Weir should stay:

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

CG Blade

Reaction score
Preparing to be flamed here, but my view is that David Weir should stay;
We simply cannot go on changing managers, I am sure we all have ideas who we should bring in as a new manager, but realistically how do we know that any new manager could make this squad play any better.

A slightly different scenario but most will remember in his first two seasons, Ched Evans was slated, as being crap, to me at that time he was not being played to his strengths. Wilson came along, played to his strengths and we had the goalscorer we craved.

Weir has to be allowed the time to develop what he wants, I also think as we now have a new wealthy backer, that he should be allowed the money to pay off the players he doesn't want, and replace them with the players he does. I am pretty sure given a free rein, then many of the players we have on the books he would get rid off, if he is not allowed the money to pay players off, then it is going to take longer for him to get the team he wants.

Even with the current team we will finish nearer the top than the bottom. My view he needs the time, and we need to be more patient than we as fans are showing at the moment.

Stands back and waits to be assassinated...........

We simply cannot go on changing managers, I am sure we all have ideas who we should bring in as a new manager, but realistically how do we know that any new manager could make this squad play any better.

A slightly different scenario but most will remember in his first two seasons, Ched Evans was slated, as being crap, to me at that time he was not being played to his strengths. Wilson came along, played to his strengths and we had the goalscorer we craved.

Weir has to be allowed the time to develop what he wants, I also think as we now have a new wealthy backer, that he should be allowed the money to pay off the players he doesn't want, and replace them with the players he does. I am pretty sure given a free rein, then many of the players we have on the books he would get rid off, if he is not allowed the money to pay players off, then it is going to take longer for him to get the team he wants.

Even with the current team we will finish nearer the top than the bottom. My view he needs the time, and we need to be more patient than we as fans are showing at the moment.

Spot on mate

Agree for the most part - it is still too early, and in a game and a half we've seen the type of football he wants us to consistently play - and in that, I liked what I saw. Had we seen nothing of that, I'd be more worried - it's a case of him finding the way to make that the norm. The constant chopping and changing suggests he's still getting to grips with what his best XI is.

However, let's not get a mentality that we can't get rid of someone 'because there's been too much change'. Not changing someone when they are clearly incapable and damaging the club is nearly as bad as changing someone before they've been given the chance. I'm not saying Weir is incapable - but if results don't improve that opinion will eventually change...

I think the fact that he was playing against third division as opposed to second division defenders had more than a little to do with Evans' improvement.

I don't disagree but a hypothetical question;

Now that we have HRH's wonga behind us we will be attractive to managers previously thought to be beyond us as an L1 club......so, say in 5 games time we have only managed to draw a couple of games and have picked up another 2 points, we are rock-bottom of L1 with 6 points from a possible 36.

It becomes apparent that someone like Gus Poyet, Roberto Di-Matteo or someone of that ilk is available and will come. Do you stick by your initial post...?

Everyone was willing to give Weir a great deal of patience and understanding in a transition period and, if we were now mid table, and had intermittenly played some good stuff and some bad stuff as Weir worked out what he wanted to do, no-one would be complaining.

The problem is that no-one in their wildest nightmares would have predicted that after 7 games we would be in the relegation zone and have played atrociously in every game (apart from the first one against ten man looking like relegation certs Notts County). We have massively under performed under Weir and - lest it be forgotten - after Wolves we still have the greatest resources of any team in the division. There's is no way in any sort of reasonable world that Sheffield United should be struggling against relegation from the 3rd division.

Yes, it is early days and I would give the guy a bit more time, but at the moment the signs are that - frankly - he is out of his depth and that it was a huge mistake to appoint him. When you make a huge mistake, it is no good pig headledly refusing to admit the mistake. You take action to rectify the mistale as much as you can.

The issue is the magnitude of the change he is trying to implement (and none of us know this).

If it truly is root and branch reform leading to a better future then I am prepared to give him a lot of slack as these things are very difficult, take time and I imagine football clubs and the stakeholders in them are very resistant to change. However, there is the possibility that this is all flam covering up lack of experience and his bosses need to make that judgement.

As always, your post is well thought out and well argued. But sometimes you come up with pearls like this:

You can so tell you are a teacher...

I mean, for fuck's sake. The "l" is next to the "k" on the keyboard, so the latter is obviously a mistype. What do you want me to do - proof read my posts as if I were doing a submission to the high court?

