Were we that bad ?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

FallowfieldBlade

The Names Blade Fallowfield Blade
Reaction score
Close game with last seasons play off finalists some people seem to have suddenly forgot ?

We lacked a cutting edge but looked to dominate the second half at least and had the better chances at least

People need to calm down a few of our starting line up players still aren’t fit or signed Slav is still working out how to best fit the jigsaw together

You would think mcburnie is the main man when fully fit + RND + Davies + Viera

Id worry if we sign those and then after 15 games there’s no improvement no need to go mad as a few have already 😵‍💫😵‍💫😵‍💫😵‍💫

Yes we improved in the second half. But most fans would agree is that we lack creativity and cohesive play. Its early in the season but the squad lacks balance and until new faces arrive in the door there is going to be nervousness amongst the fans.
Jokanovic has a big job in front of him to get this club competing at the top of the table. One getting the team to play the way he wants then to. Two, finalising a squad. Ramsdale and Berge could go and would need replacing. But the worry is why haven't we got anybody in yet.
Forest have signed two very good players in loan. Birmingham as we have seen picked up a good one.

The squad is unbalanced and performances have been poor. Yes there is time. But we spent alot of money last few seasons with only Ramsdale coming close to justifying his fee.
McBurnie isn't related to a footballer in my opinion.

Think we are still finding our feet, only Two games gone, to quote the old saying "it's a marathon, not a sprint".
Team and manager still gelling.
Wasn't brilliant but hopefully Slav will adapt and learn.

Personally know looked solid at the back midfield is a major issue and strikers I think we do need a fresh striker and jebbo to play they had one shot

Think we could have saved money and brought couliaby over

It was more like a chess match cancelling each other out we'll improve, Wednesday will be a tough at WBA when we come up against arguably one of Wilder's worst transfer deals. We got Robinson from PNE and he didn't hit floor running so he shipped him out, he joined WBA and we got Burke boy did we get fucking stiffed.

Robinson did score some last season and scored Saturday, Burke couldn't hit a cow's arse with a banjo.

Yes, I'm afraid we were bloody awful. In fact it doesn't get much worse. Easy to see why though with players like Burke, Norwood and dare I say it Berge in the side. Testing times for Slav and the Prince we'll see what they are made of now.

It depends on your definition of bad.
I was bored watching us again.
We created hardly anything to get excited about.
Surely, not scoring is not good, hence bad.
I don’t buy this patience it’s early days.
I watched rubbish all last season and I was hoping for better this season.
At present that looks like a forlorn hope unless we miraculously manage to bring in some good players to support Rams, Bald, Bash Egan and Berge (if he can be arsed).
I’m still hoping Brewster can play like he did for Swansea.
Up The Blades!

The most pleasing thing for me was that our performance showed that we HAVE got the players to go 4 at the back and do it very well as those four did yesterday , resulting in a vastly improved defensive display compared to last weeks horror show .

Agreed, with new defensive players coming in we will be better. Just need to sort out the attacking midfield options then.

I saw the game and my opinion is that it is exactly as the scoreline suggested. Stalemate. Majority of us on here have probably been to a few of these in our lifetimes and it's just one of them "meh 🤷‍♂️" games.

Clean sheet and a point is better than conceding a sucker punch 95th min goal.

So much of it is about context, and what goes beforehand.

If we’d won last week, I think we’d look at last night as a solid 0-0 draw where we were never really threatened. The fact that it feels like 40 years since we last scored a few goals in a game means that each and every blank feels like another step closer to oblivion. It’s understandable that people are edgy. It’s also a shame that our best chances this season have fallen to McGoldrick and Burke.

Close game with last seasons play off finalists some people seem to have suddenly forgot ?

We lacked a cutting edge but looked to dominate the second half at least and had the better chances at least

People need to calm down a few of our starting line up players still aren’t fit or signed Slav is still working out how to best fit the jigsaw together

You would think mcburnie is the main man when fully fit + RND + Davies + Viera

Id worry if we sign those and then after 15 games there’s no improvement no need to go mad as a few have already 😵‍💫😵‍💫😵‍💫😵‍💫
Mcburnie sadly is signed already

No preseason is showing but give it time get rid of one or two get two or three in and the manager will get it right

I don’t think we have won at Swansea in the league since 1958 I am sure silent would confirm this

Last edited:
Just watched it on record.

No, we weren't that bad, however Swansea were pretty impotent and clumsy, so it doesn't say much. The upside is we didn't concede and didn't look like conceding. No idea how WBA will deal with us next week however.

The formation of the squad and how Slav is dealing with this early season foray suggests he knows that Wilderball is in it's second wave in the side on the pitch and he's trying to vaccinate them against it. In fairness we did look a lot less 'Norwoody' and in defence of him in the second half at least his pings did find players, such as Osborn advancing up the wing. But it's that end result, the cross and the finish, which is critically wanting. We get into areas where we can advance and we either check back, give it to Burke to lose or Didsy is trying fruitlessly to get a shot in on goal.

