Welsh Blades

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

TeztheBlade6

Reaction score
Just watching Wales v USA and thinking how many great players we have had over the years who were also Welsh Internationals or Managers. From my own age group I was always a fan of Gil Reece, & Dave Powell & not forgetting our Bradford Welshman Trevor Hockey in the 70s. Sad that that Gil and Trevor are no longer with us, but would welcome any news on Dave’s current health.

Current Welsh manager Rob Page was a solid player for us and was a leader when we were looking for one. My own favourite Welsh Blade though was Glyn Hodges. A maverick who could do magic when he was in the mood.

Bob Evans was, IIRC, the first Blade to play for Wales. I think he played for England as well, there was some dispute about his birthplace. Len Allchurch was one of my dad's favourites and from my generation there is Mel Rees.

I lived in Swansea for three years so always have a soft spot for Wales.

Just watching Wales v USA and thinking how many great players we have had over the years who were also Welsh Internationals or Managers. From my own age group I was always a fan of Gil Reece, & Dave Powell & not forgetting our Bradford Welshman Trevor Hockey in the 70s. Sad that that Gil and Trevor are no longer with us, but would welcome any news on Dave’s current health.
Last time I heard about Dave Powell was that he was one of the policemen on match duty when the Blades visited Ninian Park in October 1976. We won 2-0 with Stainrod getting both goals

I have and always will have a great fondness in my heart for all ex blade's players, but for the Welsh national team sod them, there is only one thing worst than a glouting Welsh man or ladie is a moaning one.

Dean Saunders for that cheeky goal. Rob page for the brilliant consistent defending. Mel Rees for some of the best goalkeeping i have seen. Gary speed for his playmaking. My magical lob over Peter Schmeical. Some wonderful memories. Rip Gary and Mel. Always a blade and never forgotten ⚔️

In the 80s they had Southall, Ratcliffe, Rush & Hughes, 4 of the best player in Europe at the time.
Obviously not that good though.
They played in a very sub standard English top flight, and Rush and Hughes went abroad for better quality football, which didn't work out for them, especially Rush.

Just because the English media called them top class didn't mean they were.

I mean, the same media didn't consider Messi top class unless he proved it in the Premier League

Obviously not that good though.
They played in a very sub standard English top flight, and Rush and Hughes went abroad for better quality football, which didn't work out for them, especially Rush.

Just because the English media called them top class didn't mean they were.

I mean, the same media didn't consider Messi top class unless he proved it in the Premier League
In the years up to Heysel, English sides won 7 out of 8 European cups and 2 out of 5 UEFA cups when it was a big deal. Admittedly there was a big drain of talent and subsequent drop in quality in the 2nd half of the decade but even then England performed well in the 86 and 90 world cups.

The English top flight was a long way from substandard.

In the years up to Heysel, English sides won 7 out of 8 European cups and 2 out of 5 UEFA cups when it was a big deal. Admittedly there was a big drain of talent and subsequent drop in quality in the 2nd half of the decade but even then England performed well in the 86 and 90 world cups.

The English top flight was a long way from substandard.
The European competitions were not taken that seriously during that period of time by any of Europe's big hitters

How else could Malmo, Monchengladbach, Bruges, Rapid Vienna have got to the finals

English clubs were just the best of a bunch of clubs that took it seriously

The European competitions were not taken that seriously during that period of time by any of Europe's big hitters

How else could Malmo, Monchengladbach, Bruges, Rapid Vienna have got to the finals

English clubs were just the best of a bunch of clubs that took it seriously
The beaten finalists in the last 3 (and therefore most relevant) of those European cup wins were Real Madrid, Bayern Munich and Roma. These sandwiching Juventus' defeat to Hamburg led by 2 x Ballon D'Or winner against arguably the strongest Juve side of all time (Zoff, Scirea, Gentile, Brio, Cabrini, Tardelli, Bonini, Platini, Bettega, Boniek, Rossi. Managed by Trapattoni).

You're talking bollocks, in a nutshell.

Back
Top Bottom