Do you get off on this?

I agree, who would want to come in the real world to a club who pulls the trigger this often, how many managers in the last 4 years now?? We used to laugh at the likes of Manderic a few years ago at other clubs sacking managers for fun, just look what happened to those clubs.

All these sack him now fans would be initially happy, then what happens as there won't be another manager waiting in the aisles, history tells us KM isn't that astute.

So what happens, stand forward Chris Morgan, time to play the hero with a damaged playing staff who don't know who's staying, who's going, what formation etc etc, then more losses and damage to Morgs' managerial career, followed by relegation.

We've got too many lightweights, lack of ability, wage robbers, no real leaders, and worst of all a distinct lack of confidence crossing the white line of a saturday afternoon, so what can we really expect from this bunch of players which the majority were third division players last season.

One more thing, even if we are not brilliant for the first half on Saturday can we not boo them off, just get behind them.

Rant over!

You can so tell you are a teacher...

I mean, for fuck's sake. The "l" is next to the "k" on the keyboard, so the latter is obviously a mistype. What do you want me to do - proof read my posts as if I were doing a submission to the high court?

Do you get off on this?
It was meant in friendship.

These past five years - we'll call them the" excellent bit of business (ebob) years" - we've had several re-structurings and "fresh starts". The number of different chief execs/directors must run into double figures. The fortunes and quailty of the first team has declined and continues to decline. We've had development squads that have developed fuck all. In the last four years I can only think of Matt Lowton that's been anything worth shouting about coming through the ranks - ranks which got pumped by 4 and 5 at the weekend and results last season were not encouraging either.

And sacking Weir sorts out all this out?

Weir should stay BUT... he needs to change the system. It's not working with the players we've got.

Take Connor Coady for example, he is clearly a good player but is being made to look worse than useless a la Leon Britton, James Harper & Dingle Howard. All great players but unless utilised correctly in the correct formation then they are useless.

A Liverpool fan at work constantly asks how Coady is doing and he genuinely thinks i'm taking the piss when I say he's shit. Apparently he adopts a "shoot on sight" policy in the Steven Gerrard mould. I am yet to see Connor Coady shoot. This is definitely down to DW, so please Mr Weir - Stop Being So Stubborn and realise this ISN'T working. Change it.

I'm prepared at the moment to cut D.W a bit of slack , how many managers do we need to go through before we all realise that sacking everyone does'nt work , its the reason were here now , if we get the striker we all realise we need in . {not Mr King} , with the midfield we will have , the striker we hope to have he could then turn it around and start playing the soccer we all want to see , however if it does'nt turn around in the next couple of months then I'm afriad he would'nt be up to the job , so then would be the time to bring in a new manager , let's not forget that when bournmouth turned it around last year they , they went from bottom to top in jig time , yes I know they sacked their manager , but were trying to change something at our club and nothing comes without a bit of pain , chin up Blades it could be worse we could be as deluded as our debt free pigs , and think were a big club . Happy birthday Darren , { thats to me by the way.} UTB.

I agree: Short termism is exactly that
It's about time we sacked a few players and kept the management team intact
We (and many other clubs) never seem to learn

How does sacking players work then? (I wouldn't sack Weir now BTW, but I would demand some progress soon).

UTB

Yeah why not because this club are loaded now we can afford relegation bring on Plymouth, Newport, Mansfield that will be awesome. Hey while were at it set some new records most games without a win, ??? hours without a goal.

Let the good times role :D

I hope all the posters on here saying give him time and hope for the best , will be the same for players who are not good enough

I hope they will chant their names as theyre called out on the team sheet and cheer loudly every time they do anyhting positive , more importantly I hope they give the players a standing ovation every time they leave the field regardless of results

Lets start a revoloution lets be the first football club where winning and losing doesnt matter because youre allowed to be shit because getting rid of you and replacing you with someone better is not an option

Sufc the caring club

As a Doncaster man, I remember the frustration over Sean O'Driscoll's early results until his players started to 'get it' at the Rovers.

Weir's very promising first match should have led on to fortune, but the loss of KMc stopped that renaissance dead in its tracks. You can say there ought to have been a plan B, but that's easier said than done when you are skint, ever tried to keep an old car going anyone? if you can't afford the spare parts you are done for.

