Welsh Blades

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

The beaten finalists in the last 3 (and therefore most relevant) of those European cup wins were Real Madrid, Bayern Munich and Roma. These sandwiching Juventus' defeat to Hamburg led by 2 x Ballon D'Or winner against arguably the strongest Juve side of all time (Zoff, Scirea, Gentile, Brio, Cabrini, Tardelli, Bonini, Platini, Bettega, Boniek, Rossi. Managed by Trapattoni).

You're talking bollocks, in a nutshell.
Yeah, yeah, yeah
Rudeness and abuse yet again as soon as someone says something that the morons on this board don't agree with

Absolutely pathetic, but no more than I expected

You've just listed an entire montage of brilliant players after saying that English teams were better because they won more European trophies

Nottingham Forest won the European Cup twice with team work and an excellent manager, but they barely had a player in the squad who was anything more than average.

Unless of course, Gary Birtles and Tony Woodcock, John Robertson, Larry Lloyd, Kenny Burns, Ian Bowyer, Martin O'Neil, John McGovern etc, were what you consider to be excellent.

Even Liverpool players weren't that great at the time, Joey Jones, Tommy Smith, Jimmy Case, Terry McDermott, Emlyn Hughes, Ray Kennedy, Phil Neal,

Just a bunch of workhorses who outgrafted better players who didn't take the euro competitions very seriously

It also coincides with the England football teams worst ever period as well

Yeah, yeah, yeah
Rudeness and abuse yet again as soon as someone says something that the morons on this board don't agree with

You've just listed an entire montage of brilliant players after saying that English teams were better because they won more European trophies

Nottingham Forest won the European Cup twice with team work and an excellent manager, but they barely had a player in the squad who was anything more than average.

Unless of course, Gary Birtles and Tony Woodcock, John Robertson, Larry Lloyd, Kenny Burns, Ian Bowyer, Martin O'Neil, John McGovern etc, were what you consider to be excellent.

Even Liverpool players weren't that great at the time, Joey Jones, Tommy Smith, Jimmy Case, Terry McDermott, Emlyn Hughes, Ray Kennedy, Phil Neal,

Just a bunch of workhorses who outgrafted better players who didn't take the euro competitions very seriously

I've listed one of the greatest club sides of all time, alongside a number of the most prestigious clubs ever, as examples of finalists in a competition, during a period that you insist none of the big clubs took seriously.

Are you genuinely saying that the likes of Platini, Boniek and Rossi treated the competition like some kind of pre-season tournament?

What were Real Madrid, Bayern Munich and Roma doing in those finals? Playing at half pace?

The fact is that the English top flight in the first half of the 80s was demonstrably superior to any other league around, this despite the magnificence of Serie A at the time. Heysel brought all of that to a shuddering halt.

To suggest that this is because 'the rest of Europe didn't try very hard' is risible.

The beaten finalists in the last 3 (and therefore most relevant) of those European cup wins were Real Madrid, Bayern Munich and Roma. These sandwiching Juventus' defeat to Hamburg led by 2 x Ballon D'Or winner against arguably the strongest Juve side of all time (Zoff, Scirea, Gentile, Brio, Cabrini, Tardelli, Bonini, Platini, Bettega, Boniek, Rossi. Managed by Trapattoni).

You're talking bollocks, in a nutshell.

Yeah, but other than the facts an dat……

The European competitions were not taken that seriously during that period of time by any of Europe's big hitters

How else could Malmo, Monchengladbach, Bruges, Rapid Vienna have got to the finals

English clubs were just the best of a bunch of clubs that took it seriously

Of course Europes best took the European competitions very seriously.
In fact traditionally Europe takes the European and UEFA cup more seriously than English clubs.
In the very early days English clubs didn't even enter teams and Real Madrid have always classed it as their competition, their trophy.

Other countries used to put more onus on technical skill where as English teams put more onus on being well drilled, high tempo and work rate.
The number of times Liverpool used to play away to Europes best and grind out a boring 0-0 or even lose 1-0 playing defensively passing it back to the goalie all the time.
Then in the 2nd leg at Anfield they would up the tempo and totally steam roll Europe's best giving them a culture shock that they couldn't handle.

The English leagues were easily the best in Europe from 77 to 85.
However we were thrown out of Europe in 85 and the standard gradually decreased. Also at the same time all the worlds best players went to Italy.

I still think that period from 86 to 95 in the Italian league is the highest standard of any European league ever.
So many Italian teams had world class star players and I maybe put that 1994 AC Milan side that beat Barcelona 4-0 in the European final as the best club side ever
along with 2011 Barcelona side that beat Man Utd 3-1 in the Champions League final at Wembley. Also think Pep's Man City side (at their best) aren't far behind those 2 but they need to win Europes main competition.

Would have loved to see Milan 94 v Barca 11 play each.

Not players, but I seem to recall regularly seeing a Malin Bridge Blades flag at away games around 15/20 years ago that unusually for most United flags, on a Wales one. Guessing a family connection that someone had?

I have and always will have a great fondness in my heart for all ex blade's players, but for the Welsh national team sod them, there is only one thing worst than a glouting Welsh man or ladie is a moaning one.
Actually, a drunken fat middle aged Englishman, particularly if they have taken their sense of entitlement beyond the English borders, is far, far, worse that pretty much any other national stereotype you care to come up with.

Saw the Rob Page Wales documentary on iPlayer. I’d recommend watching it with snippets of his time at United featured. I thought he was a great leader on the pitch, but watching the documentary it’s clear he’s got strong leadership and the right character off the pitch. I hope Wales do really well for him. I do think he would be a great United manager too.

Incredible they didn't qualify for a major tournament in the 90s with the likes of Saunders, Speed, Giggs, Rush, Hughes etc
Possibly a little bit timing related for the likes of Rush, Southall, and others? Euros was only 8 teams until 1996, and 32-team format World Cup only came in in 1998. Harder to qualify for some of those guys.

So, apologies if already been discussed, but what's the chances of Adam Davies getting his WC debut after Hennassy's sending off?

So, apologies if already been discussed, but what's the chances of Adam Davies getting his WC debut after Hennassy's sending off?
I’d say slim seeing as though the other sub keeper was brought on ahead of him when Hennessy was sent off.

Yeah, yeah, yeah

Brilliantly off topic ! Wales ?

Back
Top Bottom