The midfield didn't miss Fleck at all but Berge is simply a bit part player at times. The rather daft lineup which committed Brewster to Left/Right wingback was puzzling. It was as if Slav is using these first five games as pre season warm ups to decide where he's going next ... which is why I am nowhere near the 'Slav Out' camp and won't be even if we are in the lower region by Xmas and we are still crap. I will be though if he hasn't bleached Wilderball out of our system. I think he is trying to rethread the bar into a 4-4-2 lineup, which I feel is a better move with which to rebuild the squad, jettison the makeweights and string some results together to make a challenge for the top.

Ramsdale 5/10: Good save from Lowe second half and seemingly a bit more settled, however Swansea hardly challenged him
Baldock 5/10: He doesn't like four at the back. He can't get far up that wing and lacks the options he enjoys in a real RWB role
Egan 6/10: Pretty standard outing. He wasn't challenged much, in fairness.
Basham 5/10: Another player who seems ill at ease with four at the back. Not his usual venturing self and coughed up possession meekly at times
Robinson 5/10: Average but uninspiring. A decent block in the first half from him. He's not Championship standard
Berge 5/10: Not impressed. Disappears for long periods, then switches on and takes players on but there's no end product
Norwood 5/10: Some of his set plays were in fact better than recent ones. And for a change his pings found players. But still doing this quarterback schtick, pointing, pointing, pointing. What at?
Burke 3/10: Same old, same old. He made such an impact when he was subbed
McGoldrick 4/10: Uncharacteristically unclinical in front of goal
Brewster 6/10: Played out of position form most of the game and found himself defending most of the time
Sharp 5/10: Missed our best chance, which is unlike him. Feeding off scraps.

Bogle 4/10: Not enough time to impose. I do think that RM in a 4-2-3-1 is a decent position for him
Osborn 6/10: Definitely created better options when he came on and busied himself
McBurnie 3/10: Fouling a lot, falling on the floor and arguing with the ref. Shithousery.

II called my mate from the party during the match. He said, 'Slav looks like a beaten man already'.

Is it just me also, but I can't understand a fucking thing he says to camera. I get it he's not English, our language isn't his tongue. But he talks in riddles. Maybe I am just used to Wilder and his straight talking, but Slav needs to work on his interviews.

pommpey

No, we weren't that bad, however Swansea were pretty impotent and clumsy, so it doesn't say much. The upside is we didn't concede and didn't look like conceding. No idea how WBA will deal with us next week however.

The formation of the squad and how Slav is dealing with this early season foray suggests he knows that Wilderball is in it's second wave in the side on the pitch and he's trying to vaccinate them against it. In fairness we did look a lot less 'Norwoody' and in defence of him in the second half at least his pings did find players, such as Osborn advancing up the wing. But it's that end result, the cross and the finish, which is critically wanting. We get into areas where we can advance and we either check back, give it to Burke to lose or Didsy is trying fruitlessly to get a shot in on goal.

The midfield didn't miss Fleck at all but Berge is simply a bit part player at times. The rather daft lineup which committed Brewster to Left/Right wingback was puzzling. It was as if Slav is using these first five games as pre season warm ups to decide where he's going next ... which is why I am nowhere near the 'Slav Out' camp and won't be even if we are in the lower region by Xmas and we are still crap. I will be though if he hasn't bleached Wilderball out of our system. I think he is trying to rethread the bar into a 4-4-2 lineup, which I feel is a better move with which to rebuild the squad, jettison the makeweights and string some results together to make a challenge for the top.

Ramsdale 5/10: Good save from Lowe second half and seemingly a bit more settled, however Swansea hardly challenged him
Baldock 5/10: He doesn't like four at the back. He can't get far up that wing and lacks the options he enjoys in a real RWB role
Basham 5/10: Another player who seems ill at ease with four at the back. Not his usual venturing self and coughed up possession meekly at times
Robinson 5/10: Average but uninspiring. A decent block in the first half from him. He's not Championship standard
Berge 5/10: Not impressed. Disappears for long periods, then switches on and takes players on but there's no end product
Norwood 5/10: Some of his set plays were in fact better than recent ones. And for a change his pings found players. But still doing this quarterback schtick, pointing, pointing, pointing. What at?
Brewster 6/10: Played out of position form most of the game and found himself defending most of the time

Bogle 4/10: Not enough time to impose. I do think that RM in a 4-2-3-1 is a decent position for him
Osborn 6/10: Definitely created better options when he came on and busied himself
McBurnie 3/10: Fouling a lot, falling on the floor and arguing with the ref. Shithousery.

II called my mate from the party during the match. He said, 'Slav looks like a beaten man already'.

Is it just me also, but I can't understand a fucking thing he says to camera. I get it he's not English, our language isn't his tongue. But he talks in riddles. Maybe I am just used to Wilder and his straight talking, but Slav needs to work on his interviews.

pommpey
Probably a better indication will be aftermath of Baggies match?

pommpey
Mcburnie set up the best chance of the game for Mcgoldrick who couldn't beat the keeper, Mcgoldrick seems to have a go to, move/skill, tried shaping a shot round the keeper from a pass from Billy in the first half, saved by the keeper, his body shape for the gilt edged chance was a clear indication it would be the same again, keeper saved and flagged for offside, McG has never, ever been clinical.