It is too early for a rash sacking.

BTW when posters suggest someone is out of their depth at this level it makes me giggle. I genuinely believe the run of managers are just useless and really that half the people on this forum could do as well. Its a bit like when toddlers pick companies to invest in and they out perform hedge fund managers in the stock market, just because a profession manages to achieve some 'mystique', it doesn't mean that the idiots are any good at it.

I think the fact that he was playing against third division as opposed to second division defenders had more than a little to do with Evans' improvement.

That is a school of thought, however my view if we had played to his strengths, in the first 2 years of his contract, then perhaps we would not have been in the third division (or League 1 if you prefer to call it that)

That is a school of thought, however my view if we had played to his strengths, in the first 2 years of his contract, then perhaps we would not have been in third division (or League 2 if you prefer to call it that)

Well, as when he was absolutely pathetic (2009-10 4 goals), we finished 8th and as when he was a bit better, but still not brilliant (2010-11 9 goals and top scorer), we got relegated, I can't see there is much mileage in that argument.

"A slightly different scenario but most will remember in his first two seasons, Ched Evans was slated, as being crap, to me at that time he was not being played to his strengths. Wilson came along, played to his strengths and we had the goalscorer we craved."

Maybe I read this wrong or took it the wrong way but......

Maybe if we got a new manager in.... he could make Lyle Taylor , Jose Baxter Fabian Brandy and Murphy start playing well like danny wilson did with ched.....maybe a manager who doesn't need 5 games of losing and drawing to poorer opposition to realise a system isn't working....

Weir has never proven him self so what gives you this faith that the direction he is trying to steer us in, that he is willing to sacrifice match after match, point after point to acheive, will even be any good anyway?

Don't know if anyone agrees but I'd scarifice passing around at the back and keeping the ball, for afew more goals and a couple of wins right about now......

Well, as when he was absolutely pathetic (2009-10 4 goals), we finished 8th and as when he was a bit better, but still not brilliant (2010-11 9 goals and top scorer), we got relegated, I can't see there is much mileage in that argument.

I think he took a long while to sort his game out. He is/was naturally gifted and that was clear from the off, but against other naturally gifted players you need the intelligence to be able to know where to be and a what time.

There were plenty of times when there were runs he should have been making which in the stands looked obvious but he wasn't making. In 11-12 he had instinctively worked it out and the rewards came. Whether that was down to him alone is debatable, certainly Wilson should take some of the credit for that.

I think he took a long while to sort his game out. He is/was naturally gifted and that was clear from the off, but against other naturally gifted players you need the intelligence to be able to know where to be and a what time.

There were plenty of times when there were runs he should have been making which in the stands looked obvious but he wasn't making. In 11-12 he had instinctively worked it out and the rewards came. Whether that was down to him alone is debatable, certainly Wilson should take some of the credit for that.

And those slower third division defenders....

Take Connor Coady for example, he is clearly a good player but is being made to look worse than useless a la Leon Britton, James Harper & Dingle Howard. All great players but unless utilised correctly in the correct formation then they are useless.

A Liverpool fan at work constantly asks how Coady is doing and he genuinely thinks i'm taking the piss when I say he's shit. Apparently he adopts a "shoot on sight" policy in the Steven Gerrard mould. I am yet to see Connor Coady shoot. This is definitely down to DW, so please Mr Weir - Stop Being So Stubborn and realise this ISN'T working. Change it.

Britton, Harper and Howard are great players?

Britton does a good job for Swansea in a very specific role but he's very limited as a player. Harper was an integral part of a very good Reading side but has been poor everywhere he's been since (although he remains the best pointer in the game) and Howard is living off one cup run at Barnsley.

The Coady 'shoot on sight' thing is interesting. He's looked incredibly reluctant to shoot whilst he's been with us. I had put this down to either a lack of confidence or him not being very good at shooting. I find it hard to imagine that DW says 'even if you get in really promising positions, I don't want to see shots from outside the box.' Even if he does, I'd expect players to ignore that instruction if they felt they were better off shooting.

And those slower third division defenders....

A determining factor of course, but I'd say not the main reason for the upturn in scoring form. He would have scored plenty had he still been in the Championship that season, he was a much more intelligent player that previously, irrespective of the opposition.

Back
Top Bottom