Were Palace deliberately trying to hit the Ref with the ball?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

FATTYFOULKE

Reaction score
Were Palace deliberately kicking the ball at the ref when we closed them down, in order to gain a free kick as per the new rule?

I must admit I remarked that I’d never seen the ball hit the ref so many times in one match.

It never occurred to me it was deliberate but I’ve just heard Nick, a SUFC fan suggest it was deliberate on the Durham show on Talksporr.

If it was indeed deliberate it’s an abuse of the meaning of the rule and must be put a stop to, otherwise it’ll become farcical with the ref having to duck and dive every match and players gaining unwarranted free kicks in dangerous positions by cheating.

I'd understand it if it was a "proper" free kick but the defending team, or "wall" only have to stand 4 and 1/2 yards away which negates much of the advantage.

I only recall the ball hitting the ref twice, once for us and once for them.

It’s a pathetic rule, even worse than the new handball rule. The referee is part of the field of play, just like the corner flags and goal frames. This rule is comparable to having an uncontested drop ball to the attacking team if they hit the post with a shot.

I don't know, but it certainly seems like you could use it as a tactic in the right situation. I think it's more that now refs don't feel like they have to bother getting out of the way they don't.

It hardly ever happened and I don't know why it needed a rule change. It seemed to happen more times during the women's world cup and the first few games I've watched than it has in the entirety of the last couple of seasons.

I thought it happened twice, both by them.

It could develop as a tactic, a player can’t see a pass to a team mate and the ref’s not too far away, so he whacks it at the ref to get what is now called an uncontested drop ball. I wonder if we’ll ever see a goal from the drop ball? Ref drops it, player volleys it into the top corner from 30 yards. He could even ask the player if he prefers right or left foot :)

Can't say it was advantageous for Palace to get a drop-ball in either of the two times that it hit the ref, so why would they? I think the ref just got in the way more than usual to be honest, we almost dribbled into him a couple of times.

Twice wasn't it?

Hardly suspect.
My mistake then, I thought it was three times. I think it must have come very close to hitting him a third for me to have made the comment.

Even twice still seems a bit suspect to me though, as someone said it hardly ever happens once, never mind twice.

Last edited:
What happens if one of our players was going to intercept the pass before it hits the referee? Do they still get the ball back because it was them who passed it?

Can see this leading to an issue at some point...

It's a rule that didn't need introducing, someone at FIFA is just trying to justify their £250,000 salary.

New tactic for any team after they've taken the lead, just aim for the ref, get a free kick and keep doing the same until FT. Bonkers rule.

It could develop as a tactic, a player can’t see a pass to a team mate and the ref’s not too far away, so he whacks it at the ref to get what is now called an uncontested drop ball.

Ball hits ref, team have a few seconds to sort their formation out control resumed nicely.

Ball hits ref, team have a few seconds to sort their formation out control resumed nicely.

Advantage for defending team as they can regain their shape in the 20 seconds or so it takes to restart

Advantage for defending team as they can regain their shape in the 20 seconds or so it takes to restart
Alternatively it’s an advantage for the attacking team as they have a chance to all gallop up into the defending team’s penalty area, as seemed the case yesterday.

I get what you mean though. Perhaps a more mobile ref could try the challenging technique of getting out of the fucking way?

I jokingly said on twitter this morning exactly what Nick said.

We pressed them so much the kicked ball at ref to give them a free drop bsll and space.

Makes you wonder

I think the ref was just shit, and didn't have a clue about how to position himself.
It reminded me of watching my 3yr old daughter playing football in the playground at nursery, one kid kicks the ball, and then the all run for it, bumping into each other as they scramble for it, kicking each other's shins and ankles, the ref could easily have passed for one of them.

I think it’s a fair enough rule, you don’t want to see goals scored after the ball hits the ref and possession changes.

I can’t see how it would ever become a tactic but if it did, no doubt a rule would be introduced to stop deliberately hitting the ref with the ball.

Were Palace deliberately kicking the ball at the ref when we closed them down, in order to gain a free kick as per the new rule?

I must admit I remarked that I’d never seen the ball hit the ref so many times in one match.

It never occurred to me it was deliberate but I’ve just heard Nick, a SUFC fan suggest it was deliberate on the Durham show on Talksporr.

If it was indeed deliberate it’s an abuse of the meaning of the rule and must be put a stop to, otherwise it’ll become farcical with the ref having to duck and dive every match and players gaining unwarranted free kicks in dangerous positions by cheating.
A free kick isn't and wasn't awarded. An uncontested drop ball is given when the ball strikes the referee.

I think the ref was just shit, and didn't have a clue about how to position himself.
It reminded me of watching my 3yr old daughter playing football in the playground at nursery, one kid kicks the ball, and then the all run for it, bumping into each other as they scramble for it, kicking each other's shins and ankles, the ref could easily have passed for one of them.
He doesn't know what ten yards looks like either.

They couldn’t spank a bulls arse with a banjo never mind hit him on purpose.

Was poor refereeing getting too close to play.

It’s also another shite new rule just like the new handball rules.

It hardly ever happened and I don't know why it needed a rule change. It seemed to happen more times during the women's world cup

That's understandable. They used women refs and their fat arse kept getting in the way.

They hit the ball against the referee more times than they hit it in the net thankfully.

Back
Top Bottom