you saying we don't need hight or are you saying it the players ability at CB that matters, because we have been lacking in both hight and ability.

If height is the only criterion then Cannavaro was crap. I looked him up recently and I think he was 5'8 which sounds ridiculous. Maybe I've misremembered, or someone was vandalising his WP page.

To put it in a cliche: If you're good enough, you're tall enough.

Given the chance to sign two Cannavaros should we say: No, they're not tall enough.

Imo all that counts is ability.

Incidentally is Terry Kennedy that tall? I'd guess 6' - but very good in the air.

I've got it...it was all going to plan,then half way through the meeting they found out NC was Jose's drug dealer.

If height is the only criterion then Cannavaro was crap. I looked him up recently and I think he was 5'8 which sounds ridiculous. Maybe I've misremembered, or someone was vandalising his WP page.

To put it in a cliche: If you're good enough, you're tall enough.

Given the chance to sign two Cannavaros should we say: No, they're not tall enough.

Imo all that counts is ability.

Incidentally is Terry Kennedy that tall? I'd guess 6' - but very good in the air.

Cannavaro is a great example that height isn't everything in a defender but what's normally left out of that analysis is that the centre half who played alongside him was usually considerably taller.

In the 2006 World Cup final, Italy's back four was Zambrotta (5'11") Cannavaro (5'8") Materazzi (6'4") Grosso (6'3"). They also had Luca Toni (6'3") up front to add some height defending set pieces and Gianluigi Buffon is 6'3".

We have struggled at set pieces all season but that's because our back line has mainly been made up from Freeman (5'10"), Brayford (5'8"), Kennedy (5'10"), Harris (5'8"), McEveley (6'0") and Basham (6'3"). Howard isn't quite 6' either of the other first choice outfielders, only Coutts (6'0") and Davies (6'1") break the 1.8m barrier. This might also explain why Coutts played so frequently.

Past issue, mentioned briefly in passing by me on this thread, picked up and distorted ad nauseum.

That's that all sorted, then.

Aren't you the man who lambasts others for dismissing others' ideas out of hand, and refusing to debate ? And you wonder why people give you the "FFS".

That's that all sorted, then.

Aren't you the man who lambasts others for dismissing others' ideas out of hand, and refusing to debate ? And you wonder why people give you the "FFS".

Main reason being it's out of context for the thread and a side issue, that's all.

Quoting from the article in the Star today...

Although Clough, whose dismissal was announced on Monday morning, insisted he had been tasked with “building a football club” following his appointment 19 months ago, The Star understands that some influential figures grew increasingly frustrated when investments in the likes of Michael Higdon and Andy Butler produced little or no return.

I would have thought there would be more to it than just that though.

Cannavaro is a great example that height isn't everything in a defender but what's normally left out of that analysis is that the centre half who played alongside him was usually considerably taller.

In the 2006 World Cup final, Italy's back four was Zambrotta (5'11") Cannavaro (5'8") Materazzi (6'4") Grosso (6'3"). They also had Luca Toni (6'3") up front to add some height defending set pieces and Gianluigi Buffon is 6'3".

We have struggled at set pieces all season but that's because our back line has mainly been made up from Freeman (5'10"), Brayford (5'8"), Kennedy (5'10"), Harris (5'8"), McEveley (6'0") and Basham (6'3"). Howard isn't quite 6' either of the other first choice outfielders, only Coutts (6'0") and Davies (6'1") break the 1.8m barrier. This might also explain why Coutts played so frequently.

Fairy Nuff. I did wonder about the other CH - so maybe (genuinely) we wouldn't sign two Cannavaros.

Kennedy is 5'10? He does win a lot of headers.

Main reason being it's out of context for the thread and a side issue, that's all.

There are as many relevant contexts to any thread, or scenario, or circumstance in life, as there are people participating in them. That's just common sense, right ? Unless you (in the general sense of "you") are some kind of demagogue or narcissist ? Or unless "your" default position is a rigid hierarchy of contexts, with your own contexts automatically placed at the top or in the centre, and everyone else's, by definition, at the bottom or in the margins.

I love this forum so damn much ! I really don't want to get banned ! I REALLY don't want to upset Foxy or Linz ! So I'm shutting up. Now :cool:

Good question. It's not a "must", it's a logical preference.

Are there any other teams we play that have no black players? Some have 5 or 6 in their starting eleven. All last season I never saw another all white team play against us.

I think that's because they add certain qualities such as athleticism, strength, pace, skill and even height. They are often key players.

By having that "blind spot" I think we were missing the opportunity to improve the squad.

Put it this way, the new manager will sign a few black players, no doubt about it. Most managers do.

When we do I will be pleased.
I'll be honest I couldn't give a toss about the race of our squad members but I think the idea that clough was racist is wide of the mark. Che is half cast, he tried to sign mason Bennett who is black and although he didn't play him that often he did sign JCR. It was just a cheap way of attacking clough to say he was racist

Back
Top Bottom