We are not having a Director of Football?

All advertisments are hidden for logged in members, why not log in/register?

Silent Blade

Reaction score
Apologies if the below link has been posted and discussed elsewhere. I thought Wilder's departure was about him not wanting a Director of Football to be in charge of transfers?

Apologies if the below link has been posted and discussed elsewhere. I thought Wilder's departure was about him not wanting a Director of Football to be in charge of transfers?

Was just about to post on this myself so if theres to be NO Dof, what was the real reason for Wilder to walk away

If the replacement is at least ambitious and the summer transfer activity generally positive, then I wonder how Wilder's exit will end up being universally viewed.

Wilder is in a winning situation

The only way the Prince can be right is if we have success

And that ain't happening

Silent, there's another couple of articles over there that are worth a read,

There's one about Berge, https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport/football/news/jurgen-klopp-made-interest-sheffield-20193701 (when we beat Liverpool to the next big player), and another about Brewster https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/spor...-brewster-sheffield-united-liverpool-20139345 (when Wilder spent someone else's money).

The point is I don't think there is any single reason for what's happened with Wilder.

The question is, what went on in the mind of Wilder during the first lock down. Did he have too much time to think of himself as the new "Big-head"?

This was posted by Purple Rain on another thread from Beerschot model:

‘From my experience they will not appoint an official DOF but the owner and his friends will in practice act as a factual DOF and the new manager will need to accept working with the players brought in by them. That way they stay more in the background and leave it more mysterious who exactly is responsible for what and prevents from becoming a clear target for criticism if signings do not work out. No DOF at Beerschot but in practice VW decides who comes or goes.’

Various fans have decided that it was a DoF that caused Wilder to walk, mainly those who have criticised his signings. I don't think anything official has been said.
I think PurpleRain has it about right, I can't see this United World plan being put together just so they can allow the managers of the clubs to follow their own recruitment policy. It only makes sense if it is a co-ordinated policy with someone like vW at the centre of it. Whether that was being pushed now, who knows? Whether it was being edged in on the quiet and Wilder saw it.... again who knows? But as I've said elsewhere, even if it was an issue, there must be a lot more to Wilder going than this.

‘From my experience they will not appoint an official DOF but the owner and his friends will in practice act as a factual DOF and the new manager will need to accept working with the players brought in by them. That way they stay more in the background and leave it more mysterious who exactly is responsible for what and prevents from becoming a clear target for criticism if signings do not work out. No DOF at Beerschot but in practice VW decides who comes or goes.’
Interesting, cheers.

According to the Examiner the new manager will have control of all incoming and out going players.
Obviously within a budget
The prince is getting all the grief here let's see what developes!
Not done himself any favours but he is the owner.

It's a great position to be in isn't it, place wilder under a gagging order then release a statement saying the "club are not having a DOF"

We'll have to wait a few years for the book to come out...

if player recruitment wasn't an issue why was the brewster transfer mentioned as the story broke?

Why no incoming, loans in January to help the manager with a depleted first team, never mind depleted squad..

The club is making out as if there was no reason to leave, as we know the Prince backed him and 90% on here said let's go again next season, this one's done.

No reason to leave, chairman wanted him to stay, fans on side, but they've paid him 7mill to end his contract...

Wonder what was in that contract that they wanted to break then???

Maybe they allowed the speculation they were having a DOF to continue to get him out and now he’s gone they say they are not having one .

you would have thought with all the speculation that there would be a DOF over the last few weeks they would have stated this weeks ago unless it didn’t suite their agenda

Maybe it's because Wilder has been rubbish in the Premiership with his signings so they questioned it, but nobody can ever question the messiah. Our best team on paper is still the one that came up with us. Berge for Lundstrum that's it (i’d probably have an in form Duffy over them both at the moment), most would still have Henderson over Ramsdale if offered. Sharp / McGoldrick are our two top scorers still.

As the press found out when they asked him if he feared for his job after not winning in 20 games, they were shot down immediately. Imagine being the prince

Last edited:
Wilder's rubbish premiership signings:

Max Lowe
Oliver Burke
Ravel Morrison
Jack Rodwell
Jack Robinson
Callum Robinson
Panagiotis Retsos
Richairo Zivkovic

I'll give McBurnie, Brewster, Ramsdale, Freeman and Moose the benefit of the doubt they could come good.

Wilder was a great wheeler dealer in the lower leagues and still an extremely good coach/ man manager but he was terrible with money to spend. Then just blamed the board when everything went wrong on the pitch, we created absolutely nothing this season.

The team that got promoted would beat today’s team despite having spent £130m.
No back up for JOC
No midfield players with flair.
Players purchased and not playing.

Wilder was wonderful at getting players to go an extra yard and to play what was initially a unique system.
He had minimal ability to improve the core group that got promoted
He would not change formation or tactics

whilst a DOF was not required to make decisions, someone was required to use as a sounding board, to discuss and throw ideas around. I do however get the impression that because CW wanted his fingerprints on everything he would not accept advice.

