West ham goal

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

biggey blade

Reaction score
I have only just watched match of the day so only just picked up on this obviously saw it live as I was at the game but didnt pick up on it: how did it stand? The linesman put flag up for Robinson for offside surely that means it's a free kick the keeper took the ball and kicked it up the pitch from his arms? Maybe I'm missing some thing but I thought it had to be a free kick if Robinson hadn't touched the ball then I understand they might have played on as it didnt effect the play but he did?

I have only just watched match of the day so only just picked up on this obviously saw it live as I was at the game but didnt pick up on it: how did it stand? The linesman put flag up for Robinson for offside surely that means it's a free kick the keeper took the ball and kicked it up the pitch from his arms? Maybe I'm missing some thing but I thought it had to be a free kick if Robinson hadn't touched the ball then I understand they might have played on as it didnt effect the play but he did?

You mean wonderful VAR?

VAR that until yesterday not overturned any ref-non-penalty decision all season, even stone-wall penalties; then 1st one it overrides yesterday was almost certainly not a penalty?

Irrelevant if Basham heads it clear .

You mean wonderful VAR?

VAR that until yesterday not overturned any ref-non-penalty decision all season, even stone-wall penalties; then 1st one it overrides yesterday was almost certainly not a penalty?
What has VAR got to do with West Ham's goal ?

I think George should be questioning his tracking back.
Give the lad a break. Am I remembering correctly that the stats showed he ran 19k against Arsenal on Monday? Criticise his shooting, if you wish, but his running up and down the pitch is second-to-none. Against a quick break, he is bound to get caught out occasionally.

When I saw the post title, I thought this might be questioning Bashams poor headed clearance. It looked to me as though he got a slight push in the back from Haller as he jumped to head it...hence the bad contact. Was wondering whether VAR would have checked it, as it was a direct part of the move that led to the goal.

Basham got a nudge in the back from Haller and that’s why his header looked poor, a clear foul and one which the linesman should’ve spotted, I can see why the ref missed it though.
Slight challenge on him but thought he ran under the ball a bit.

No way was Basham fouled. Basham got under a few long balls during the first half, this one led to the goal. However, Baldock has got to spot that run of Snodgrass and switch on to it.

Must admit I thought exactly the same. Been looking for a replay but can't find one that goes back far enough. I'd really like to see if Robinson pulls up or let's ball run through to keeper after flag has gone up. If so, it should have been a free kick. If not, then goaly has played fair advantage.

No chance, that was not a situation where it was a clear opportunity to make a decision to either head it out of play or find a team mate.
I'm astounded at the opinion that Bash 'should have headed it clear' seems to be a reasonably common one.

Give the lad a break. Am I remembering correctly that the stats showed he ran 19k against Arsenal on Monday? Criticise his shooting, if you wish, but his running up and down the pitch is second-to-none. Against a quick break, he is bound to get caught out occasionally.

Would love to see more stats for us this season, particularly top speed and distance covered. Can't seem to find anything that takes notice of them.

You mean wonderful VAR?

It irritates me how people talk about VAR as if it's a machine, the same machine that makers all VAR Decisions. Firstly it's not a a machine it's a person / people, second it's not the same person each time. Decisions made by VAR are made by match officials.

That said i agree completely that its implementation in the PL has been a fiasco.

No chance, that was not a situation where it was a clear opportunity to make a decision to either head it out of play or find a team mate.
I'm astounded at the opinion that Bash 'should have headed it clear' seems to be a reasonably common one.
Bread and butter centre halves header.

I thought Norwood was more to blame than anyone. He got himself sucked in from midfield when he didn't need to, leaving Snodgrass to race through the centre of the park unmarked.

Both Baldock or Norwood should have been tracking Snodgrass. When Snodgrass starts his run both Norwood and Baldock are ahead of him.

It irritates me how people talk about VAR as if it's a machine, the same machine that makers all VAR Decisions. Firstly it's not a a machine it's a person / people, second it's not the same person each time. Decisions made by VAR are made by match officials.

That said i agree completely that its implementation in the PL has been a fiasco.

Please don't be irritated, as I don't think it's a machine at all. I think it's a f'ing mess, that's all.

I think pretty much the same as your closing line!

-

Even the MOTD commentators said something in the region of 'well, loads of crap penalty decisions , so they thought let's do something about it ' i.e. award something regardless rather than obvious. I mean, how old are these decision makers? 5?
I used to enjoy coming home after work and watching a few games on MOTD and eating some junk food, now the main game is the one with the most contentious decisions, rather than any quality of game.

being super critical.

Robinson should have stood in front of the keeper to slow down the move
Basham could have got more on the header
Norwood should have covered the gap left in the middle
Baldock may have been able to get back quicker, but that looks a bit harsh to me

As for the OP, I'm not sure what the ref did in terms of blowing the whistle, but the keeper kicks it out of his hands so I'm guessing the ref never blew. Otherwise the OP has a point

No way was Basham fouled. Basham got under a few long balls during the first half, this one led to the goal. However, Baldock has got to spot that run of Snodgrass and switch on to it.
Take another look at the goal, Basham didn’t get underneath the ball, he was positioned perfectly for it then a clever little nudge/foul from Haller makes him lose his position slightly and head it how he does.

It’s a foul all day long but it gets overlooked due to there been not much contact but just enough to put Basham off. Haller wasn’t going for the ball, it’s a foul.

All I'd take from West hams goal is the irony their manager accused us of hit and hope long balls up front and it's what they did to score.
But it's all part of the game . Sometimes it works when other methods get no where

Also think Norwood could have done much better. Was in front of Snodgrass when keeper hoofs it yet labours back. The space was huge for the pass to played into.

Then again I don't think I've EVER seen Norwood at sprinting speed.

Back
Top Bottom