Probably a better indication will be aftermath of Baggies match?

Well, yeah. If we see less of the profligate idiocy that at team set up to play Wilderball and unable to do it because they don't have the players and the whole strategy is predictable and beatable.

Yesterday's game had the positive in that Swansea, although poor, couldn't scratch us but we were similarly devoid of attacking flair. It will take some time for the team to settle under Slav and understand what he and his coaching staff want.

WBA will be a real test though, because they look more capable than Birmingham and Swansea

pommpey

No preseason is showing but give it time get rid of one or two get two or three in and the manager will get it right

I don’t think we have won at Swansea in the league since 1958 I am sure silent would confirm this
No wins at Swansea in any competition since 1958, although we won at the Vetch twice that year.

Including yesterday, 9 visits since 1958 have yielded 3 draws and 6 defeats.

Cheer up
We’re only 3 points from the top of the championship

UTB

Weren't nearly as bad as some seem to be saying and loads better than last week.

Let them have a lot of pointless and unthreatening possession, exactly as Brum let us, and hit them a few times down the sides. Created the better chances (few as they were) and Rammers could have set up his deckchair. Solid enough away performance for me.

We weren't that bad no.
A decision away from better chance of scoring on a few occasions.

We aren't yet imposing ourselves too much but equally didn't look like conceding.

Think Wednesday will be interesting. Hopefully it won't be as many fear but we will just have to see. Sometimes coming up against the better opposition can bring out the best too.

Thanks to commentators with nothing much to say repeating it every two minutes I'm already sick to death of the talk about pre-season troubles but we have looked like a side that isn't entirely sure of the system and isn't entirely sure of their best set up. Starting with McGoldrick, Sharp, Burke, Brewster kind of screams an experimental pre-season game.

The frustration is that we looked like what we were, a side without a midfield. As the game went on, with changes made, and Norwood and Berge were able to press further up we did start to look better. Actually we looked better with Osborn on, which sort of makes me think that if we had a couple of genuine wingers that we'd be on to something.

We also look dangerously similar to last season. Scared to push players forward and suffering in attack for it. It's why I'd be really pleased to get Davies in. If the defence is solid again maybe we can go back to taking risks with full backs bombing on to support attacks, not just Baldock occasionally receiving a diagonal. We've got to get out of the rut where we're neither fixing the attacking or defensive problems.

The other thing that bothered me is that for a side that should be top heavy when we got the ball forward the attacker was almost always isolated. Part of this came from lack of numbers in the middle arriving to support, but maybe part is players still unsure of whatever the system is meant to be, lacking positional awareness of each other.

The last thing is still the Berge issue. If he's here to stay (and I do hope as a fan he is) we need to figure out fast what his best position is. First half he gave the ball away very badly three or four times in our own half, but when he strides forward with the ball you can see there are times when the only option is to foul him. Somehow he doesn't strike me as the most creative player with his passing, but we need to find a way to use him properly and not simply because he's too good not to play.

Thanks to commentators with nothing much to say repeating it every two minutes I'm already sick to death of the talk about pre-season troubles but we have looked like a side that isn't entirely sure of the system and isn't entirely sure of their best set up. Starting with McGoldrick, Sharp, Burke, Brewster kind of screams an experimental pre-season game.

The frustration is that we looked like what we were, a side without a midfield. As the game went on, with changes made, and Norwood and Berge were able to press further up we did start to look better. Actually we looked better with Osborn on, which sort of makes me think that if we had a couple of genuine wingers that we'd be on to something.

We also look dangerously similar to last season. Scared to push players forward and suffering in attack for it. It's why I'd be really pleased to get Davies in. If the defence is solid again maybe we can go back to taking risks with full backs bombing on to support attacks, not just Baldock occasionally receiving a diagonal. We've got to get out of the rut where we're neither fixing the attacking or defensive problems.

The other thing that bothered me is that for a side that should be top heavy when we got the ball forward the attacker was almost always isolated. Part of this came from lack of numbers in the middle arriving to support, but maybe part is players still unsure of whatever the system is meant to be, lacking positional awareness of each other.

The last thing is still the Berge issue. If he's here to stay (and I do hope as a fan he is) we need to figure out fast what his best position is. First half he gave the ball away very badly three or four times in our own half, but when he strides forward with the ball you can see there are times when the only option is to foul him. Somehow he doesn't strike me as the most creative player with his passing, but we need to find a way to use him properly and not simply because he's too good not to play.

Are you saying Don Goodman has nothing interesting to say? I am shocked! Shocked! :D

Just boring and painfully average. When you keep a clean sheet there's always something to build on though. We have to find a way to create some chances though or we won't trouble the top half of the table

Back
Top Bottom