The team that got promoted would beat today’s team despite having spent £130m.
No back up for JOC
No midfield players with flair.
Players purchased and not playing.

Wilder was wonderful at getting players to go an extra yard and to play what was initially a unique system.
He had minimal ability to improve the core group that got promoted
He would not change formation or tactics

whilst a DOF was not required to make decisions, someone was required to use as a sounding board, to discuss and throw ideas around. I do however get the impression that because CW wanted his fingerprints on everything he would not accept advice.
I'd go as far as saying that League 1 side would as well.

This is worth re-quoting:

... This bares repeating so I hope a lot of eyeballs see it. United's signings are made by the transfer committee. All members of said committee can bring ideas for players to the table. Every signing is ratified by a vote. If Brewster was proposed and was downvoted by a majority of the Prince's men (the majority are not CW's coaching staff!) then the signing doesn't happen. It was revealed earlier this season that Wilder was initially overruled re the Bogle signing and had to persuade members of the committee. The signings for good or bad are the decision of the whole committee of which CW has one vote. It's the height of disingenuousness to lay 100% of the blame for signings at his door. What is happening now is the football staff are getting their votes taken away from them, and wont stand for it, even though the Prince has a majority on the committee already and can already overrule them. That and other things. The irony, of course, is that the DOF will become the autocrat CW is being made out to be.

I don't know the inner workings of SUFC but the above seems to ring true with what we know.

For those who aren't interested in doing anything other than heap every ounce of failure of the signings on Wilder regardless, consider this - I'll give you a tenner and send you in to Harrod's, if you don't come out with a canteen of silver plated cutlery from Carr's, is that your fault or mine? If your answer is "Wilder was given a small fortune" then you don't know how much Harrod's charges for its cutlery. If your answer is "the streets of France are paved with cheap but extremely fine quality cutlery" then you need a dose of realism and fast.
People need to start applying some balance to the signings situation, Wilder is not blameless, but nor is he exclusively at fault. Some of the expectation of what he was supposed to have done is beyond ridiculous.

This is worth re-quoting:

I don't know the inner workings of SUFC but the above seems to ring true with what we know.

For those who aren't interested in doing anything other than heap every ounce of failure of the signings on Wilder regardless, consider this - I'll give you a tenner and send you in to Harrod's, if you don't come out with a canteen of silver plated cutlery from Carr's, is that your fault or mine? If your answer is "Wilder was given a small fortune" then you don't know how much Harrod's charges for its cutlery. If your answer is "the streets of France are paved with cheap but extremely fine quality cutlery" then you need a dose of realism and fast.
People need to start applying some balance to the signings situation, Wilder is not blameless, but nor is he exclusively at fault. Some of the expectation of what he was supposed to have done is beyond ridiculous.

I misread that.

Just rang Halfords for a price on some Cutlery.

They put the phone down

It's a great position to be in isn't it, place wilder under a gagging order then release a statement saying the "club are not having a DOF"

We'll have to wait a few years for the book to come out...

if player recruitment wasn't an issue why was the brewster transfer mentioned as the story broke?

Why no incoming, loans in January to help the manager with a depleted first team, never mind depleted squad..

The club is making out as if there was no reason to leave, as we know the Prince backed him and 90% on here said let's go again next season, this one's done.

No reason to leave, chairman wanted him to stay, fans on side, but they've paid him 7mill to end his contract...

Wonder what was in that contract that they wanted to break then???
If by mutual consent! No way will he be getting that kind of pay off.
If the prince is as switched on as when he rolled mccabe the pay off will be minimal and probably linked to him getting another job.
Of course you maybe previ-to the contract
or something similar.Wilder gets £7 million? he will have rolled the prince

Wilder's rubbish premiership signings:

Max Lowe
Oliver Burke
Ravel Morrison
Jack Rodwell
Jack Robinson
Callum Robinson
Panagiotis Retsos
Richairo Zivkovic

I'll give McBurnie, Brewster, Ramsdale, Freeman and Moose the benefit of the doubt they could come good.

Wilder was a great wheeler dealer in the lower leagues and still an extremely good coach/ man manager but he was terrible with money to spend. Then just blamed the board when everything went wrong on the pitch, we created absolutely nothing this season.

I think it's wrong to give the others the benefit of the doubt.
They didn't come good when they needed them to & now we're relegated.

Oli McBurnie in particular has been a huge let down. He shows once every 5 or 6 games that he can be decent at the level, then he regresses into a non-entity. £20m we paid, & I don't think he's scored any more than a handful of goals.

Mousset? I don't even know where to begin on that one.
Although, at least he did have a purple patch. However brief. And that purple patch directly contributed to a decent points return. What's happened either side of that...

Back
Top Bottom